Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for partners
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for partners

Hello everyone my name is Madalin and I'm from Italy. A couple of months ago i started working (2-3 hours daily) on a managed WordPress network. At first i was not sure that this would be a revolutionary service, but as time passes i understood that this project could be very useful for the community.

I also managed to form a team ( 4 members ) but as time passed some of them started to brag on adding new features that would over complicate things for the project. I have to say that some are very valid features for the project but not the right time to implement. Cause of this my decision to not implement certain features some of the members left the team without saying nothing, the bad thing about this is that they left me with lots of issues that i cannot fix since my technical knowledge is a bit limited.

I am not providing much info about the project ( I do not want to give the same idea to others and find myself with a lot of competition).

If anyone is interested in getting more info please leave your email address here and i will contact you with more details.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

Hi there,

Please excuse me for off-topic, but I have a curiosity: Are you an Italian or Romanian living in Italy ?

Best of luck !

• I like your masterplan for attracting able people:

I'll let them know how I failed as a project manager, how my project doesn't have any income generating scheme worth mentioning, I'll hide my "idea" because it's "the next Facebook" and they will flood me with applications.

Sounds like a solid plan.

• @Andreix said:
    Hi there,

Please excuse me for off-topic, but I have a curiosity: Are you an Italian or Romanian living in Italy ?

Best of luck !

I was born in Romania, my parents moved to Italy when i was 6 years old.

Thanks.

Thanked by 1Andreix
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited October 2015

Translation:

I registered here just today, so, I am new and nobody knows me.
    I have this super duper idea that nobody else has thought it, and I want peopel with technical skills to develop it, but I will not disclose details because the idea is indeed super duper, so, I don want any of you creeps steal it from me!
    The idea is soooo good, that is like the new facebook. So good! But I do not know any other people that can jump in this ship, so, I signed today to this random forum to find random people that they will work for me, without even known anything about the idea. Because it is that good!
    The only people I found till now to develop my idea, jumped out the ship because they thought they was partners and proposed things. Things I rejected. And they abandoned me! What kind of morons are they?

• @deadbeef said:
    I like your masterplan for attracting able people:

I'll let them know how I failed as a project manager, how my project doesn't have any income generating scheme worth mentioning, I'll hide my "idea" because it's "the next Facebook" and they will flood me with applications.

Sounds like a solid plan.

Having a solid plan is one thing. Putting it to act is another thing.

I failed as a project manager but i learned a lot in the process and I am also ready to leave the management part to someone else if this can provide real value to the project. As for revenue the project uses a freemium model.

Thanks for your comment and non interest in this.

• @jvnadr said:
    Translation:

I registered here just today, so, I am new and nobody knows me.
    I have this super duper idea that nobody else has thought it, and I want peopel with technical skills to develop it, but I will not disclose details because the idea is indeed super duper, so, I don want any of you creeps steal it from me!
    The idea is soooo good, that is like the new facebook. So good! But I do not know any other people that can jump in this ship, so, I signed today to this random forum to find random people that they will work for me, without even known anything about the idea. Because it is that good!
    The only people I found till now to develop my idea, jumped out the ship because they thought they was partners and proposed things. Things I rejected. And they abandoned me! What kind of morons are they?

Yeah you got that right.

• Not interested but I'll ask an obvious question.

Does it generate revenue?

• Not much but it does generate revenue.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Sounds like the old gatsby.io before it folded. I forget the guy's name who ran that but he was a regular here. Jolly good chap.

• raindog308 said: Sounds like the old gatsby.io before it folded. I forget the guy's name who ran that but he was a regular here. Jolly good chap.

@ElliotJ IIRC.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @raindog308 said:
    Sounds like the old gatsby.io before it folded. I forget the guy's name who ran that but he was a regular here. Jolly good chap.

I saw the threads about that gatsby.io being closed, this is something similar.

• @mazgalin said:
    I saw the threads about that gatsby.io being closed, this is something similar.

Please no if you aren't going to give up details what you are up to yea don't expect much people to jump on as it appears some people jumped out when they found out what your definition of "partner" was sorry but when you say partner they are on the same level you are on and have as much say as you do so I don't blame the people that jumped when they found out that correct definition of partner wasn't your definition sorry please just don't sign up on a random forum ask for "partners" but don't say what they will be developing or what the idea is or anything as no offense but I know that I and many other people would be offended if I basically coded the "idea" blindly but yet in the end got stolen and was presented as their own project when I did all the work and you are calming credit for it
    Like what happened to how Facebook was started like when young mark Zuckerberg coded for someone but yet stole their idea and used the code he build for them as his own which started Facebook as we know it today

• @timnboys said:
    -snip-

For the love of, please discover the location of , and . on your keyboard.

• Can someone just email the dude and disclose what is this all about lol.

• cosmicgate said: Can someone just email the dude and disclose what is this all about lol.

OP already said, it's "managed WordPress". So OP's idea is probably a WordPress installer/maintenance script that can be sold as managed WordPress.

• singsing said: OP already said, it's "managed WordPress". So OP's idea is probably a WordPress installer/maintenance script that can be sold as managed WordPress.

If this is the case, then...

• Ok looks like some of you are more trolls that people interested. In any case just for the sake of thoose that might be interest I am going to provide as much info i can.

The project is a managed WordPress network and not a managed WordPress hosting. It's built on top of WordPress multisite. The difference between this and many others out there that tryed this approach are the following.

Hosting is high quality and not one single VPS that will crash as soon as you get to a couple hundred users.

Themes and plugins are 90% premium ( cooming from Elegant Themes, StudioPress, WPMUdev, WooThemes and some from the official repository) There are more than 200 premium themes for which users don't have to pay a subscription. You know there are lots of users out there that pay expensive subscriptions just to use 1 theme for 1 website. I own subscription with al of them ( i have Elegant Themes life time subscription, the other are all yearly subscriptions).

The main theme is Divi that from my point of view is one of the most awesome and easy to use themes out there. It will allow end user to build an awesome website without having to code. To provide a more unified building experience i've activated the Divi Builder Plugin that works with any theme on all account by default so users can use the same drag%drop builder with any theme available.

Some of you might question me " What about support?" We will provide support for everything ( keep in mind that users will not get access to the actual themes and plugins files)that means there will not be complicated support requests. The purpose of the support is to answer and resolve all issues related to building the website, blog or whatever they want to build ( not really sure how WooCommerce works on multisite so shops for now are not doable for now).

Security well is all handled by us and the job is not that complicated as a real managed WordPres hosting where users get to upload themes and plugins that are downloaded from who knows what website. Everything is clean, and it gets updates as soon as new updates come.

I am planning to add a wilcard SSL cert as soon as i get some more funds to spend on this so every single subdomain will be covered.

As for my old partners 1 of them actually left the team cause he wanted to do things on his way. He continued adding new features ( email, ddos protection, dns replication etc) that took our attention from more important things such as ( improving user flow inside dashboard, setting up a proper documentation center, build demos for each theme etc).

Might seem something stupid not adding new features but what do we use them for if we did not yet launched? It's all wasted time from my point of view. All these features could be added later when we already have a client base. This way they see we are working on improving things and adding new features. This would add more value to the service.

If anyone have any more question let me know.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2015

mazgalin said: He continued adding new features ( email, ddos protection, dns replication etc) that took our attention from more important things

/thread

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited October 2015

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

You're violating the Elegant Themes license, no matter which level you subscribed at. ET allows you to setup Divi for someone as a designer...not be a hosting company that says "hey everyone can use this theme".

And btw, there are many, many hosted WO companies, at all price levels.

• @raindog308 said:
    You're violating the Elegant Themes license, no matter which level you subscribed at. ET allows you to setup Divi for someone as a designer...not be a hosting company that says "hey everyone can use this theme".

And btw, there are many, many hosted WO companies, at all price levels.

I already asked on each of the theme providers support forums and they told me I can do it as long as I dont share the actual files.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

This is the wrong forum to get your stuff going , If I may say its better you go hire people on freelance to do it for you cause all they want is money for the work they do rather than partnership. Here no one's interested in your money or partnership because your explanatory skills are close to 0 and that makes you look shady.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @BharatB said:
    This is the wrong forum to get your stuff going , If I may say its better you go hire people on freelance to do it for you cause all they want is money for the work they do rather than partnership. Here no one's interested in your money or partnership because your explanatory skills are close to 0 and that makes you look shady.

I see. Well thanks for the tip.

• mazgalin said: The project is a managed WordPress network and not a managed WordPress hosting.

mazgalin said: I am not providing much info about the project ( I do not want to give the same idea to others and find myself with a lot of competition).

To help you, https://google.gr/search?q=managed+WordPress+network&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=TH8qVsWvJYGbygPTn6ngCA there are tons of those services. And by companies that can back up the whole infrastructure by their own datacenter and a lot of skilled technicians, so, what's the new facebook you bring in there?

mazgalin said: Themes and plugins are 90% premium ( cooming from Elegant Themes, StudioPress, WPMUdev, WooThemes and some from the official repository)

Are you sure all of those companies are willing to allow you to sell multiple copies of their designs, with just one license? Do you have their written permission? And what do you mean that they allow you if you don't share the actual files? It is other to have in a WP installation a multisite, and other to resell websites with customizing the templates. Very gray area, IMHO...

mazgalin said: Some of you might question me " What about support?" We will provide support for everything ( keep in mind that users will not get access to the actual themes and plugins files)that means there will not be complicated support requests. The purpose of the support is to answer and resolve all issues related to building the website, blog or whatever they want to build ( not really sure how WooCommerce works on multisite so shops for now are not doable for now).

So, your platform will be something like blogspot.com for WP, but with less recourses (maybe a dedocated server?). I still don't see the new, here...

mazgalin said: I am planning to add a wilcard SSL cert as soon as i get some more funds to spend on this so every single subdomain will be covered.

An... innovation platform the owner of it cannot afford buying a wildcard ssl? And, if I understand correctly, every WP site will rely on a subdomain? Not their own domain?

mazgalin said: He continued adding new features ( email, ddos protection, dns replication etc) that took our attention from more important things

And this is where you screw it completely. You think that DDOS protection to a WP platform and email support for a guy with limited knowledge to built his own site is not so important? And that those things maybe will be added later, depending with the success of your project?

mazgalin said: All these features could be added later when we already have a client base.

You are obviously lack of tech knowledge, in marketing capabilities and in business administration. And your idea is not new at all.

Something really new would be a big free WP platform backed up by a very big hosting company with owned datacenters, with tons of templates and real protection. And the profit could be done from addons, extra services like e-commerce, priority support, bigger space etc.
    Else, could you give yourself a simple reason why this could be a success, when you clearly do not have a big funding base to really support it?
    If you throwing a little money in it, just think it a little better.

/close

Thanked by 34n0nx howardsl2 Aga
  • AgaAga Member
    edited October 2015

mazgalin said: Themes and plugins are 90% premium ( cooming from Elegant Themes, StudioPress, WPMUdev, WooThemes and some from the official repository)

So, your idea is basically sell a wordpress managed host wher your clients have the same themes they could get on this places but they don't really have access to the files or right to edit?

When you first hear/read your idea it may sound like a good idea, but then you realize that you will probably use the same theme for at least one year, and it's turn out to be kind of pointless pay to have all those opitions if you will only use one.

mazgalin said: As for my old partners 1 of them actually left the team cause he wanted to do things on his way. He continued adding new features ( email, ddos protection, dns replication etc) that took our attention from more important

I like the way you think, planning a head on what you could make to reassure your custom that it was a good deal implementing new features... to bad you are doing it as a cheap marketing trick.

The absence of DDoS protection , DNS replication will probably be a deal breaker for a lot of people. I get that it's your vision/project and you have the right to say how and when things should be done. And is also everybody else to just walk away from you, and let you sail your very own perceived Titanic by yourself.

mazgalin said: that they left me with lots of issues that i cannot fix since my technical knowledge is a bit limited.

This is your problem, you know your tech knowledge is limited, so you found a partner that has better tech knowledge. Your partner, that you got because of his tech knowledge start to implement things he thinks is important. And his opinion is based on the aforementioned tech knowledge.

And your response towards that is 'Do it my way'

He then realizes that he can do something better with his time, or maybe he just though it wasn't worth sine you were 'cleary more interested in marketing gimmicks' than in building a reliable product.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • First of all I did not say it's the next Facebook, I just said that I have project that from my point of view can be a success.

Secondly if there are many companies doing the same that means there is room for more.

Third I can use all the themes and plugins that are released under GPL license, basically i can do whatever i want with it.

Forth The wildcard ssl is going to be implemented before launching to public, if i decide to do it now or next week is my problem.

Fift I am not interested in providing these services as of now. They will all be implemented. There are things more important. Such as the ability of users to order domains from their dashboard, have a more stremlined dashboard that dont confuse user and that shows him exactly what he needs to do in order to build a blog or website.

And last you are judging people without knowing them.

Everyone is good at making a service with a large funding base. I would like to see how many people can do it with limited resources.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • AgaAga Member

mazgalin said: Everyone is good at making a service with a large funding base. I would like to see how many people can do it with limited resources.

Nearly every single top tech company started with limited resources, if they have any resource at all.

• @aga The idea is to have a managed WordPress network with all the GPL licensed themes and plugins available. Of course i cannot add all the wp.org plugins as this is not the scope of the service.

The service is simple. User registers and get a free subdomain type url site.domain.com, he gets access instantly to his dashboard where he can activate whatever theme and plugin he wants. No hassle for updates, no external subscription to pay and complete support for the plugins and themes used on the network ( keep in mind that every theme and plugin present is tested prior to be made available to all users).

He can than decide if to make his site or blog public or private ( you know you can hide it from publix while you build it and than make it public once is ready).

Once their website is done they can decide if to continue using the free plan or to uppgrade to a higher plan that gives access to more plugins and themes, more space, dedicated via email support and ability to map a custom domain.

• @aga Yes that is true. That what i wanted to say to the other peep but i did not express myself good. English is not my main language.

Keeping the costs low can allow me to have lower entry price than many similar services out there.

• AgaAga Member

mazgalin said: @aga The idea is to have a managed WordPress network with all the GPL licensed themes and plugins available.

I get that, my point is what happens when the client for some reason want to move out to another provider? Will you give him a legal copy of the themes/plugins he's using, or he will have a db dump and nothing more?

And if he needs a specific change on one of thoses themes/plugins will you start to maintain forks everytime this happens?

I got that it's seems like a good business model to offer this kind of stuff, it could be perceived as cheaper. But it's also has a lot more shortcoming than buying directly from the vendor, and on the practical side of things it could end up being more expensive for the customer.

A really thing that you could do better if you used homegrown themes and plugins. I get it's way more work than you probably wanted to have right now, but it would consider it a better deal if your themes/plugins are your owns, and you could really have a say if the customer needed to move to another provider, or need extra features inside some plugin.

mazgalin said: Keeping the costs low can allow me to have lower entry price than many similar services out there.

That's not too realistic way to see things, at the end of the day your price will have a direct correlation with your providers price (i.e themes/plugins providers, datacenter/dedi/cloud providers, domain name providers)

If you are buying every single thing from other company chances are that you will not have lower entry price than many similar services.