Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu Phone??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu Phone??

Currently i use an iphone, and have recently been looking at the ubuntu phone, now this is not to replace my iphone but more just to play with and see what it does, does anybody think its worth the money, an could this ever replace the iphone?

what do you guys think and why?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am also interested in this.

• bro....Ubuntu phone is good....but iPhone has a specific market .Most of the iPhone users will never go to Ubuntu or Android Phone..They are addicted to iPhone.

• @noaman said:
    bro....Ubuntu phone is good....but iPhone has a specific market .Most of the iPhone users will never go to Ubuntu or Android Phone..They are addicted to iPhone.

I am an iphone user, and im looking at the ubuntu phone, so your statement is not strictly true...

I like the iphone, but its all locked down, unlike android where you have a lot more freedom, so im just trying to find out a little more information about the ubuntu phone, do you have any decent imput on the ubuntu phone?

• GNULinux said: an could this ever replace the iphone?

Android already replaced the iPhone (at least for everyone who is cost-conscious). So it could only replace the iPhone in the sense of being a "hip", fashionable phone that is more expensive than Android. I don't think it will make it.

• Buy a Nexus 5, install ubuntu touch on it. I am running that way.

• @windytime90 said:
    Buy a Nexus 5, install ubuntu touch on it. I am running that way.

Do you think that would be better then just buying an actual ubuntu phone?

Its a shame we can install our own choice on the iphone lol

• Unless you have use console, manually edit files, look for drivers everytime, it might do but... I don't think that's an easy to achieve thing.

Give it sometime before trying I'ld say.

• here is the ubuntu phone

Main switchboard number: +44 20 7630 2400
    Main fax number: +44 20 7630 2401

http://www.ubuntu.com/about/contact-us

HAHAHAHAHAHA xD

sorry but i still at office on sunday =(

Thanked by 1singsing
  • TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited October 2015

Just get a nexus (4 still works?? maybe) and install Ubuntu touch on it like the others suggested. I personally would get an old nexus 4 for $50 then start playing with it. Once you get bored, throw it away and don't need to worry about reselling.

Or if you wanna buy one directly, I believe there's one from Meizu (spelling could be wrong). It's a Chinese branded phone, but they are selling it to US/Europe customers.

This: http://www.meizu.com/en/ubuntu/features.html

I don't know, it says only for EU on that link. I wonder why.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

singsing said: Android already replaced the iPhone

Thanks for the news. I will immediately begin shorting Apple stock.

• GNULinux said: I like the iphone, but its all locked down, unlike android where you have a lot more freedom

I used Android since it first came out (HTC Dream anyone!?!??!) and switched to iPhone last November and haven't looked back. Everything I did on Android is available for my iPhone. What are you missing? What are you being oppressed on?

Android seems to be more focused on "neat features" than "usability", which seems to be more what iPhone is geared towards. This is what I need in day to day business.

• raindog308 said: Thanks for the news. I will immediately begin shorting Apple stock.

If that works, the profits might just cover the cost of buying the latest iPhone ...

• Too bad iPhones are only 3x manufacturing price...

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited October 2015

@FlamesRunner said:
    Too bad iPhones are only 3x manufacturing price...

iPhones cost about a dollar for Apple to make. Don't believe anything they say to the contrary. They make 1000x+ profit on these things.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited October 2015

Damian said: What are you being oppressed on?

For example, it's not possible to just compile code and run it on my iPhone without paying Apple extra for the privilege. I'd have to buy an Apple Mac (more $$$ for Apple) to get Xcode, and even then my understanding is that I wouldn't be able to test apps on a real phone without paying Apple an additional $99/yr to become a "developer". I am a developer already! It's not supposed to cost anything to just be a developer!

• Developer fees:

Apple: $99/year

Android: $25/one time

• unrelated to the thread, but damn apple, so greedy.

@FlamesRunner said:
    Developer fees:

Apple: $99/year

Android: $25/one time

• @Damian said:
    Android seems to be more focused on "neat features" than "usability", which seems to be more what iPhone is geared towards. This is what I need in day to day business.

Did you jailbreak?

• @0xdragon said:

I heard it costs them 150-180 USD to Make an iPhone...their profits are damn too high

edited October 2015

It is not the fault of who is asking, as long as there will be people ready to pay the apple tax to have fashion in their products, there will be such profits and prices.
    Some people want the functionality, others like the looks and what they perceive of being the envy of others, there is a lot of bling and bragging rights associated with apple, it will always be like that, if not with apple, with samsung and whatever other company will emerge as being "top" and "in fashion".

• FlamesRunner said: Android: $25/one time

Except that's not even a "developer" fee, it's only a publishing fee. One can run code on Android just by enabling "untrusted sources" in the OS, you don't need to list your app on Google Play. AFAIK, you can't do anything similar on iPhone without "jailbreak".

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited October 2015

@singsing said:
    Except that's not even a "developer" fee, it's only a publishing fee. One can run code on Android just by enabling "untrusted sources" in the OS, you don't need to list your app on Google Play. AFAIK, you can't do anything similar on iPhone without "jailbreak".

Which, according to the Apple developer TOS, will get you barred from getting a developer account, or your existing one banned.

• People buy apple phoneys for the esteemed value of apple brand and products, which might or might not correlate with the quality of the purchased product.

People always assign a value to every thing in their lives. Religious maniacs assign high value to stupid bullshit their religion preaches and little value to people outside the religion.

Nice example of esteemed values are the crusades, burning women("witches") and jihads, just because God told them it was a good idea.

GM2015 said: God told them it was a good idea.

Not really, God never told them, just the priests.
    Any religion needs more payers, therefore preaches higher population (anti-gay, anti-abortion), eliminations of adversaries (they dont want competition, a form of extreme censorship through the extermination of "infidels, goy, pagans, etc") Without the strong army and steady income, religions cannot expand well, they need those and the "holy wars" which were invented by the jews.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited October 2015

Of course religion's human fabricated bullshit. But leaders blame God for mistakes(he's perfect so can't be "blamed") and take credit for example winning wars or stopping a famine.

There are plenty of examples of God talking to Jews in the Old Testament, telling them to go here and there, kill people and conquer their lands. That sounds like to me that God's telling it's a good idea.

A recent example of god told me it was a good idea.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/oct/07/iraq.usa

A prime example why Britain still has monarchy with Christianity on top. It's not like England is known for its peacefulness.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10771339/David-Cameron-puts-God-back-into-politics.html

This person is a nutcase too to get votes. I'm not sure if these or the conservatives are worse.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11548444/Miliband-woos-churchgoers-with-religious-freedom-pledge.html

Nice quotes from god:
    http://biblehub.com/joel/3.htm

http://biblehub.com/joel/3-8.htm
    I will sell your sons and daughters to the people of Judah, and they will sell them to the Sabeans, a nation far away." The LORD has spoken.

God loves you.
    http://biblehub.com/1_chronicles/21.htm

The LORD said to Gad, David's seer,
    "Go and tell David, 'This is what the LORD says: I am giving you three options. Choose one of them for me to carry out against you.'"
    11So Gad went to David and said to him, "This is what the LORD says: 'Take your choice:
    12three years of famine, three months of being swept away before your enemies, with their swords overtaking you, or three days of the sword of the LORD--days of plague in the land, with the angel of the LORD ravaging every part of Israel.' Now then, decide how I should answer the one who sent me."
    13David said to Gad, "I am in deep distress. Let me fall into the hands of the LORD, for his mercy is very great; but do not let me fall into human hands."
    1414So the LORD sent a plague on Israel, and seventy thousand men of Israel fell dead.

Maounique said: Not really, God never told them, just the priests.

Any religion needs more payers, therefore preaches higher population (anti-gay, anti-abortion), eliminations of adversaries (they dont want competition, a form of extreme censorship through the extermination of "infidels, goy, pagans, etc") Without the strong army and steady income, religions cannot expand well, they need those and the "holy wars" which were invented by the jews.

edited October 2015

What you quote there is not written by God, all is done by priests to get political power, this is why politics and civilian institutions such as school, hospitals, army, judiciary, parties, science, etc, must be religion free, otherwise we will continue to pay this heavy price.
    religious nuts want to go crusading? Fine, but not on my money, make a volunteer army, buy their own tanks and planes, same, I shouldn't have to pay for their churches or their priests. The fact that they pay politicians to force me to do it, that is big violation of my rights, the religious right maintains there should be less money to the poor and more to the religion and wars, the state should not interfere in their rights of shooting whoever they please, but it should interfere in other people's religions, choices, dictate where can or can't build their houses or religious congregating places, etc.
    Equality violates my privileges, therefore it is not a right.

• yeah, lets talk religion.

this will be as long as cest pit.