Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[PC Hardware Question] How to fix this? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[PC Hardware Question] How to fix this?

2»

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@24khost - then read next step "7. Checking the voltages".

• @24khost said: this doesn't check that it is sending the right voltage though.

PSU might be fried, as he didn't ground himself

• my guess is more the board than the power supply. if he gets any spin out of the cpu fan than it is most likley the pm on the board.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • hardware speaking pretty hard to fry a psu from not being grounded. not as delicate as memory and such.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • check out the RAM Memory, had that problem at school and i have put in new RAM sticks (Was a part of learning)

• In terms of damaging equipment through ESD (Electrical Static Discharge) from ourselves; unless the machine is before 2001, most compoments come with much higher ESD protection, touch wood, i've never had anything die out on me through this way, i've had CPU coolers be stuck like bonding resin through improper use of thermal paste, I've also had bread in a CD Drive, but I've never heard (recently) that ESD has broken anything.

As for this problem, your options are limited, unfortunately.

Get a multimeter, see if the PSU is working, do the hotwire test, remove/replace mb battery.

With no beeps for POST, I'd assume there's something PRE-BIOS happening, so indications move to PSU and MOBO, I highly doubt its a RAM/HDD/GPU/WHATEVER problem, since you'd have some form of post and beeps.

Good luck, let us know how you fix it!

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Randy said: PSU might be fried, as he didn't ground himself

I have NEVER ground myself in my 20 years of using computers and electronic boards, and NO card has been damaged ever since :P

• RandyRandy Member
    edited September 2012

@netomx said: I have NEVER ground myself in my 20 years of using computers and electronic boards, and NO card has been damaged ever since :P

Consider yourself lucky=)

@Randy said: Consider yourself lucky=)

I am ;)

Thanked by 1Randy
  • sleddogsleddog Member
    edited September 2012

@zhuanyi said: brand new power supply (as the old one is not working) and case

1. How did you determine that the old power supply was not working? By testing with a meter? If not, the root problem may not be the power supply at all...

2. You replaced the case? If so, have you double-checked to ensure that the front panel wiring is connected correctly to the motherboard? A power button doesn't do much if it's not connected correctly :)

Thanked by 1Randy
  • I ordered a Dell Perc 5 thanks to @damian a while ago, I am pretty sure I faulted it through ESD, So I bought two cables and just use them whenever I touch RAM/Controllers.

I also bought about 32GB RAM a month ago, and had atleast 4 faulty sticks. which was working on dispatch(before I had the cable), ESD Sucks.

@netomx said: I have NEVER ground myself in my 20 years of using computers and electronic boards, and NO card has been damaged ever since :P

Thanked by 1Randy
  • @netomx Do you normally leave the computer plugged in and lean on the case with your hand when you take things out of the computer? or put your arm on the case when your inside it? If it is plugged in you are grounded.

• pcanpcan Member
    edited September 2012

@zuanhi said: all i can do for now is to reset mother board by taking out the board battery and unplug everything that is not needed

According to your original description, there could be a short on power supply lines that trips the overcurrent protection circuit on the PSU; or the front panel power switch could have a short-circuit inside. To find the faulty component, you need to remove everything from the mainboard, including all the the RAM sticks; unplug all the cables including the front panel switches. Unplug all the internal peripherals. You should also remove the motherboard from the case, because there could be a loose screw trapped underneath the board. Use the screwdriver to operate the power jumper. Power should stay on and speaker should start to beep. If the fault is still there, check/replace motherboard and CPU. The replacement PSU could also be wrong/faulty.

Regarding the ESD suggestions: they are essential when the air humidity is too low. Inside a server room with cheap HVAC, for example, humidity is near 0% and huge ESD spikes could be triggered easily. On a regular room and modern hardware, the issue is much lower because most electronic boards must pass a mandatory test that simulates mild ESD spikes. On a previous job, I routinely zapped industrial electronic boards with a ESD simulator (a professional, calibrated spike generator) to check the ESD protection functionality.

@Jacob @24khost well my secret is that I always work on a metallic table, and I touch it before starting to work :P

• @sleddog said: How did you determine that the old power supply was not working? By testing with a meter? If not, the root problem may not be the power supply at all...

As soon as the computer is plugged into the electrical outlet (even before we pressed the power button), it short-circuited and blew up the fuse...

You replaced the case? If so, have you double-checked to ensure that the front panel wiring is connected correctly to the motherboard? A power button doesn't do much if it's not connected correctly :)

Yes, I triple-checked those one pin connector thingy...

• Is there a power/reset button on the board itself?

• @Kairus said: Is there a power/reset button on the board itself?

don't think so, the case does not have a cold reset button, just power.

• Dead motherboard, or twisted firmware, or roasted PSU, one of those three.

Clear the cmos bios and try for a normal boot, if that fails, well, you know what's dead...

• Don't waste any time, MB is burnt, gone, trashed....sleep now.

• Like I said originally theory on the board is fried

• sounds like motherboard is either short-circuited or burnt.

• OK, latest update: now the PC could be powered on (I am not sure what I did other than plug everything out and plug back in again), I can hear the hard drive started, the DVD drive is working and the fan on both the CPU and the video cards are working. However when the monitor is connected, there is no signal (monitor is working as we have plugged in a laptop into it) and I have tried to connect both to the onboard video card and the dedicated video card with no luck.

And worst of all, the PC will turn off itself after a while, but then I can restart immediately after.

Any help? Thanks a bunch people!

• nocomnocom Member
    edited September 2012

Check both
    1 x 24-pin ATX Power connector
    1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector
    Remove power cord from PSU,remove dedicated video card, remove all cables from hdd dvd(sata/ata cable,PSU power cable), unplug network plug usb anything, remove all PCI addon cards , remove cmos battery for 10sec THEN plug back cmos battery plug keybord and monitor only, plug power cord press POWER (it will be nice if you have conected pc speaker on motherboard)
    good luck