Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest HK Softlayer option?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest HK Softlayer option?

Hi,

the hosthatch and hostus offers are pretty good, but I wondered if there is anything even lower spec. I came across this, but the the NAT option does not seem to exist anymore:

http://vncoupon.com/hostwithlinux-hong-kong-vps-start-from-2-usd-per-month/

Anyone hosting there or knows other Softlayer HK options?
Regards
bryce

Comments

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited September 2015

because it is not really sustainable, most people use them to do activity that turn out not good business for the company(abuse, mining, copyright). Also not to mention softlayer has recently restructure their offering with very low bandwidth and high price, making this much more harder.

Companies there are forced to offer no lower then 512 most of the time inorder to jack up the price, and the international port is not strong enough to support whole machine of 128 slice(well... too expensive especially port to china), and if they offer it.. 90% of the customer will want to be on that plan.

Taobao has shitload of hk softlayer vps offering, but you gotta look and choose. But most is very strict on resource usage and p2p.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

HostHatch at $15/6 months is a killer deal, if you can tolerate OpenVZ that is (personally I can't anymore).

• Softlayler sells Hong Kong IP addresses at $2 per month per IP. I'm afraid HostHatch is not making any money with their current price.

• That is why I am looking for NAT. I don't need a dedicated IP.

• @bryce said:
    That is why I am looking for NAT. I don't need a dedicated IP.

Is Singapore or Japan enough? http://lowendspirit.com / http://littlehappycloud.net

• Network probably not good for me, but I'll test.

• As far as I remember @AnthonySmith once mentioned on the LES forum that HK may become a new location. Obviously no ETA though.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited September 2015

The majority of users on this plan were running VPN's to get around GFW, and within a week the NAT IP was blocked making the plan unusable for users in China.

If you need something super low spec or don't mind a USA geolocated IP please send me a PM and I'll sort something out.

@elgs said:
    Softlayler sells Hong Kong IP addresses at $2 per month per IP. I'm afraid HostHatch is not making any money with their current price.

EDIT: ignore me i'm stupid

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@linuxthefish said:
    They have their own APNIC IP blocks, it's the only way to get decent pricing.

Are you sure it's from APNIC and not RIPE?

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited September 2015

@Nyr said:
    Are you sure it's from APNIC and not RIPE?

Yep, 100% stupid

• Nyr said: Are you sure it's from APNIC and not RIPE?

It is RIPE.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@linuxthefish said:
    Yep, 100% sure - I PM'd you the block my VPS IP is in.

That's HostUS, not HostHatch ;)

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @Nyr said:
    That's HostUS, not HostHatch ;)

whoops! Not woke up properly this morning...

• OpenVZ is fine for me on HostHatch. My ip shows at somewhere in German though. I don't care what ip they provide as long as the line is fast and stable. Right now it's working fine.

• Mmmh, I missed the free upgrade 1->1.5G promotion from HostHatch, contacted them but no reply. Just wonder if anyone can suggest the similar good deal :-)?

• We have a 512MB LE Plan that now includes HK, tho if you want China-Direct transit, it's an extra €15 / $16.50 per month for a 10Mbps uplink, including an IP.

• Sorry 0 Link Direct Cart Link https://manage.dediserve.com/?cmd=cart&action=add&id=131

Price is €3.50 / $3.85 monthly.

• @dediserve said:
    We have a 512MB LE Plan that now includes HK, tho if you want China-Direct transit, it's an extra €15 / $16.50 per month for a 10Mbps uplink, including an IP.

I saw your 50% off last time, can you do it for HK/SG 1.5-2G? I do not intend to use China direct so just need normal package.

• @nhocconan said:
    I saw your 50% off last time, can you do it for HK/SG 1.5-2G? I do not intend to use China direct so just need normal package.

Sure. Drop me a pm for a code.

• @dediserve said:

PMed. Thanks.

edited September 2015

@dediserve I tried pinging the 1st test IP from http://speedtest.c1.hkg1.dediserve.com/ but it's not accessible; also outgoing MTR doesn't seem to work either. And a question, do you provide IPv6 there?

• Outbound ping works for me (you can toggle the china link or regular link too)

IP6 is available in HK

@dediserve said:
    Outbound ping works for me (you can toggle the china link or regular link too)

Oh right, it just can't reach my ISP. Try 92.255.170.1.

I get:

HOST: speedtest.c1.hkg1.dediserve.com Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
      1. 103.53.199.1                     0.0%    10    0.3   0.3   0.3   0.4   0.0
      2. ???                             100.0    10    0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0

and that's all. Seems there's a partial connectivity issue.

IP6 is available in HK

Can you please PM me a test IPv6.

• ICMP is allowed to the Speedtest server now.

• lovemindsloveminds Member
    edited September 2015

Notice:now hostwithlinux some new node no longer in Softlayer, then in Pacswitch
    Demo IP 116.193.159.1 for worse route
    http://bgp.he.net/AS55536

• @dediserve said:

Dediserve, I signed up your HK server (2cores/2G) just few days ago using promo code 70% off (lifetime).

Is it possible to change my existing HK server to 50% off (lifetime) ? If ok, I will sign up two more HK servers (2cores/2G) immediately (Of course 50% also) .

In addition, want to know China IP is also 50% also?

• @noqqkk said:

mmh, strange, why changing from 70% off to 50% off :lol:
    I personally used the code, not sure if @dediserve allows to share, so I think you should just pm him :-)

• Should be 30% off in my existing plan now so that I want to get 50% off