Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW: Tutorial of the Month
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NEW: Tutorial of the Month

I'm happy to announce a new monthly event at LowEndTalk: the Tutorial of the Month!

We've got a special Tutorials section where people can post tutorials for other to benefit. Each month we're going to select one tutorial that was posted during the previous month and reward that with a prize.

For September the prize will be 1 year of an HudsonValleyHost 1GB OpenVZ VPS. I will select the winner during the first week of October.

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

mpkossen said: For September the prizepunishment will be 1 year of an HudsonValleyHost 1GB OpenVZ VPS

Sorry I had to.

Hopefully we'll see more useful tutorials.

• Sounds good.

• Good idea; Would be nice seeing some fresh insights into what people do on there VM's.

Thanked by 1noaman
  • @perennate said:
    Hopefully we'll see more useful tutorials.

SoTrue

Thanked by 2lifehome noaman
  • I'm looking forward to the guy who writes an openvpn tutorial that basically uses @nyr's script.

• It's a great idea, we need to ensure quality and originality is awarded. HVH is the best of CC brands in my view and a free 1GB VPS is not a bad prize at all.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • Good idea. Tutorial section is my fav on this site.

• People should also feel free to suggest a tutorial for someone to write. That would be good too.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Someone write up a tutorial on low end high availability. Here's what I'm thinking:

• MySQL replication
    • GlusterFS
    • CloudFlare enabled
    • Monitoring server with cron job to run script that will switch the A record at CloudFlare via API if one server goes down (no propagation because CloudFlare IP is in front)

Go!

Thanked by 2Ndha TheKiller
  • Jar said: CloudFlare enabled

And then CloudFlare DNS goes down and they don't support secondary DNS.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

tr1cky said: And then CloudFlare DNS goes down and they don't support secondary DNS.

I've never personally witnessed a CloudFlare DNS outage. I've seen Gmail outages, but not CloudFlare DNS. Not to say that they haven't happened, but that it's obviously not at a scale that I wouldn't consider it a good piece for low end high availability :)

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • I would really like to see a tutorial for setting up NAT with OVZ or something, no a proxmox type install, command line only. Something that goes beyond just a quick bash script to get OVZ running but best practise for setting containers up with NAT, security and the like.

It's getting used more and more, especially with all the Kimsufi, Online and other cheap dedis about that have little IP space.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

A tutorial for setting up NAT would be pretty interesting, indeed! :)

• NAT OpenVZ/KVM. I could make a tut in my spare time this weekend. Of course i dont need the VPS and would prefer it to be given away.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2015

TropiThomas said: Of course i dont need the VPS and would prefer it to be given away.

I guess if you were to win the prize but did not want it you can speak to @mpkossen about passing it along to the next best tutorial with input from yourself.

Thanked by 128Tom
  • Would be great if writers keep LET vps as sample in their tutorials.

Love this idea. Ty @mpkossen ;)

• @Jar said:
    I've never personally witnessed a CloudFlare DNS outage.

I think the last one was two and a half years ago. They're extremely reliable as a DNS provider.

• I wrote UptimeFlare for auto dns A record switching using uptime robot, feel free to strip it out and grab the part that handles the cloudflare stuff.

Thanked by 2jar Ndha
  • TropiThomas said: NAT OpenVZ/KVM. I could make a tut in my spare time this weekend.

+1 I would also like to see a detailed tutorial with best practices for setting up NAT openvz and NAT KVM. Also, a detailed tutorial on setting up Proxmox for NAT+ipv6 in KVM vm's.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2015

@Lee said:
    I would really like to see a tutorial for setting up NAT with OVZ or something, no a proxmox type install, command line only. Something that goes beyond just a quick bash script to get OVZ running but best practise for setting containers up with NAT, security and the like.

It's getting used more and more, especially with all the Kimsufi, Online and other cheap dedis about that have little IP space.

@MrGeneral

Rapidly done by @Autosnipe, but works: http://virtguide.com/?mode=article&id=3

P.S: Don't browse the website outside of this link, it's broken.

P.S.S: PM me if you need something or for a broken link.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@davidgestiondbi said:
    P.S.S: PM me if you need something or for a broken link.

Thaaaanks! :)

• thanks for sharing. it is really awesome.

• Posted my first one today!

Installing SmartOS on VMware (sandbox so you can play with it and learn)

:-)

• @vRocket_io said:
    Posted my first one today!

Installing SmartOS on VMware (sandbox so you can play with it and learn)

:-)

Nice guide, but you're a little late!

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

0xdragon said: Nice guide, but you're a little late!

late for September, early for October ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @mikho said:

So true!

• @mikho said:

Ah, I just did it for doing's sake, not to win or anything. There'll be plenty more :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Just a note that the selection for the September winner is underway. Due to me being on vacation is has been delayed a little. I hope to get to it soon though.

• What will be the Prize for October?

• A tutorial for setting up a Debian web server from scratch would be pretty interesting,

• Setup NGINX, PHP-FPM, and MariaDB on Debian 8
    • optimize and secure the settings
    • Securing SSH server using port knocking iptables and fail2ban
This discussion has been closed.