Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Problems with nginx on new Cloud3k VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Problems with nginx on new Cloud3k VPS

AmitzAmitz Member
edited October 2012 in Help

Dear all,

I must kindly ask for your help again. I have installed nginx on dozens of VPS and never came across the problem that I am facing now on my new Cloud3k box. When I try to (re-) start nginx, I get the following error message:

nginx: [alert] mmap(MAP_ANON|MAP_SHARED, 2097152) failed (28: No space left on device)

Here are some values from my /etc/sysctl.conf:

# Controls the maximum size of a message, in bytes
# kernel.msgmnb = 65536

# Controls the default maxmimum size of a mesage queue
# kernel.msgmax = 65536

# Controls the maximum shared segment size, in bytes
kernel.shmmax = 68719476736

# Controls the maximum number of shared memory segments, in pages
# kernel.shmall = 4294967296

Needless to say that I have 900 MB RAM and 49 GB disk space free.

What am I missing? I am really pulling my hair right now! Thank you very much for any hint in advance!

Kind regards
-A

Comments

• Pleeeeaaaase! ;)

• AsadAsad Member
    edited October 2012

@vdnet

@Amitz Tried Google...? Quick search turned up some helpful posts http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nginx%3A+mmap+failed+(28%3A+No+space+left+on+device)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • edit /etc/sysctl.conf by adding following line at the end of the file:

kernel.shmmax = 268435456

reboot.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2012

I would not dare to come here without google'ing the problem first! ;)
    None of the "solutions" are working, unfortunately. Most of the results are in russian and/or chinese and most have nothing to do with the concrete problem.

As you can see above, I already tried to raise the kernel.shmmax value, but it still does not work, even after a reboot.

I wonder: Is this something that has to do with the provider's settings for the container or is this something that I can fix?

Again, thank you all & kind regards
    -A

• I tagged @vdnet who runs Cloud3K so maybe he can help, or submit a ticket in their billing system.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Thank you - I wanted to be sure that it is not a problem on my side before bothering the provider with things that they are not responsible for. I am an old-school customer, you know... ;)

• I did also post on the nginx support forums and it seems as if it indeed has something to do with the provider's settings for the VM. Strange, really. Never faced those restrictions before...

• Interesting as I know Devon = @vdnet uses nginx for most of his sites. Let me see what i can figure out.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • I raised the shmpages size of your server (shared memory allocation). It was assigned incorrectly, if it still isn't big enough, just let us know.

Thanks!

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Works like a charm now - thank you, Devon!

• @Amitz always just hit them up Devon is an amazing guy and will help you if he can.