Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hurricane Joaquin - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hurricane Joaquin

2»

Comments

• Why did people decide to build such huge cities in areas that are so often hit by hurricanes? America is quite large, there are enough areas that never see hurricanes or tornadoes.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Hurricane Katrina pt.2

• I guess distributing one's servers across Miami, New York, Los Angeles, and Seattle is one way to defeat natural disasters. And throw in Dallas for good measure in case of a double-sided tsunami.

• SilentFarter said: I guess distributing one's servers across Miami, New York, Los Angeles, and Seattle is one way to defeat natural disasters.

Sure, but then that adds complexity to your architecture that increases the risk of other things fucking up.

You do what you can to reduce risk but you can't ever entirely eliminate it.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • OnraHost said: No such thing as disaster proof... Mother nature will win infinity amount of times before man ever wins.

There used to be floods where I live, then the gov built a huge dam. My house has its own sewers and is on a hill and as little ground as possible is sealed.

In addition to that it does not burn and is storm proof :) although it will lose the roof in either cases.

And on top of that there is insurance.

All houses around mine are like that,too.

• Hope everyone affected stays safe.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Seems like the storm is going to miss the coast.

• @lbft said:
    You do what you can to reduce risk but you can't ever entirely eliminate it.

Well not really... If you wanted to keep your website online, just point your website to multiple servers around to world to keep it "redundant" in such a natural disaster. The client's browser will look for the fastest online server to respond (in which case the server of which gets washed away by water won't).

• jbiloh said: Seems like the storm is going to miss the coast.

Flooding is the big concern right now:

http://www.weather.com/forecast/national/news/soaking-weather-pattern-east-flooding

• MarkTurner said: Disaster proofing costs money, insurance is cheaper.

>

Insurance companies don't cover "acts of God"

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@hostnoob said:
    Insurance companies don't cover "acts of God"

On business side, you can pay an extra to get it. Depending on the business and insurance company. Each type of "acts of god" is an extra.

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    On business side, you can pay an extra to get it. Depending on the business and insurance company. Each type of "acts of god" is an extra.

Ah. I hate insurance companies so much. Legalised mafias..

• hostnoob said: Insurance companies don't cover "acts of God"

It depends on your insurance, last time I saw our US insurance it was covering everything including some ridiculous amount of money for terrorism.

Also some companies self-insure and you can imagine the benefit of that in the hands of a creative accountant.

• davidgestiondbi said: On business side, you can pay an extra to get it. Depending on the business and insurance company. Each type of "acts of god" is an extra.

Insurance really only covers acts of stupidity. You left the BBQ grill on and went shopping and your house burned down? That's understandable, you're covered. Tornadoes, hurricanes? Ha ha, good luck with that!