Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP tunneling via VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP tunneling via VPN

WilliamWilliam Member
edited September 2012 in General

Any VPN experts? :)

Problem is:

I have a VPS, VPS A, OpenVZ on my own node - So i can enable all modules if needed.
And i have a VPS B, KVM.

Each of these has 1 IP of course.
Now i want to tunnel an IP from VPS B to VPS A - So i can assign an IP on VPS A to my service (can be internal IP, no issue) and it uses outgoing/incoming the IP available on VBS B.
The IP does not need to be usable on VPS B and is an additional IP, unrelated to the servers IP.

So in short:
I want to use an IP from VPS B on VPS A via a tunnel/VPN.

Encryption for the tunnel is not needed, portforwarding for all ports (prefferably directly something on L2) is needed.

Anyone?

Comments

• @William said: outgoing/incoming the IP available on VBS B.

I'll start helping you with "VBS B" :) Good luck solving your issue :)

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2012

I can help you, but now now. Now i'm out :)

edit: hit me on ICQ if you don't figure it out.

• Openvpn. Tap bridge at vps B. Tap interface with bound ip on vps A. Cipher none.

This should work. I'm familiar with the bridge end but I haven't tried on openvz.

• I've actually set this up very recently for my home network. :)

I have a KVM VPS with a second IP, and that second IP is attached to a TAP interface on my home router. Besides a standard VPN setup (I'm using tinc, though this should work with OpenVPN or vtun or others as well) and static routes, the key to this setup was enabling ARP proxying (proxy_arp) on the KVM VPS.

• Is it stable as well? Stability is key here.
    Transfer speed is not needed, a few Kbyte are fine.

• I haven't been using this setup for very long, but so far I've had no stability issues with the VPN setup itself, only with the underlying long hop wifi....

If you control the network on the KVM VPS, using a bridge device like @Kenshin mentioned would be the better method. However, if the network is outside of your control and IPs are locked down to MAC addresses, then your options would be proxy_arp or one-to-one NAT.

The main advantage to the one-to-one NAT method would be the ability to use TUN instead of TAP, which incurs less overhead. The disadvantages to this method would be having a private IP on VPS A, and not being able to see the latency between VPS B and VPS A in traceroutes / pings; the traceroute will end at VPS B.

• KeithKeith Member
    edited September 2012

Can be done with tinc as well as openvpn.
    I've currently have this working with tinc with 2 desktops, OpenVZ vps & Xen vps
    2 ip's on a vps are available on the other, one ipv4 & one ipv6. One of the vps's is an ipv4 only Ipxcore 32 MB vps.