Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which backup providers do LET users prefer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rchurchrchurch Member
edited September 2012 in Providers

Which are the most reputable?

Comments

• how much space are you looking for?

• Backup isn't a popular thing, The occassional thread pops up but other then that only a few providers offer it.

• Kimsufi 2G is pretty popular for backup/storage. (1TB disk which also comes with 100GB ftp)

Also have a Hostigation which I sync a few websites to daily.

• Kimsufi 2G + Crashplan Pro running on the kimsufi.

Duplicity scripts backups the LEB's to the Kimsufi (compressed and encrypted) and then Crashplan backs it up from the kimsufi up into their own storage space (encrypted yet again with a private key they don't have, just in case!)

• I'm currently running my own personal Dropbox-esque system using OwnCloud and SemoWeb. OwnCloud is completely free and open source.

I use their 100GB VPS promo with 100GB of additional storage. The 100GB VPS costs $6 per month and the extra storage is another $6 per month.

So far it works pretty well.

Thanked by 2rchurch Asim
  • @luma, @asad The Kimsufi looks interesting but there is apparently no RAID on their disks. Crashplan is something I will look into

@wdq Semoweb looks interesting. Is there a promo code for the 100GB offer? Are they good for their promises?

• @rchurch said: The Kimsufi looks interesting but there is apparently no RAID on their disks. Crashplan is something I will look into

It is a backup server with a second level of backups (Crashplan) no need for Raid or even multi-disk.

If the disk dies they replace it, set up the box again and then restore from crashplan and you good to go.

Might not be ideal for super important crazy important backups that you may need to restore within minutes but for backups of low end boxes and family photos it works great.

• Dreamhost have come out with their own storage plan just as I have been thinking about backups, with their own API etc, like Amazon S£. Prices are competitive, but transfer out isn't free.

I guess LEB providers have their adavantages (and disadvantages)

• Is anyone familiar with Hetzner's backup service?

It looks good for large amounts of storage.

• I'm using a hetzner xs13 for around 10 months. No problems at all.

• @rchurch I've been using SemoWeb for about a week now and I've had low latency, and 100% uptime along with pretty good support. So I'd say that they're a good host.

Just check out this page, under the VPS Promotions tab there is Promo 768M which is the 100GB VPS. Just open a support ticket once you get the VPS and they should give you the extra storage.

• @luma what upload speeds to CrashPlan are you getting from the Kimsufi 2G? What location is your 2G?

• @craigb I was getting 4-5Megabits per second but I found out the issue was not the network but rather the cpu. Crashplan uses a lot of cpu due to being Java, Encryption and Compression and on top of that it is single threaded so it was pushing the little Atom core to the max.

It is located in Roubaix.

Thanked by 1craigb