Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ISPs in your area and how good/crap they are - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ISPs in your area and how good/crap they are

2»

Comments

• @MannDude said: Born / raised in southern Indiana. Any further south and you're in Kentucky.

I have family in Switzerland County. Small world.

• I was on the VirginMedia 50MBPS plan, with the doubled speeds to 100MBPS - and got exactly that with 10-20MBPS up, which was all good.

But from a price point perspective, and the fact that we all prefer Sky TV, it made a lot more sense to move.

Not the most amazing speeds, but better than nothing:

• TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
    edited September 2012

;)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Moved to Germany eh?

• Southern IL.

My choices are basically Frontier or Mediacom. Mediacom used to be crap, so we used Frontier for 5 years, then finally got fed up enough with their shitty 6Mbps speeds and constant downtime and switched to Mediacom, who advertised 20/2, but delivers 25-28Mbps on downloads with speedboost active, and 20-22mbps on downloads once it's been disabled. Uploads pretty much constantly show up as 2.4-2.6Mbps.

Here's the DSL I used to have:

Here's the cable I have now:

• Grats, anyone can post a speedtest from a datacenter. You're now the coolest person on LET.

Thanked by 2Infinity Inglar
  • nabonabo Member
    edited September 2012

For the smallest ADSL-package available from them I'm very satisfied. Phone- and Net-Flat for 30 €. Their support is A+. I don't need a fast upload. My backups are done during the night automatically.

• @Kairus said: Grats, anyone can post a speedtest from a datacenter. You're now the coolest person on LET.

The sarcasm is very strong in this statement :x

Thanked by 1klikli
  • I'll cry.

I pay about 28 USD/month for 3712 / 480 kbps...

• I'm in Nebraska on Time Warner Cable/Road Runner which is the fastest in my area. On average I get about 20Mbps down and 1Mbps up which isn't bad, but I'd really like faster upload speeds.

Another popular ISP in my area is Windstream which is DSL and is extremely slow at about 3Mbps down and 1Mbps up.

There are also dozens of other smaller ISPs that just resell Time Warner Cable or Windstream. They aren't all that great.

What I really want is Google Fiber. 1Gbps of bandwidth for upload and download would be amazing.

• makazemakaze Member
    edited September 2012

Comcast has been good for me :D

• Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
    edited September 2012

I figured I'd better post a speedtest. :)

!(http://www.speedtest.net/result/2201875532.png)

Adelaide internet, less then 2 Kilometres from the exchange, apparently it's not bad enough when it drops to this:
    To warrant them sending out a tech to check my line, guess that's what you get for a single company owning almost all of the copper lines in the country. Can't wait to get fiber next year.

• @makaze said: Comcast has been good for me :D

I wish they had the 50mbps packages here, that's not a business line right?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2012

@liam said: I'm waiting for @william to blow us all out of the water. cough

Nah, i'm not into posting speedtests
    (cough Gbit cough)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2012
  • MelitaMelita Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

My current ISP (I pay 35 dollar every month for this. In marketing it says 384kbps):

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

On KPN fiber right now (Dutch ISP). Been having issues with daily ping-outs from IRC ever since, and about 2 days it got worse - consistent 15% packet loss.

Right now my average packet loss according to mtr is 40-50% and it can sometimes take 10 minutes to load a page. I'd post a picture, but I can't, because they never finish uploading.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Melita said: My current ISP (I pay 35 dollar every month for this. In marketing it says 384kbps):

I am really sorry... I know how it feels :(
    M

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited September 2012

Mine's not too bad I guess.. ;)

Only pay $49.99/m.

• makazemakaze Member
    edited September 2012

@Kairus said: I wish they had the 50mbps packages here, that's not a business line right?

It's their blast tier, it used to be 25 meg, then they doubled it in my area. It's the residential plan here.

• edited September 2012

ISP is OTEnet (Greece's national telecommunications provider)
    ADSL2 - €31.80/m

• ksx4systemksx4system Member
    edited September 2012

Vectra, one of largest ISPs here in Poland. Consumer grade DOCSIS line, 24mbit/s down and 4mbit/s up on the contract. Their connectivity sucks sometimes (not possible to get more than 5mbit/s from USA located server).

It costs around 100pln (30usd) monthly (including VAT tax, static IP and upload boost).

@joepie91 said: Right now my average packet loss according to mtr is 40-50% and it can sometimes take 10 minutes to load a page.

Why don't you change your ISP then? o_O

• @ksx4system said: It costs around 100pln (30usd) monthly (including VAT tax, static IP and upload boost).

Whats with TPSA?
    I always use TPSA line Hotspots when i'm in Poland, sometimes i find 50 open wifis at one place in a city... all usable...