Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your anti-spam strategy?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your anti-spam strategy?

Besides from the usual SpamAssassin and ClamAV, what other anti-spam measures do you take both for incoming and outgoing mail?

Comments

• apt-get remove postfix

• Blocking specific IP ranges?

• im using spamexperts. works good.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Short of alternatives that exist to do the same as what you mentioned, like third party services, not sure what else there really is to have as a strategy. RBLs, I suppose.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • UrDNUrDN Member
    edited September 2015

Dspam is the most powerful free software which we setup for customers. Shady centralized blacklists like "dnsbl" should be avoided, especially the spamhaus ones.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • http://efa-project.org is an excellent applinace

Thanked by 1jar
  • haraka or rspamdm and of course dnsbl, with a great trust to spamhaus.

• MxToolBox ?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

Just for the record, I wanted to reply to this thread, and Cloudflare doesn't let me. @mpkossen

Maybe the OP can figure out some bits of what I wanted to post, in that mess.

Thanked by 2inthecloudblog J1021
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited September 2015

@Traffic said:
    apt-get remove postfix

stupid reply (not being serious): this is a great idea to weed out all those pesky invoices for dedicated servers and hosting accounts

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • doghouch said: stupid reply (not being serious): this is a great idea to weed out all those pesky invoices for dedicated servers and hosting accounts

Technically you're right.

I insist: technically.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited September 2015

Spamassassin has many plugins

I used setup as this on my cpanel servers and it blocks over 90% of the spam
    http://technotes.trostfamily.org/?p=184 (it has non cpanel exim version too but the post is older)

Connection Management:

Step 1 – Network Denial of Service Protection (Upling takes care of that)

Step 2 – Exim Rate Control +

Step 3 – IP Reputation Analysis + (I added my Mail server ips to barracuda to use their RBL, also there was an issue in the past when querying spamhaus trough free name servers so as i use csf i just enable spamhaus as a lfd block list)

Step 4 – Recipient Verification +

Step 5 – Sender Verification + ( the light option Sender Verification no callouts)

Content Scanning:

Step 6 – Content (Virus and Spam) Scanning +

Step 7 – Custom Policy +

Step 8 – Fingerprint Analysis + (I'm not paranoid enough to run all 4 plugins but run 2 cPanel now has enabled pyzor by default but I like DCC so I addit :) remember to open ports in firewall if required

Step 8 – Intent Analysis + (enabled by default in cPanel spam assassin ...)

Step 9 – Image Analysis - (plugins are too old so i skip that)

Step 10 – Bayesian Analysis - skipped (never seems them to work as expected)

Step 11 – Rule-Based Scoring - default no auto delete over the score bur forced spam assassin

that filters 95+ 98% of spam think it is close to better than spamexperts

For outgouing ratelimits with allerts to investigate (im not too email friendly provider)

• rm_ said: Just for the record, I wanted to reply to this thread, and Cloudflare doesn't let me. @mpkossen

Probably too much symbols in your reply. Filter is sometimes a bit strict about that.

• I don't use any anti-spam additions to my email server. I simply use disposable email addresses, and I invalidate them if they ever get into the hands of spammers. I don't do anything for outgoing email, either, because I'd have bigger problems if my server were compromised by spammers.

• Gmail lol

• Greylisting. It's only useful for incoming mail.

Large portions of spam are sent by malware-infected computers. Their SMTP engines are often incomplete, lacking retry capabilities, so failed spam won't get retried again. Greylisting uses this to separate real mail servers from spam-sending zombie PCs. Greylisting is resource friendly, and usually reduces the workload put on more heavy backend processing like SpamAssassin.