Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expansion: Needs Opinions - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Expansion: Needs Opinions

2»

Comments

• TazTaz Member
    edited September 2012

Might sound a bit rude but,
    You have server(s) with 8GB ram, selling 6-7$/1Gb => Something somewhere doesn't add up. Selling 7 vps would make you sold out at any given day, But than again, it is not suppose to make any money unless i am missing something terrible somewhere.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: Might sound a bit rude but,

You have server(s) with 8GB ram, selling 6-7$/1Gb => Something somewhere doesn't add up. Selling 7 vps would make you sold out at any given day, But than again, it is not suppose to make any money unless i am missing something terrible somewhere.

Overcommitment is a common practise this days, however this does sound like gross overselling of resources.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Overcommitment is a common practise this days

I agree and don't agree with huge overcommitment. A bit, yes. A huge amount, no.

@Alex_LiquidHost said: however this does sound like gross overselling of resources.

Certainly isn't. I'm not putting "that" many more VPS's on this node.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Overcommitment is a common practise this days, however this does sound like gross overselling of resources.

While We do not over commit on resources such as ram and space, I have seen this and if managed properly, it can be a great procedure, how ever, in order to pay your bill and (assuming he in no way colocating but only leasing) server cost, those e3 are pretty expensive (70-200$/mo with minimal config), he has to over commit twice of what he is selling, bound to see disaster.

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: (70-200$/mo with minimal config)

Assuming you meant 170-200?

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: he has to over commit twice of what he is selling, bound to see disaster.

No, I'm not overcommitting that much. No way am I doubling what I have.

• @dominicl said: Certainly isn't. I'm not putting "that" many more VPS's on this node.

While, it is not my business asking people how they make money or anything, but how bad is it really? This LET, many people won't even read this forum and not associating things with your domain, please be honest.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: While We do not over commit on resources such as ram and space, I have seen this and if managed properly, it can be a great procedure, how ever, in order to pay your bill and (assuming he in no way colocating but only leasing) server cost, those e3 are pretty expensive (70-200$/mo with minimal config), he has to over commit twice of what he is selling, bound to see disaster.

Overcommitment is a common practise and pretty much all of the providers do it at some point. I belive if it is done the right way, it will increase the profit withotu affecting the level of services. There was a great webinar a couple of months ago, dicussing this.. If I find a link I will link you.

• @dominicl said: Assuming you meant 170-200?

no 70$-200$.
    You can get a single 500Gb sata3 + 8gb ram + e3 1230 v1 for <100/mo.

edited September 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: While, it is not my business asking people how they make money or anything, but how bad is it really? This LET, many people won't even read this forum and not associating things with your domain, please be honest.

A bit confused with your question?? Are you asking how many more VPS's I'll be putting on..or what?

@Alex_LiquidHost said: I belive if it is done the right way, it will increase the profit withotu affecting the level of services.

Agreed. I am not going to overcommit to the point where it affects performance. It has to be done right. If it's done wrong...then people will notice.

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: no 70$-200$.

You can get a single 500Gb sata3 + 8gb ram + e3 1230 v1 for <100/mo.

Ah right, didn't realise that.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Overcommitment is a common practise and pretty much all of the providers do it at some point. I belive if it is done the right way, it will increase the profit withotu affecting the level of services. There was a great webinar a couple of months ago, dicussing this.. If I find a link I will link you.

WHIR, yes i have seen that. How ever, selling 9-10Gb on 8gb may be ok (assuming a lot people won't use it, you have automated abuse handling and such), selling twice of what available is just playing with your luck.

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: selling twice of what available is just playing with your luck.

Yeah. I'm not going to over-commit that much. No way!

• We shall see soon.

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: We shall see soon.

Certainly shall.

@Zen said: I don't think its a claim, its a fact.

Yeah...I said "Certainly will"

• We oversell RAM by about double the real amount, 12/16GB, BW we have a big commit in UK, KC meaning it is guarenteed.

Thanked by 1PacketVM
  • @Jacob THAT'S WHY YOUR SERVER is ALWAYS DOWN, MORE DOWNTIME THAN UP.

• @LAKid said: @Jacob THAT'S WHY YOUR SERVER is ALWAYS DOWN, MORE DOWNTIME THAN UP.

Nope, it's actually the DCs fault.

• that too.

• @LAKid Not really, Actual RAM Usage never goes above 7GB on ovz nodes.

• @Jacob said: Not really, Actual RAM Usage never goes above 7GB on ovz nodes.

Lucky you :(

• @Jacob said: @LAKid Not really, Actual RAM Usage never goes above 7GB on ovz nodes.

But CPU usage won't have an issue with so many users?

• @LAKid are you actually from LA?

• @eastonch No, actually from Los Coyotes