Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS USE POLL
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS USE POLL

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited September 2015 in General

Hi Folks,

It might not be as obvious to some people here that have not been around as long but I am seeing a very obvious trend in people wanting lower and lower and lower prices, dedicated IPv4, good service, SLA under $7 p/year now never mind per month.

So this got me wondering a bit about the current state and use, how many people here actually use their server for business reasons, by business I don't mean a cool site with some adsense, I mean real business e.g. if your server goes down it has a genuine potential monetary impact on you and others, and how many people are just using them for personal projects.

Just curious.

business or pleasure
  1. .162 votes
    1. I use all MY LEB's for business
        8.02%
    2. I use some for business
      28.40%
    3. I use them for business but dev only, not production
        8.64%
    4. I use them for learning, personal projects
      49.38%
    5. Its just a hobby, I don't use them for anything apart from monitoring uptime
        5.56%

Comments

• Also depends on provider, good provider LEB I use for business use, but some new providers are good for playing around with.

• linuxthefish said: Also depends on provider, good provider LEB I use for business use, but some new providers are good for playing around with.

Same. I monitor the health of the VPS for at least 3 months before I consider it for production use.

• Missing the option "I wouldn't touch a LEB with a barge poll".

Thanked by 1scy
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I see no option for me, I use all for hobbies as personal projects, what I need for business is self-hosted, by colo, at home or uncle gives me the tools if it is related to prometeus.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

kcaj said: Missing the option "I wouldn't touch a LEB with a barge poll".

Excellent contribution thanks.

Maounique said: I see no option for me, I use all for hobbies as personal projects, what I need for business is self-hosted, by colo, at home or uncle gives me the tools if it is related to prometeus.

Yep so for the most part not LEB's then, I suppose this poll does not really count for hosts or hosting staff.

• Depends on the definition of "LEB" I guess.

• Some small projects. If they grow much and the LEB becomes small I seek more resources. ;-)

angrysnarl said: Depends on the definition of "LEB" I guess.

One that you got here for under $7 p/month.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    One that you got here for under $7 p/month.

Under $7/mo? Definitely not for anything serious. People who host their "$x,xxx businesses" on $7/mo servers are crazy.

• True LEB's, I don't even think I own any anymore.

I have a couple of $xx/year boxes I use for testing and dev.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

All my servers/vps are for business except for the following:

• dedi at hetzner for plex
    • ordered megavz bundle some months ago, never really did anything with it

The rest would all have somewhat of an impact, of course nixstats is still in beta and no one is being charged it would still have an impact in terms of trust. I'm trying to keep the costs of nixstats down by using runabove, as soon as it goes out of beta I'll switch to something more reliable (even tho it's not that bad at runabove...).

• I use select providers on here for personal projects only. For true business needs, my own equipment in Telehouse North.

I would not consider an LE* for anything serious, too risky IMO.

Thanked by 1angrysnarl
  • If i have a business then i can afford dedicated and maybe sla's.

i am glad there is LEB's so one can test different networks but mainly Anthony's taking care of his customers.

• It depends on what business. For VPN business, what's important are bandwidth and locations. I guess most VPN servers are LEB. For traditional applications, especially those with a database, I think 4G RAM is minimum, which can hardly be under $7 a month.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited September 2015

If someone was offering managed services with a full service SLA for LE* prices, sure; otherwise no way, Jose.

• wychwych Member
    edited September 2015

Nekki said: offering managed services

Such as?

• @wych said:
    Such as?

Server managed to the OS level, all internal networking, management of security and hardening of the OS including proactive patching.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited September 2015

@Nekki said:
    Server managed to the OS level, all internal networking, management of security and hardening of the OS including proactive patching.

At LET prices? Arminds offers fully managed VPSs I think. But not sure about SLA.

• Stuff that generates serious money for me is all redundant in multiple DC's, on owned hardware or at companies which provide SLA's and stick to them. Less than 99.offered % uptime? Free month. Plus, because it is all redundant, failure has not happened yet.

My LEB's are all for fun projects like https://raymii.org, https://ssldecoder.org or personal stuff like Ownloud or Tiny Tiny RSS.

BTW, Inception Hosting is an excellent and awesome host for LEB's. Anthony has a good track record, I think I'd trust them with running production on there.

• Traffic said: At LET prices? Arminds offers fully managed VPSs I think. But not sure about SLA.

I wouldn't trust anyone who offered it at LE* prices anyway.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I don't think I use anything sub-$7 for business, except if my VPN can be included there.

• I have a Hostmybytes pool package and a small Ramnode that I use for testing ideas and such.

I use my $30/mo Dacentec for backups for my actual live stuff I'm using an Online.net 1115 or whatever it is. (20 euros/mo) I have a small VPS Classic for an irc bouncer but that really is it in terms of low end-ish stuff...

I'm currently also playing with the QuickPacket $35/mo deal.

Next thing I use for production would be my ReliableSite E3-1245v2 32gb etc for my webhosting and such.

I couldn't use a LEB for production is the short answer. Dedicated servers are kind a different matter as you don't have those noisy neighbours that effect your service as much as on a VPS.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited September 2015

While there might be reputable providers that cab somehow manage to keep their prices low.. I have always been hesitant to buy any vps that costs less than 12 per year. At the same time, I do like the yearly deals as opposed to the monthly deals because I always think that monthly transactions mean I might be paying more transactional fees in the long run. I am not saying this is fact but merely my thoughts at this point in time.

Price for me not equate to quality for me but that is because I have been burned too many times to not have backups from cheap to relatively more expensive providers.

• I'm living on free VPS like Cloudrino, Layer and VPSBiT. In fact these are my only own LEBs. I use them for dev, learning and personal stuff.

All other VPS I have access to are for production/business and I maintain them for people since years. Including two dedicated servers.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:
    Yep so for the most part not LEB's then, I suppose this poll does not really count for hosts or hosting staff.

I do not mean the hosting stuff as business, I mean hosting my business stuff, which is not necesarily public facing, just various projects I need access to from everywhere.

• Actually I use no leb for business but some for backup purposes of business and as secondary live backups if something with the main servers goes wrong.
    I can still understand the need for a good uptime as it usually means that the provider is working to provide a good service and not just looking at each node once in a year or so.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Depends on the nature of the business, if it's something that needs a specific location and you want to test how the ping is etc - sure. I would only use reputable providers with some sort of uptime agreement however or have had tons of uptime with. Prometeus, RN and Inception come to name a few.

• For VPN business. only important is the VPS have a much bandwidth and also have a good speed at all.

• private vpn/tunnel/proxy, file storage, playing some stuff and etc.....

almost forget, t0r relay :D