Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows backup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows backup

Hi,

In my office workstation, if I wish to automatically backup daily "My Documents" folder automatically on a LAN file server, how do I do that easily?

Thank you

Comments

• File History is pretty simple to use with a network share (built-in).

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2015

you could create a task and write the bat script.

You could also go pro and install R1Soft CDP :-).

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

You can use a small NAS like those it is provided with automated backup software.

Or you can use an online storage like our service it is owncloud friendly.

• duplicati www.duplicati.com without encryption for example

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

+1 for owncloud too.

• In addition to Duplicati and a remote target, I recently set up the Windows built-in backup solution to backup daily to a Samba share on the local network, works pretty great!

• thank you for the suggestions. @Silvenga and @Bochi the build in file history and backup exist for normal windows 8? I mean no need Windows server ?

I think simple xcopy or robocopy is ok. Duplicati looks great too

• @jcaleb said:
    thank you for the suggestions. Silvenga and Bochi the build in file history and backup exist for normal windows 8? I mean no need Windows server ?

I think simple xcopy or robocopy is ok. Duplicati looks great too

It was introduced in Windows 8 and it does not require a Windows server.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • @jcaleb said:
    thank you for the suggestions. Silvenga and Bochi the build in file history and backup exist for normal windows 8? I mean no need Windows server ?

Yes, I think "Backup and restore" was introduces back in Windows 7 - even Windows 10 features it. Search the control panel for "Backup and restore (Windows 7)" if you are on a newer Windows version than 7.

A comment to Duplicati: Had to do a full restore some time ago and faced that problem that if you try to restore the latest backup it only restores the files that got added/changed in this version...
    Incrementally restoring all the backups was pretty time consuming.
    There is already an issue on GitHub regarding this shortcoming, maybe it gets "fixed" soon.
    Other than that: Great piece of software - on Linux too.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • http://allwaysync.com/ used to work quite well

Thanked by 1jcaleb