Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lastpass Alternative: what do you choose?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lastpass Alternative: what do you choose?

michaelphanmichaelphan Member
edited October 2015 in Reviews

hey guys,

what do you choose for alternative since Lastpass was sold themself for a bad reputation Logmein? (follow the link if you want some funs when reading the comments)

I write an article to help people know some names to consider jumping out of the ship before too late. So I want to ask you guys if knowing another name with good service, affordable price, rich features, good security to add to my list: Lastpass Alternative: Top 12 free, open source, premium password management (no ads)

Comments

• I am trying out Intel TrueKey looks decent.

Thanked by 1michaelphan
  • @masterqqq said:
    I am trying out Intel TrueKey looks decent.

Yeah, just take a look at it. Very awesome! How can I miss a very good one like that :) Will add it to my list.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2015

What's with everyone jumping ship from LastPass so quickly? LogMeIn has never been untrustworthy when it comes to security or anything like that; they've just made some questionable price hikes.

In this case they've said LastPass's business model won't be changing and the existing team will stay in place. Maybe that'll turn out to be true or maybe it won't, but either way there's no reason to start panicking until and unless we start seeing actual negative changes.

Thanked by 1Falco33
  • another spam :P

• keepass/keepassx.

tommy said: another spam :P

• is there any alterbative with autosync between devices and selfhost?

Thanked by 1michaelphan
  • DashLane, it just works and has pretty good ui. Got a sweet discount when i purchased for 5 years.

Thanked by 1michaelphan
  • @robohost said:
    is there any alterbative with autosync between devices and selfhost?

Basically 1Password and KeePass should support this as you control how the files get synced.

I've got a KeePass database in my Dropbox which I can access from all my devices (Windows, Linux, Android). It works perfectly fine.

Thanked by 1michaelphan
  • @mpkossen said:
    I've got a KeePass database in my Dropbox which I can access from all my devices (Windows, Linux, Android). It works perfectly fine.

Will owncloud work for database storage? i prefer to store my password in my own server.

• @robohost said:
    Will owncloud work for database storage? i prefer to store my password in my own server.

I believe you can store the database using multitude of ways including webdav and sftp.
    So i guess owncloud is possible.

• @masterqqq said:

thank's i'll try it tomorrow hope it will work

• souvarinesouvarine Member
    edited October 2015

Here's a nice comparison table: http://notlastpass.rockettech.net/

I prefer KeepassX myself, old school.

Thanked by 1michaelphan
  • I've had database version conflict with owncloud and I don't why.

But the same happened with dropbox earlier this year, but with text files.

So, yeah, it could work, just don't save changes from multiple locations.

I find I write to my keepassx database every day so there's a greater possibility of version conflict.

robohost said: Will owncloud work for database storage? i prefer to store my password in my own server.

• I just migrated to 1Password from LastPass. They got promotion on the Windows + Mac bundle.

• @seikan said:
    I just migrated to 1Password from LastPass. They got promotion on the Windows + Mac bundle.

Awesome! The Windows version is on sale as well. Always wanted to get one of them just in case, so now is a good time.

• Remember to use the coupon "MacPowerUsers" to get additional discount during checkout. I bought the bundle at $33.59 USD.

• @robohost said:

Sure.

@seikan said:
    Remember to use the coupon "MacPowerUsers" to get additional discount during checkout. I bought the bundle at $33.59 USD.

He tells me now :-(

• mpkossen said: He tells me now :-(

Already made your purchase? :(

• using 1password for about a week now. so far so good. i use only windows but i still used that Discount for Mac Power Users, payed only $23.99. there are lot that i miss in lastpass but 1password has its own beauty. :)

• Is it better than keepass/x?

marl said: using 1password for about a week now. so far so good. i use only windows but i still used that Discount for Mac Power Users, payed only $23.99. there are lot that i miss in lastpass but 1password has its own beauty. :)

• As i have said in the past Roboform is the way to go :)

• seikan said: I just migrated to 1Password from LastPass. They got promotion on the Windows + Mac bundle.

For $41? That's more than thrice the cost of Lastpass.

• +1 for keepass 1/2

• I do like lastpass (thanks @Fusl ) but they don't allow you to export your data in a useful format (like XML or CSV) (IIRC) so i'm pretty afraid of what happens when they go bankrupt - The code is client side so there could be (an illegal) clone but that does not help if you don't have the DB itself in a raw format stored somewhere. I would feel much better if they had an option to download the DB or export it to a cloud service (Gdrive, OneDrive, S3, whatever).

• @Droidzone said:
    For $41? That's more than thrice the cost of Lastpass.

but its lifetime (though when a new (major) version comes out you have to pay for it again), but using your license is lifetime for current version you are at.

@GM2015 said:
    Is it better than keepass/x?

sorry didn't had a chance to look at keepass, though i considered it before.

• How do people trust some of their most important data to a program that you don't control, can't modify or see what code it's running?

Open source KeePass for the win!

• I use http://enpass.io with built-in sync

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • @linuxthefish said:
    Open source KeePass for the win!

Can it auto fill in Android apps?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I moved to 1Password a while back.

It is not as slick as LastPass, as you have to do a keystroke to auto-fill. But otherwise, it's been working fine on Mac, Windows, and iOS. I use Dropbox sync.

• @William said:
    I do like lastpass (thanks Fusl ) but they don't allow you to export your data in a useful format (like XML or CSV)

You're mistaken. It can export to csv, which can be imported by keepass

Thanked by 1mpkossen