Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stay away from Virtora and VPSDime - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stay away from Virtora and VPSDime

2»

Comments

• @Junkless said:
    Wait what?

Well, in some cultures there's truth in that as well. :P

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@serverian said:
    I'm sorry for the miscommunication and misinformation here.

We were going to move Atlanta accounts to New Jersey and we have only sent email to people who had VPS in Atlanta (including you) and then we had to postpone the move a bit and informed the customers with another email.

The mistake here was about WHMCS data not being up to date with SolusVM. Your VPS was showing in Dallas, that's why Sadiq told you that you were not being affected by the move by mistake. I'm sorry for this. Humans make mistakes.

Your VPS's migration took very long because you had millions of unread emails (tiny files).

In the end, you have asked for refund of your last payment and we have promptly refunded you.

I've read your tickets and didn't see any rudeness, just bluntness. I'm sorry if Damian's writing style read as rude.

And that... Is how you handle that :)

• DamianDamian Member
    edited September 2015

I apologize that my public writing style tends to be terse. A large percentage of our user base does not communicate in English as their native language, and therefore I drop colloquialisms and other regional vernacular that may not fully translate back to another language with the proper meaning.

There were some additional items what were not conveyed:

-You would indeed be correct that this was scheduled for Saturday, September 5th. At that time, a license issue was encountered, which prevented this from being worked. As I was uncertain how much time would be necessary to rectify this situation, a new email was sent out on Saturday, September 5th, stating that this was rescheduled to Sunday, September 20th. I do not know why, but not everyone received this update email. I apologize for that. Which brings me to the next issue....

-....your VM was not moved on September 20th but September 22nd instead. For reasons that are not apparently, our connectivity between Virtora's Atlanta servers with Wiresix and VPSDime's NJ servers with Choopa was terrible. I wasn't able to get more than 2-5 mbyte/sec with rsync between these systems at any time of day. I did not contact either datacenter because, for amongst other reasons, these are our last services with Wiresix, and most of the VMs were only a couple of gigabytes in size. September 22nd just happened to be the day that your VM came up for migration.

-Your VM was the largest VM moved by far, and rsync does not efficiently move millions of tiny files.

I apologize that we did not keep you informed better. You've been a customer with us for years and it looks like you've enjoyed the service otherwise; I'd hate for something like this to botch your opinion of our service. I'd like to offer you a few months of free service at VPSDime to compensate you for the situation and also for your effort on restoring your data. If you'd like to take us up on this, do open a ticket with us in the VPSDime ticket system and we'll get you going. Otherwise, we did appreciate your ongoing business.

Thanked by 2Maounique badpatrick
  • A large percentage of our user base does not communicate in English as their native language, and therefore I drop colloquialisms and other regional vernacular that may not fully translate back to another language with the proper meaning

You know, english isn't my first language, but it's enough to understand notifications(it they are), rude tone, etc

therefore I drop colloquialisms and other regional vernacular that may not fully translate back to another language

I check you in the message above you use I apologize **3 times, but i don't find any **apologize / Sorry for inconvinence or somthing like this during our converstation that day.!!!

Hope i don't need to repeat once again, that it was your's fault ... 1/ that i got misinformation(not affected), 2. that you start migration at 22sept (not 5th). 3. that you suspend my acc, but i was not informed about that 4. that it takes 12 hours.

I'm not server guy, but i guess that it's not so hard to transfer 75 vps accounts (with max 50gb files in it ) w/o any downtime.)

Anyway ... I accept your apologize, but it's too late. I hope you know that
    proverb:** A fox is not taken twice in the same snare**. It was good lesson for me.

I'd like to offer you a few months of free service at VPSDime to compensate you for the situation and also for your effort on restoring your data.

ha-ha-ha :-) thank you, may be in another life :-)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Alexo said: I'm not server guy, but i guess that it's not so hard to transfer 75 vps accounts (with max 50gb files in it ) w/o any downtime.)

In most cases is impossible, unless some kind of failover scheme, impossible across datacenters due to latency. It may be made to look like it, i.e. suspend during transfer, but there are some caveats with it and is not really without downtime.

• Maounique said: In most cases is impossible, unless some kind of failover scheme, impossible across datacenters due to latency. It may be made to look like it, i.e. suspend during transfer, but there are some caveats with it and is not really without downtime.

But you can at least start the transfer while the VPS's are still up.. right?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

4n0nx said: But you can at least start the transfer while the VPS's are still up.. right?

You have way less problems if you don't

Thanked by 14n0nx

@4n0nx said:
    But you can at least start the transfer while the VPS's are still up.. right?

Good way to kill some active InnoDB ;)

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Jar said: Good way to kill some active InnoDB ;)

Awmusic12635 said: You have way less problems if you don't

Care to elaborate?

edited September 2015

@4n0nx said:
    Care to elaborate?

For example, live copying /var/lib/mysql with InnoDB tables by raw file copy if the data is being actively written will almost certainly result in unrecoverable corruption.

• Jar said: For example, live copying /var/lib/mysql with InnoDB tables by raw file copy if the data is being actively written will almost certainly result in unrecoverable corruption.

Oh I meant more like

1. start rsync
    2. turn off vps once finished
    3. rsync again for changes (with --delete for deleting deleted files)
    4. boot up new vps

That should work and with almost no downtime, right?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

4n0nx said: That should work and with almost no downtime, right?

In theory the online vzmigrate should. Though in my experiences of doing it, it doesn't always work as planned. It's a bit buggy compared to a standard offline migration. When dealing with client data I would prefer to take the safer route.

Though if your IP is changing anyways, does it really matter? There will be downtime.

Thanked by 14n0nx

4n0nx said: That should work and with almost no downtime, right?

Should. Not sure if ploop plays a role since that's kind of standard for vz now.

Thanked by 14n0nx