Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What information do you require to... - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What information do you require to...

Comments

• I would just go to a $3.50 VPS provider that's also good and does not ask these things.

• I usually cancel if ask for id but other verifications is usually fine with me.

• @black said:

I'm getting successful queries without contact information. Is this a bug or have you just not implemented the required contact field?

• JoeMerit said: I'd revolt if my provider asked me for photo id and probably cancel

That.

VPSSoldiers said: But you would also revolt if the provider was null-routed for 12ish hours due to one customer spamming also (which is what ended up happening and why I started asking for these things).

Yes, because your datacenter is shit then. Utter shit. Shit that no one ever should use in any case. Idiotic choice, especially as i am sure you never asked them about abuse policy beforehand.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2015

Must agree with @William here. If the Datacentre is not provider friendly they should gost no providers.

If the Datacentre null routes for spam, instead of acting adequately and block port 25, they should host no one.

• I would force outgoing traffic through port 25 to a single host. Namely my own e-mail server with anti-spam features.

• blackblack Member
    edited October 2015

Jonchun said: I'm getting successful queries without contact information. Is this a bug or have you just not implemented the required contact field?

Queries after Dec. 1st will return an error if there's no contact information so I advise people to code in contact information now instead of forgetting about it later.

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

At some point if you get enough SBLs you will be shutdown.

@William and @Clouvider should we keep ROKSO customers? Ignore SBLs?

• dacentec said: @William and @Clouvider should we keep ROKSO customers? Ignore SBLs?

You are a pussy to bow in front of Spamhaus and get fucked by them (and you seem to love that), you sell your soul to some anonymous Swiss company.

You should NEVER just null an IP - You HAVE to contact the customer before and give him time to resolve the problem himself, at least 12 hours. Everyone does that, including Softlayer, Leaseweb and OVH and they never had escalation issues with Spamhaus.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@VPSSoldiers said:
    Jar have you ever used MailChannels?

Not typically cheap

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

William said: you sell your soul to some anonymous Swiss company.

Everyone deals with Spamhaus the same way, even the companies you mention.

William said: You HAVE to contact the customer before and give him time to resolve the problem himself, at least 12 hours.

What makes you think that we didn't do that? We always notify customers about the issue first, at least a couple times. It's easy to say crazy things and beat up on a provider when they can't share any facts.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2015

@VPSSoldiers said:
    Jar have you ever used MailChannels?

Btw, just tried this. IPs were listed at sorbs. I understand blacklist issues but if your entire purpose is to avoid it... fail :(

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited October 2015

Bad idea, 90% of spammers are stupid and come up on fraud record anyway

Just ask what email they are sending and how much and you should be fine, hopefully your spammers are as honest as the ones i see - "opt in newsletter" normally means spam...

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited October 2015

@VPSSoldiers We have a pretty simple policy that tends to work for our group. If you request reverse DNS we require you have a forward DNS setup before requesting and if the hosts look fishy or to be spammers we immediately notify the customer that we have a no tolerance spam policy and if they begin to spam from the server one or more of the following will happen:

1. We will block port 25 to your server if you fail to reply to any abuse notification in 24 hours (the first time, second time we block immediately port 25 until the issue is confirmed resolved). In your case you are blocking until they ticket which is fine, but you should still let them know that failure to handle an abuse issue in a timely fashion will result in port 25 being disabled again.

2. We will bill your account administrative fees for having to deal with cleaning any ips (which they also agree to in the TOS) which can be from $25 (our base charge) to $500 depending on the abuse seen.

3. If there is any repeat to the abuse or you fail to contact us within 72 hours on an issue we will suspend your service.

Asking for ID won't really prove more than they are able to generate a fake ID in the worst case, and that they exist in the best. Either way, this will not prevent them from doing what they are intending, so really, this doesn't help you much. People without morals and ethics will still be people without morals and ethics whether they have given you their ID or not.

Asking their intended use for the service is completely within your purview and if a client refuses to give you information about their intended use, it is likely they intend to spam and you don't need them as a customer anyways, so let them be upset and leave.

You let one customer get away with it or allow them to get around these rules and that information will make it out and you will start getting a ton of sign-ups requesting the same stuff. If you stand strong on your rules you will find quickly that they will be passed around and your abuse sign-ups will eventually lessen in the same way.

You drive your services policy, not your $3 per month customers, if they can't deal with your policy then they weren't really a good customer to begin with. Let them go. There are many more fish out there that will buy without the want to abuse your services. If you start catering to random people and giving in on your policy people will see this and simply start abusing you.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 2jar IgniteServers
  • @VPSSoldiers said:
    Valid Photo ID

What, no sperm sample?

• deadbeef said: What, no sperm sample?

Thats for every other port

/sarcasm

• Jar said: Btw, just tried this. IPs were listed at sorbs. I understand blacklist issues but if your entire purpose is to avoid it... fail :(

I was looking at this, then I saw the price.

• You could use some phone verification or sms verification service.

• tr1cky said: You could use some phone verification or sms verification service.

Spammers don't have phones?

• VPSSoldiers said: I was looking at this, then I saw the price.

That's only cost-effective for millions of e-mails.

Sendgrid starts at only $80/mo with Subuser API.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited October 2015

@singsing said:
    Spammers don't have phones?

It would add a layer of verification though and a waste of a lot of phone numbers, if people would repeatedly sign up to spam. I guess people will then move on and search for a provider where it is easier to spam.

• You can also search and report phone numbers in fraud record, so it makes it easier to track people

• I'm really looking for something transparent, not to hide the fact that I'm filtering but rather so people don't have to go through and setup a smarthost though maybe I should just do it that way and use something like SpamExperts.. At least then they have incoming filtering also...

• @tr1cky said:
    It would add a layer of verification though and a waste of a lot of phone numbers, if people would repeatedly sign up to spam. I guess people will then move on and search for a provider where it is easier to spam.

Ehm, phone verification "services" cost for $.10 to $.50 a pop. That's rather dirt cheap.

• singsing said:

You probably need to find a better DC, not a better solution. You realize Dacentec sells VPS as well? I'm not saying this influences their decision process, I'm saying the risk of this influencing their decision process is enough not to put yourself in that situation. You should deal with a data center that takes their co-location segment seriously enough not to have to complete in the VPS market.

I dont think that is the issue, I think they just don't want their IP space blacklisted.

Its not hard to monitor traffic flow on port 25 and then once a certain threshold is met, either send you an email or just suspend the VM.

You could also rate limit traffic on port 25

• @VPSSoldiers said:
    I'm really looking for something transparent, not to hide the fact that I'm filtering but rather so people don't have to go through and setup a smarthost though maybe I should just do it that way and use something like SpamExperts.. At least then they have incoming filtering also...

Setting up smarthost and pre scanning the Outbound mail would be the Good option for now as you said

Just my opinion

• simonindia said: Setting up smarthost and pre scanning the Outbound mail would be the Good option for now as you said

You may want to be careful with that, you are technically intercepting traffic

• MarkTurner said: You may want to be careful with that, you are technically intercepting traffic

What are the other options out there aside from filtering? I understand there is rate limiting but that didn't seem to work last time I tried as I ended up null-routed.

• Monitor the traffic volume on port 25 per IP. You'll see spammers right away, most of them are hit and run.

Or block port 25 by default and let customers request it from you. When they request it, you can then monitor port 25 traffic volume specifically.

Spammers don't send 2-3 emails a day and call that useful. You'll see a deluge of traffic very quickly

• blackblack Member
    edited October 2015

And make sure you say you rate limit port 25 in TOS or something so they won't even bother signing up.