Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lastpass Alternative: what do you choose? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lastpass Alternative: what do you choose?

2»

Comments

• Enpass looks like a nice alternative to KeePass. Might be worth testing it.

• linuxthefish said: How do people trust some of their most important data to a program that you don't control, can't modify or see what code it's running?

Lastpass is client side JS; you can see the code just fine.

Droidzone said: You're mistaken. It can export to csv, which can be imported by keepass

Good, one less point on my list, now i just need to get it to actually set the interface language to English and not based on my IP to German...

• @William said:
    Good, one less point on my list, now i just need to get it to actually set the interface language to English and not based on my IP to German...

You can set that on first launch. It doesn't do IP detection.

I'd worry more about them being owned by LogMeIn at this state.

• mpkossen said: You can set that on first launch. It doesn't do IP detection.

I did that - It still is German, might be cached somewhere along the way though.

• @William said:
    I do like lastpass (thanks Fusl ) but they don't allow you to export your data in a useful format (like XML or CSV) (IIRC) so i'm pretty afraid of what happens when they go bankrupt - The code is client side so there could be (an illegal) clone but that does not help if you don't have the DB itself in a raw format stored somewhere. I would feel much better if they had an option to download the DB or export it to a cloud service (Gdrive, OneDrive, S3, whatever).

You can export your DB in various formats using lastpass pocket: https://lastpass.com/misc_download2.php (last download on the page)

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I switched to 1Password. Not perfect but good enough.

• If 1Password could just sync via WebDAV...

• tr1cky said: You can export your DB in various formats using lastpass pocket: https://lastpass.com/misc_download2.php (last download on the page)

That looks like Windows only - I use a Mac.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited October 2015

@William said:

Guess this thing is the same for Mac: https://lastpass.com/pocket.dmg

• tr1cky said: Guess this thing is the same for Mac: https://lastpass.com/pocket.dmg

Thanks, works fine :) Now i just need something that exports my keepassX DB into CSV or alike, all the Mac client allows is as KDBX

• Lastpass Icon in Firefox -> Tools -> Advanced Tools -> Export To -> {LastPass CSV File,Firefox,LastPass Encrypted File,Form Fill Profiles}

• nfnnfn Veteran

What about passpack.com?

• @William said:
    I do like lastpass (thanks Fusl ) but they don't allow you to export your data in a useful format (like XML or CSV) (IIRC) so i'm pretty afraid of what happens when they go bankrupt - The code is client side so there could be (an illegal) clone but that does not help if you don't have the DB itself in a raw format stored somewhere. I would feel much better if they had an option to download the DB or export it to a cloud service (Gdrive, OneDrive, S3, whatever).

Not sure what you mean. LastPass has no vendor lockin with data and your free to take it.

@Fusl said:
    Lastpass Icon in Firefox -> Tools -> Advanced Tools -> Export To -> {LastPass CSV File,Firefox,LastPass Encrypted File,Form Fill Profiles}

• I use 1Password, works fine for me on Mac.

• I post this in every "LastPass alternatives" thread, but seriously guys, take a look at Grinsafe. It's self-hosted and works really well!

• What does one need a password storage for when you can store it in the browser? Idgi

• @4n0nx said:
    What does one need a password storage for when you can store it in the browser? Idgi

Do you really trust your browser to store things securely? Admittedly all the top dogs do this a lot better than they used to but that hasn't always been the case (search for "browser passwords plain text").

Do any of them gate access to the passwords well? Any multi-factor authentication? You have to be daft to leave a machine logged in and unlocked, but it you accidentally do then the stored credentials are anyone's to use if they gain access to said machine. There is similar danger with having a separate site or application like keepass (you still have the credentials and the clients accessible on the same machine) but things being that little bit less automatic offers a small amount of safety net.

Can your browser password store be easily used cross platform?I use a mix of Chrome, Firefox, IE and Chromium on WIndows (desktop), Android and Windows Phone? Even if you don't use more than one platform now what happens if you decide to switch later, can you export your credentials store between them or do you have to reenter everything?

For many people their browser's password store is perfectly sufficient, but their are many reasons why you might want something else.

• @MeAtExampleDotCom so it is useless after all! :p

(if you only use FF on all platforms)