Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Storage Server - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Storage Server

2»

Comments

• @KosherHam said:
    Like I said, OpenVZ and R1Soft do not work. So there's really no point offering OVZ VPS.

Though the hosts may be protected by RAID of some variety, and even if not at the price of some of the VPS offers like time4 you could (assuming your use is compatible with this idea of course, such as backups or static hosting via HTTP(S)) get better protection than R1 by using two or more completely separate hosts.

• Of course you could wait for one of he better offers on dacentec or similar to come back, they no doubt will.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

1TBVPS.com is an IOFlood brand, I'd recommend you check them out

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@EVM_Mike said:
    1TBVPS.com is an IOFlood brand, I'd recommend you check them out

Unfortunately they're OpenVZ.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@Infinity can get you something nice and fast in London

• KosherHamKosherHam Member
    edited September 2015

MarkTurner said: Dedicated Server BL260c Dual E5420, 8GB RAM, 500GB disk, 5TB transfer - $20/month (paid month-to-month)

I'd jump on it if it had a second 500GB drive. I'd be happy to do it.

I've not switched to anyone as-of-yet.

hawc said: @Infinity can get you something nice and fast in London

@Infinity might want to somehow have a web address.

MeAtExampleDotCom said: Of course you could wait for one of he better offers on dacentec or similar to come back, they no doubt will.

No doubt. I may wait. Who knows.

• @KosherHam said:
    I'd jump on it if it had a second 500GB drive.

I think if you pay yearly you can double the ram, disk or bandwidth.

• @Frecyboy said:
    Speed.myloc.de

camjac251

Wow, that's faster than hetzner

• KosherHam said: I'd jump on it if it had a second 500GB drive. I'd be happy to do it.

Add another $10 and you have your second disk.

• MarkTurner said: Add another $10 and you have your second disk.

and $10 less

Thanked by 1rm_
  • postcdpostcd Member
    edited September 2015

@Falzo said:
    thanks! definetly a dealbreaker, 500GB KVM for 3,50€ p.m. (paid yearly for sure) - unbeatable.

check http://www.time4vps.eu/ "High Volume Storage Servers". cost even less, one of the most budgest disk space out there

• 4n0nx said: and $10 less

Then you don't get any disk at all :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

postcd said: check http://www.time4vps.eu/ "High Volume Storage Servers". cost even less, one of the most budgest disk space out there

OpenVZ

Thanked by 2someSguy Falzo
  • @MarkTurner said:
    Add another $10 and you have your second disk.

Is there an option for a one-time payment disk addon? (like the slot hosting)

• mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited September 2015

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Is there an option for a one-time payment disk addon? (like the slot hosting)

I think if you pay yearly at $200 ($16.67/mo) you can double the drives - but need @MarkTurner or Steve at Delimiter to confirm that.

But it's a +1 for me on Delimiter. Got a second box (colo) in Atlanta now, everything's been awesome.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @mikeyur said:
    I think if you pay yearly at $200 ($16.67/mo) you can double the drives - but need MarkTurner or Steve at Delimiter to confirm that.

Yea they had that promo before. The promo was that you could choose either double the drive or ram or transfer. So if I can pay the drive at one time fee, I can apply the promo for the ram or the transfer.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    Yea they had that promo before. The promo was that you could choose either double the drive or ram or transfer. So if I can pay the drive at one time fee, I can apply the promo for the ram or the transfer.

Hmm. Maybe watch for the deals on the X5150's and see if they're still doing one-time upgrades to E/L5420. Those are hardware raid too and come with 16 or 32GB right out of the gate.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • TheOnlyDK said: Is there an option for a one-time payment disk addon? (like the slot hosting)

The problem of one-time fees is that when the disk breaks, you are paying for the replacement. The monthly cost factors in the replacement cost. There are ways to do this, PM and I'll explain.

Slot hosting is different because you retain ownership of the disk, its treated as colo. If the disk breaks then its down to you to replace it. The service just provides space and SATA port.

• Hey hey hey,
    I heard that dacentec has got some cheap servers, be fast this time to grab one :)

• edited September 2015

One of the $20 dacentec servers popped back up and I've grabbed it for much the same reason (storage server for backups, with VMs for semi-automatically testing said backups (replicating the VMs that are being backed up) and other limited services).

I added an extra 2Tb drive for another $10 too, which might delay setup. You could put another couple in there for $10/mo too, which if you need a really chunky storage server you could really beef it up.

If the machine all checks out OK and the bandwidth to/from appropriate places is good enough, it'll replace a Kimsufi i3 box, an Atom, and maybe a VPS too.

The CPU is older and slower then the i3 found in the Kimsufi machine according to this automated analysis but that shouldn't be an issue at all for my uses and having 4x the space for the same price at current exchange rates it is ideal (6x the space with the extra drive, which will be paid for by turning off another machine). With 6Tb storage the base 10Tb bandwidth doesn't look large, but again it should be more than fine for my proposed uses (the unmetered option is $20/mo extra).

If you want me to run some benchmarks once it is setup let me know. Adding the extra drive might mean the setup will be delayed slightly. If you ask in the next couple of weeks I'll be able to run the same benchmarks on the Kimsufi i3 too.

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said:
    One of the $20 dacentec servers popped back up and I've grabbed it for much the same reason (storage server for backups, with VMs for semi-automatically testing said backups (replicating the VMs that are being backed up) and other limited services).

I added an extra 2Tb drive for another $10 too, which might delay setup. You could put another couple in there for $10/mo too, which if you need a really chunky storage server you could really beef it up.

If the machine all checks out OK and the bandwidth to/from appropriate places is good enough, it'll replace a Kimsufi i3 box, an Atom, and maybe a VPS too.

The CPU is older and slower then the i3 found in the Kimsufi machine according to this automated analysis but that shouldn't be an issue at all for my uses and having 4x the space for the same price at current exchange rates it is ideal (6x the space with the extra drive, which will be paid for by turning off another machine). With 6Tb storage the base 10Tb bandwidth doesn't look large, but again it should be more than fine for my proposed uses (the unmetered option is $20/mo extra).

If you want me to run some benchmarks once it is setup let me know. Adding the extra drive might mean the setup will be delayed slightly. If you ask in the next couple of weeks I'll be able to run the same benchmarks on the Kimsufi i3 too.

I can bet that you'll get the server today. Their staff are really super fast & helpful.