Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No desktop allowed in Linux
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

No desktop allowed in Linux

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited October 2012 in General

To be honest I am a little speechless over this one...what's next? No VPN? No MySQL? No JAVA?

Dear Users,

I want to start this off with thanking everyone for there business. It has come to our attention that with a lot of people running a desktop on there VPS that are system is under heavy loads. From this point on we are going to disallow the use of desktops on our VPS servers. This is also going to be posted on our acceptable usage policy. If you are already running desktops, you will have till October 10, 2012 to backup and migrate your files. On October 11, anyone, who is running desktop on our VPS platform, will have their vps terminated without any backup.
If you have any
inquiry, please open a support ticket and we will be more than happy to help you .

======

Best Regards,

NinjaHawk Team

Thanked by 2klikli sudo

Comments

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited October 2012

I doubt it's heavy usage of CPU but more of the desktop actually consuming the RAM your meant to be guaranteed especially if it's on a OpenVZ node.

Thanked by 2klikli Wintereise
  • DavidxDavidx Member
    edited October 2012

But if your renting the so called "dedicated" resources, why would it matter if you ran a desktop gui?

Then again, I could see Ninjahawk doing this.. hahahaaa

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Desktop environments don't really put as heavier load as some other things that people run on their VPS's...

/me is confused.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • TazTaz Member

Average linux desktop on a ovz node is a disk killer. It is not actual CPU but the i/o. Had couple of users running desktop firefox and torrents and almost crapping the node.

Thanked by 1marrco
    edited October 2012

Well then ban torrents then, not the whole GUI.

Maybe I'm missing something, fill me in.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk You should then investigate and if they're running illegal torrents and punish those who are abusing it and not all clients who may use the gui for genuine browsing etc. which shouldn't consume too much :/

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: Average linux desktop on a ovz node is a disk killer. It is not actual CPU but the i/o. Had couple of users running desktop firefox and torrents and almost crapping the node.

Not really. Limit firefox, kill torrents, suggest alternatives to clients. Torrents will happen with or without desktop. Firefox is just because they don't know any better.

Thanked by 2Infinity TheHackBox
  • @Infinity said: Well then ban torrents then, not the whole GUI.

Agreed and I am sure some torrent packages could run on command lines as well...

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • TazTaz Member
    edited October 2012

@jarland said: Not really. Limit firefox, kill torrents, suggest alternatives to clients. Torrents will happen with or without desktop. Firefox is just because they don't know any better

Killing firefox = killing desktop for most of the users.

To clients, Open a support ticket and we will try to work things out.

• jhjh Member

I think this is the wrong approach as well :/

• TazTaz Member

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: To clients, Open a support ticket and we will try to work things out.

• jhjh Member

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: To clients, Open a support ticket and we will try to work things out.

We posted at the same time :P

Thanked by 1Taz
  • nunimnunim Member
    edited October 2012

I wouldn't want to host with someone who is trying to disallow GUI's, it makes no sense, needlessly restricts my freedoms and makes me think your nodes are overloaded. Torrents are disk killers, but anyone seriously torrent isn't running it in desktop GUI, and this won't stop them.

If you're providing dedicated resources I should be allowed to use them as I please as long as I'm not doing something illegal.

• nabonabo Member
    edited October 2012

@nunim said: If you're providing dedicated resources I should be allowed to use them as I please.

Especially since he's advertising the VPS as follows: "All VPS's come with complete root access for you to manage your server how you want. Be your own master."

Thanked by 1Chan
  • TazTaz Member
    edited October 2012

I do not like to repeat my self over and over again.

• I once ran a remote desktop environement (Windows) on a 512Mb VPS, and of course there was some swap. The provider simply suggested a (discounted) upgrade to the 1Gb plan; I agreed and everyone was happy. The provider sold a upgrade and I had a faster VPS.

• @pcan said: I once ran a remote desktop environement (Windows) on a 512Mb VPS, and of course there was some swap. The provider simply suggested a (discounted) upgrade to the 1Gb plan; I agreed and everyone was happy. The provider sold a upgrade and I had a faster VPS.

I think Taz has mentioned the issue is with disk I/O, they are worried that the I/O might be trashed because of torrent users...

Don't kill Firefox, limit it. I've got people running processes that go overboard when presented with a few CPU cores. They can run on less, but they take what's there. I limit the processes and notify the clients. Easy, no intrusion on their goals, smooth system for everyone else.

• Plus I mentioned to check his ionice setup and such, it might help by prioritizing the streams

• TazTaz Member

To our users,

If you are using GUI for your regular purpose, you are more than welcome to continue. Our TOS has clause for seeding and torrent but we were not applying any hard limit with that, which is bound to change by this week.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am not sure you are doing it right.
    If that was allowed, it should still be allowed, if you can no longer provide it on current nodes, create others, put them on SSD, whatever.
    Changing the rules midgame is not good IMO.
    I know for sure Uncle has tons of problems with ppl running desktop+firefox+flash+torrents in 128 RAM, he complained a lot about it and how this is part of the joys of being present on LEB/LET.
    M

• TazTaz Member

@Maounique said: If that was allowed, it should still be allowed, if you can no longer provide it on current nodes, create others, put them on SSD, whatever.

Changing the rules midgame is not good IMO.
    I know for sure Uncle has tons of problems with ppl running desktop+firefox+flash+torrents in 128 RAM, he complained a lot about it and how this is part of the joys of being present on LEB/LET.
    M

Our TOS, never allowed any torrent nor high resource usage.

• @Maounique said: I know for sure Uncle

Why do you call him Uncle?

@Maounique said: firefox 128

I didn't even know you could say "firefox" on 128mb of ram...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Kairus said: Why do you call him Uncle?

Uncle Sal. @prometeus

• @Kairus said: Why do you call him Uncle?

Mr. Salvatore is older than M and me :)

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Mr. Salvatore is older than M and me :)

Means I should call pretty much everyone here uncle too..

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I doubt the node is loaded because of the desktop GUI. There must be something else wrong, Taz.

• @Infinity said: Means I should call pretty much everyone here uncle too..

:O How old are you?