Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RAID Card bottlenecking SSDs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RAID Card bottlenecking SSDs?

SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
edited September 2012 in Help

I've read in many places that most RAID Cards are bottlenecks when used in a RAID10 SSD array (what I'll be using them for). While I'm not sure what RAID cards Incero uses, do most 4 port cards bottleneck these arrays?

Would I be better off using mdadm?

Comments

• It would depend on the RAID controller I guess.

• One of the newer-generation RAID cards shouldn't be the bottleneck, such as an LSI 9266: http://www.lsi.com/channel/products/storagecomponents/Pages/MegaRAIDSAS9266-8i.aspx

I would say that using mdadm wouldn't cause you a bottleneck, it would just grind the rest of the system to a halt to process i/o.

• PCI-E 2.0 x8 tops at 1.5-2G depending on what RAID card you use. This is effectively 4x RAID0 SSD or 8x RAID10 SSD. LSI 9265/9266 high recommended to hit 2GB/sec. If you can afford it, the newer PCI-E 3.0 x8 cards are floating around, these are suppose to be able to achieve higher speeds but the drivers will be a pain since it's not integrated in current kernels yet, 9265/9266 and below are suppose to be already in stock RHEL kernels.

Mirroring should be done on the RAID card because it'll only use the SATA/SAS interface bandwidth and not PCI-E. OS sends 1 copy to RAID card via PCI-E bus, RAID card sends 2 copies to 2 SSDs. This is a good reason not to do RAID1/RAID10 on mdadm.

mdadm isn't a bottleneck, works perfectly fine for RAID0. Based on my tests mdadm outperforms a LSI 9240 slightly, effectively a cache-less raid card.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@SimpleNode said: do most 4 port cards bottleneck these arrays?

No

• @Nick_A o_o Well, thats substantually different to what others and my limited google serching have been telling me.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Maybe most do but get the right one and don't look back!