Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need good domain registrar and ssl certificates
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need good domain registrar and ssl certificates

svgnamysvgnamy Member
edited October 2012 in Help

Hello,
I cancelled my shared hosting in favor of vps and my shared hosting provider said I will be unable to register new domains with them or renew the ones I have. I want to start transfering my domains to another registrar. I see all the different registrars out there but I don't know which one to choose.

I've always used the registrars from my hosting company.

I remember using godaddy once, but the interface was weird. Not sure how it is now.

Any suggestions?

Inexpensive
good control panel

Also, I need SSL certificates for my vps so I can sell online.
An ssl so I can use it on more than one domain.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• jhjh Member

Namecheap

• @jhadley said: Namecheap

+1 (or name.com)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Name.com has a great interface, very personal and friendly support.

• Highly recomend either Namecheap or Internet.bs

• wdqwdq Member

They have average pricing ($12 for most TLDs) but I still prefer Media Temple for domain names. They have a pretty simple interface, consistent pricing, and so on.

• Internet.BS
    NameCheap.com
    Name.com

• I believe it's "their," Jack.

@Jack Yeah I'll post some in the morning. They don't have the same speed of support, but they're incredibly friendly. It's obvious that they're a small operation and that they don't want to be a huge impersonal registrar, at least to me. They actually answer phone calls too.

• Namecheap FTW

• There is wildcard SSL that can be used on unlimited subdomain, but if you would like to use on more than one domain, you have to buy new SSL :D

• NameCheap, Gandi, Name.com

• GoDaddy get's you a 5-domain SAN SSL certificate for $89.99/yr.

Or save 25% with my affiliate link.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2012

I mainly use:

internet.bs - when i don't want to have an american company behind it
    name.com - for anything else
    gandi.net - for rare domains (also free SSL, not sure if only for the first year)
    namecheap.com - for SSLs

• Hey I use godaddy for most of mine. Some People don't like them but I have no problem with thier domain service, hosting is another subject all together.

SSL I used rapidsslonline.com just depends on where i get them the cheapest.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited October 2012

For domains I would recommend Name.com (Has better UI, similar prices) or Namecheap

For multi-domain SSL you need SAN and it appears GoDaddy is cheapest for it or buy several $9.99 Positive SSL's from Namecheap

However we use https://www.thesslstore.com for our SSL certs but this is not up to everyone's budget :)

• I like rapidssl better than positivessl for it's reissuing and such and with chained cert's seem to work better.

@24khost said: Some People don't like them but I have no problem with thier domain service, hosting is another subject all together.

I do. About 12 hour ticket response time...

• @24khost I've never used Namecheap for SSL so can't tell but we have bought RapidSSL / TrustWave & GeoTrust from TheSSLStore and we can easily reissue to any domain with a few clicks so it could be an development flaw if you can't reissue PositiveSSL's at NC

• TazTaz Member

@jarland You do know that calling godaddy takes less then 5 minutes (No huge waiting list), and tends to get things fixed by phone as well?

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: You do know that calling godaddy takes less then 5 minutes (No huge waiting list), and tends to get things fixed by phone as well?

Nice to know, but I always assume calling someone their size has a minimum 20 minute hold. I can't guarantee that I'll be able to talk to someone in 20 minutes, that's just how my day goes. Migrating to name.com has been great though.

• @StormVZ I think i could have worded it better. I wasn't impressed with positivessl's reissue prcess as i lost my order number and with out it you can't reissue. with rapidssl all you have to have is the hostname.

@jarland Never had a problem with godaddy. My account got hacked(my fault) they helped me find a way to verify my account using the paypal account i just paid for a domain with. They helped me get everything fixed and didn't wait 5 minutes on hold. Never waiting for long with ticket response either.

• man. @jarland. nice domains ;-) new list ;-)

@Randy said: man. @jarland. nice domains ;-) new list ;-)

Just beginning to transfer some. You can see the first domain I got there, I bought from someone for fun.