Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expansion: Needs Opinions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Expansion: Needs Opinions

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited September 2012 in General

Hello,

I'd like to thank everybody on LET for taking advantage of our offers thread, and ordering. I've had a huge amount of orders in the first 10 days of being up, and are happy to say this. SwitchVM will be featuring on LowEndBox tomorrow, so I expect another influx of orders during a 24 hour period from which the offer is posted.

The main purpose of this thread is to ask for readers opinions about an expansion. When I am making a profit from the current LA node, we will be expanding elsewhere.

I'm either thinking:

• Netherlands
  • UK
  • Germany
  • Another US location (Chicago, New York, New Jersey, etc)

I'm currently not sure which one to go for and want your opinions. Which location would you prefer?

Another question, which provider would you recommend? Currently I have the following ideas:

• Netherlands - Qirus (top), WorldStream, SwiftWay, DediServ, SnelServer
  • UK - Redstation, BurstNET, Exascale
  • Germany - HostAddon, Hetzner, DediServ, ProviderService
  • US - InterServer, RackLot

It would be great to get some opinions on both questions to see what people thank.
Again, thank you :)

-Dominic

Thanked by 1acarrascope

Comments

• I think the only country on your list that doesn't have tons of LEB hosts yet is the Netherlands.

Thanked by 2PacketVM acarrascope
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@gsrdgrdghd said: I think the only country on your list that doesn't have tons of LEB hosts yet is the Netherlands.

Because of the pricing there, it is slightly higher than the other once in the list.

• @dominicl said: SwitchVM will be featuring on LowEndBox tomorrow

How can you be so sure ?

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Because of the pricing there, it is slightly higher than the other once in the list.

I've had a very good Quote from Qirus, which is why I've put them at the top. I've not really looked into what they're like yet (service, network, etc) though. If anybody has any other NL providers to consider, that would be much appreciated. I've just added SnelServer to my list.

@Jack said: I don't think anyone does KVM yet though.

That might be a good option to consider actually...

Don't forget Snel .. Not sure how they are performing in their new DC now.

Thanked by 1PacketVM

@dominicl said: That might be a good option to consider actually...

Seeing your "extensive" knowedge.. That would be a very bad idea.

Thanked by 1Infinity
    edited September 2012

@Jack said: Netherlands -

Qirus (top) - HAHA - You want to be kicked out if you ever receive a DoS?
    WorldStream - Max of 16 IPs?
    SwiftWay - Never used them.
    ProviderService - Aren't they in Germany?
    DediServ - On Leaseweb's Evoswitch network , if they use IPs from leaseweb I don't think they can allocate more than 16 ips?

Thanks ;) Just re-arranged my list. ProviderService are indeed in Germany. Added SnelServer. Forgot about them.

Qirus - I see. Hmm, maybe not to consider them then

What are they like in their new DC?

@Jack said: They seem decent though.

I like the look of their automation system or w.e they claim to have. It looks pretty good. They've had some good offers in the past, I know that.

@Jack said: If you have a drive fail by the looks of the facebook page.. you'll be waiting till 9AM weekdays...

Hmm, that's not good. And hopefully that won't happen. I'm never a fan of companies who don't work weekends but I could live with it as mainly my tickets are IP requests

• I'd say wait and gain at least 3 months of operational experience before you start expanding in new locations. Most of those signups during the first 10 days of any new host are probably frauds which you didn't know how to detect and filter off. Wait and see how many customers stay with you for the second month, gain some experience, then think about expansion.

@rds100 said: I'd say wait and gain at least 3 months of operational experience before you start expanding in new locations. Most of those signups during the first 10 days of any new host are probably frauds which you didn't know how to detect and filter off. Wait and see how many customers stay with you for the second month, gain some experience, then think about expansion.

Understood - will take that onboard. Ty.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I couldn't say it better than @rds100, definitely take note of that.

Thanked by 2DeletedUser Randy

@Infinity said: I couldn't say it better than @rds100, definitely take note of that.

Yeah, definitely will. :)

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @gsrdgrdghd said: I think the only country on your list that doesn't have tons of LEB hosts yet is the Netherlands.

+1 to them but

@rds100 said: I'd say wait and gain at least 3 months of operational experience before you start expanding in new locations. Most of those signups during the first 10 days of any new host are probably frauds which you didn't know how to detect and filter off. Wait and see how many customers stay with you for the second month, gain some experience, then think about expansion.

Expand can be made with a solid client base too, your offers are very hard to beat but add a new DC could change your balance in this stage. Add nodes where you are if you need them.

• I don't think you should be adding more locations yet - you've only got one server, and every location means empty space on a server. Add more nodes at your current location if you have to.

@acarrascope said: Expand can be made with a solid client base too, your offers are very hard to beat but add a new DC could change your balance in this stage. Add nodes where you are if you need them.

Yeah, I will wait a bit to see what happens anyway, but..I still need ideas for when I do expand..;)

@jhadley said: I don't think you should be adding more locations yet - you've only got one server, and every location means empty space on a server. Add more nodes at your current location if you have to.

Yeah - planning to add another LA node soon.

@Jack said: I wouldn't expand to a new 'location' , get to atleast 5 nodes in Location #1 :)

Okay ;)

• @dominicl
    Qirus sales still haven't replied to my inquiry... submitted over two weeks ago :(

• acarrascopeacarrascope Banned
    edited September 2012

@dominicl said: Yeah, I will wait a bit to see what happens

Great, the game is show it in blue. Netherlands is a classic even for Descartes :)

• RandyRandy Member
    edited September 2012

You are using the free month service from motion servers? LOL
    why are you expanding to fast? Dont over do it . OH Come on seriously ?

• RandyRandy Member
    edited September 2012

i would suggest you to get a backup server instead. I am sure your server is not RAID 10 so the risk of data loss is high. ;-) just some advice

• congrats @dominicl

• @Randy but you cannot restore those backups for him if it's not in the tos.

• @Randy said: i would suggest you to get a backup server instead. I am sure your server is not RAID 10 so the risk of data loss is high. ;-) just some advice

He uses RAID1. RAID10 only increases redundancy in some cases.

• I thought Randy claimed he was leaving LET...

@op - I beg of you to choose NL ;)

• @dominicl said: I've not really looked into what they're like yet (service, network, etc) though.

very smart

• @Jack said: Qirus (top) - HAHA - You want to be kicked out if you ever receive a DoS?

You just need to know the owner :)

@Jack said: SwiftWay - Never used them.

Good ISP, BW sometimes a big laggy but very cheap.

@Jack said: DediServ - On Leaseweb's Evoswitch network , if they use IPs from leaseweb I don't think they can allocate more than 16 ips?

DediServ is RIPE member and uses their own blocks, they allocate much more if you want it.

• @William said: DediServ is RIPE member and uses their own blocks, they allocate much more if you want it.

I have asked for a server with a /26 on quite a few occasions from them and its been refused every time.

• Netherlands, but please no SnelServer...

Going to wait a little bit, as has been said. :P Hopefully the LEB offer will get a few orders in. It will be posted today.