Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for partners - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for partners

Comments

• mazgalin said: Secondly if there are many companies doing the same that means there is room for more.

So basically . . . you did no market research, and now that several people have pointed out the service you want to provide already exists, you're in "well, there's always room for more" mode?

This seems very haphazard.

Thanked by 2jvnadr 4n0nx
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited October 2015

mazgalin said: First of all I did not say it's the next Facebook, I just said that I have project that from my point of view can be a success.

There is room for people starting on an existing idea, but with good management, skills, ideas and much work can do miracles.
    The problem with you is that you came to a random forum searching for partners with skills (!), you tried to present yourself and your idea like something innovating, then, when people started to criticize you because of what you wrote, you changed your initial text to disappear the marks of what you originally claimed and then, post by post, changing all the initial meaning of your original thread.

mazgalin said: And last you are judging people without knowing them.

I'm not judging you, I spotted on your poorly try to find other people to get them jump in your wagon, with ambiguities and exaggerations. And there is no fault on your English, or misunderstanding.
    Anyway, I hope this thread will be for you a lesson and little bit step for improve a better approach to your project which, true hope, be successful.

• While I was the first to jump on him because his first post was stupid, after reading all the other things he posted describing his plan, I will say that it is a viable plan, if executed well.

In case you don't know, there are services that do fine with offering plain html hosting, like https://www.bitballoon.com and https://divshot.com/ The latter was actually acquired by Google to use it along Firebase.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • AgaAga Member

deadbeef said: I will say that it is a viable plan, if executed well.

Almost anything can be a viable plan when well executed. Maybe I didn't word my previous comments the right way.

I really think it can be a good service, but it wasn't really well thought out, and it's seems like he's not taking into account some things that he needed to (at least as I see it).

This kind of oversight IMO it's a deal breaker, if the owner of the idea can't care enough why should anyone?

To be fair, I'm not his product target audience and could be overthinking some aspects of his business module.

But I still think that DDoS protection is not a acessory you can throw in products to make clients see "you're working to improve the product", neither is email. And it would be more appealing if the themes/plugins were homegrown and I couldn't get it anywhere else.

A lot of people here keep jumping on provider because they resell OVH (or anything else), how can this be any different than that?

Some may say that it's different because he has some sort of panel, website builder, extra function. The same could be said about any vps/dedi resseler here.

The fact that the themes/plugins are third-party and bound to a license to him and not the client doesn't make it really usefull to me. Since I would probably not be able to easily move my site to another provider if I ever need.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

mazgalin said: Secondly if there are many companies doing the same that means there is room for more.

HOLY CRAP! We've discovered the LowEndTalk Motto.

• deadbeef said: While I was the first to jump on him because his first post was stupid, after reading all the other things he posted describing his plan, I will say that it is a viable plan, if executed well.

Yes, now that I know what the plan is, I think something like that could be a good idea, but I could probably execute it better than OP, so doesn't make sense to partner.

Thanked by 1Aga
  • AgaAga Member

singsing said: but I could probably execute it better than OP, so doesn't make sense to partner.

Are you teasing the OP, since he was cleary afraid someone would steal his idea?

• singsing said: Yes, now that I know what the plan is, I think something like that could be a good idea, but I could probably execute it better than OP, so doesn't make sense to partner.

And this is why you never ever post / reveal your ideas in public. Any person with better resources can make use of them / beat you to the market

• AgaAga Member

ez2uk said: And this is why you never ever post / reveal your ideas in public. Any person with better resources can make use of them / beat you to the market

Actually this is why ideas are more or less worthless. Even if OP hasn't disclose his idea some of the people here could probably execute better in a fraction of the time and/or cost OP will have.

At the end of the day the idea doesn't, you can arrive early in the market and still sunk hard when a better executed version of 'your idea' arrives.

• @ez2uk said:
    And this is why you never ever post / reveal your ideas in public. Any person with better resources can make use of them / beat you to the market

This is wrong, for two reasons:

a) Everyone is talk talk talk and no one is taking action. Nobody is going to implement because talking is easy but action is hard. And those who act, are already swamped with things to act upon.

b) When you have "an idea", it's an unproven thing. When you implement an idea and you don't go down, it's kinda proven. A man of action has to be utterly stupid to go for an unproven thing instead of a proven thing, ceteris paribus.

• deadbeef said: And those who act, are already swamped with things to act upon.

Yup. Actually, this is why, in all seriousness, I'm not going to be implementing OP's idea ...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've toyed with the idea of recreating the gatsby.io service. I've never gotten far enough to price it out though. It would have to be some kind of freemium model, with perhaps charging for premium things.

Dammit now you all have me thinking about it again.

• @raindog308 said:
    Dammit now you all have me thinking about it again.

See? ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Your biggest problem at this point is not having a developer. As a developer reading this post actually hurts. You're basically trying to profit on shortchanging the developers that make your idea possible. I'm not going to bash on the general idea because if you really want it you could be successful with a company built on top of it. The idea I don't like is the part about the themes. One license is not equal to i can give this out to everyone. If you really want to get off the ground I'd say hire a developer possibly one that can make themes as well. Focus on the base of it and get it running. Don't take your devs for granted they can make your dream into a reality.

• TehRawrz said: As a developer reading this post actually hurts.

TehRawrz said: Don't take your devs for granted they can make your dream into a reality.

Wow, I don't think I've ever read such a blatantly self-serving post before.

As a "dev", you are worth what you can sell your services for on the free market and no more.

Thanked by 2george_zip deadbeef
  • @aga When users want to move out i provide them the theme and plugins he is using as I was a designer of the website. He gets his website with all his content and everything. He will not receive updates or anything. If he wants to go ahead and continue have updates and everything he is free to go an acquire the subscriptions for the various themes and plugins as he would normally do.

@microlinux I already did my market research and yeah there is still a lot of room in this niche. Keep in mind that wp.com grows at 50k sites daily ( around 80% of these are spammy and built for SEO purpose and 20% built by private users for their own things). Also keep in mind that atm only half of the globe have a stable internet connection.

@jvnadr I am sorry if what I wrote made you think I had the idea for the next facebook. I did not changed i just explained better so that people can understand. Yes I blew it with the first post and I'm trying to work and fix that. There is always room for improving.

@deadbeef The guys here on this forum are 99% developers and their point of view is regarding options for developers. This is not what I am trying to do. There are lots of awesome solutions for them.

@raindog308 ...

@singsing That is an awesome idea. You should do it.

@tehrawrz I could always hire one :-) As for the wp themes and plugins read this http://stewaard.com/2015/08/27/leadpages-vs-elegant-themes-unethical-innovation/

• AgaAga Member

So everytime someone want to move out you will give them a copy of plugins and themes because you were the 'designer of the website'. Let's see how long does it take before your hard time with licenses begin.

There're one thing you're not being able to wrap your head around, DDoS protection is not an 'options' for developers. Actually products for developers are usally way more raw than anything you have described. DDoS protection is one of the things that will keep your product on, and or customers paying you.

How well do you think you can build a business on top that ideia if your clients get easily DDoS anytime, for anyone without too much effort?

And how will you handle all that DDoS on your clients sites? You said early that you were planning on do hand-holding support for your clients, how do think it will be if you get 10 clients after midnight on Saturday (of your timezone) starts to open ticket because their site is down. If you billing/ticket system get ddosed too, how well things will go?

DDoS and a lot of 'techie' things that were mentioned in this thread is not some 'developers point of view feature', they make your product more reliable. DDoS protection is not even bullet-proof it helps,but it will not save you every single time.

I'm under the impression you have the misconception that since your product is for a layman end-user everything that is more techinical doesn't need to be properly addressed.

It's actually the other way around, you can get away with a lot of things in your product when your target audience is highly techinical, because they will (at least most of them) understand what they are getting, and how they are getting.

• Aga said: How well do you think you can build a business on top that ideia if your clients get easily DDoS anytime, for anyone without too much effort?

I think it's probably a lot easier to build a business not based on DDoS protection, or at least sit behind someone else's "DDoS protection" that probably doesn't protect. Doing DDoS protection for real is a huge cost, and most regular Joe aren't at risk of attracting DDoS attention.

• AgaAga Member

singsing said: think it's probably a lot easier to build a business not based on DDoS protection

I agree with that, and maybe it's the way I readed what OP said, but it's seems that he's ignoring any aspect of the business that it's not directly related with the end-user fluffy panel he has envisioned.

He said that his former partner "continued adding new features ( email, ddos protection, dns replication etc)" and I take that as he was working on the best way to do those things, not that he was really coding a custom solution for every single on.

I agree that you can buid a product without all of those things, but I don't think any of them are 'options for developers'.

OP has provide little detail and I'm making a lot of assumptions like that former partner had more knowledge/experience in the tech aspects than OP. Since OP seems unable to finish what is 'simpler' in his own view.

I don't know why OP former partner saw the need to do those things, but I'm not too inclined to assume it was realy unnecessary. Could be that ex-partner was a dick and want to do things his way, or it could be that OP haven't given all the details about what lead his former partner to go down that road.

Again, I do think it's smart for OP to outsource the headache of dealing with DDoS protection to upstream provider, but I have no reason to believe that this wasn't what former partner was trying to do.

• All my work is gone, thanks to motherfuckers that don't know to communicate.

I'll just abandon it as it seems impossible for me to do it on my own.

If anyone want 7 months Softlayer account with 1000$ monthly credit let me know.

• mazgalin said: If anyone want 7 months Softlayer account with 1000$ monthly credit let me know.

And the trolling moves to layer 7 ...

Thanked by 1Aga
  • @singsing why do you have to be so stupid?

• AgaAga Member

mazgalin said: All my work is gone, thanks to motherfuckers that don't know to communicate.

Why are you so angry?

mazgalin said: I'll just abandon it as it seems impossible for me to do it on my own.

How is that anyone's fault?

• I'm angry cause the guy that managed servers just deleted everything without saying anything. Weeks of work are just gone. Having an idea and looking for peeps over the internet is not the way to go. I've learned this the hard way.

The only good thing is that I didn't spent 1 cent from the money i got from customers, so I can send their money back.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2015

mazgalin said: I am not providing much info about the project ( I do not want to give the same idea to others and find myself with a lot of competition).

This is a giant, giant red flag. If others knowing your idea makes it impossible for you to compete, then you will not survive - clearly you have nothing to offer in terms of proper execution and quality of service, as you even believe yourself that others will outcompete you on that.

Ideas are not valuable, it's the execution of them that matters. Everybody has ideas.

EDIT: This is meant as genuine advice, by the way, if a bit harsh.

• It's only my fault. I'll just continue my day to day job and start learning.

• @joepie91

You are right on that. I started from a plain idea thinking that it wasn't that hard to make it real. I was so wrong about that.

Well I am happy that i learned some stuff on the road.

I just wisj i knew the guy in person, I would be going at his house right now with gas and ligher.

• mazgalin said: I'm angry cause the guy that managed servers just deleted everything without saying anything. Weeks of work are just gone.

You mean you never bothered to set up daily backups? Niiiiice.

• AgaAga Member

singsing said: You mean you never bothered to set up daily backups? Niiiiice.

It's a "developer feature" his clients would not want that.

• @singsing said:
    You mean you never bothered to set up daily backups? Niiiiice.

There should be a backup somewhere, since I'm not the technical guy I don't know to tell.