Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr Introduces DDoS Protection for 0.015$/hour
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr Introduces DDoS Protection for 0.015$/hour

The company just announced DDoS protection as an additional service for 0.015$/hour or 10$/month.

It's available in five of their 14 locations: Amsterdam, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, and New Jersey.

They claim 10Gb/s mitigation capacity per instance, with bigger options coming soon, and implying additional locations.

Sources: blog post and product page.

For people with no account there yet, check out their 50$ free credit during 60 days trial.

Comments

• Does the per hour pricing mean that you can turn the protection on for 1 hour, then turn it off, and only pay the surcharge for the 1 hour when it was turned on?

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • trvztrvz Member
    edited September 2015

@rds100 said:
    Does the per hour pricing mean that you can turn the protection on for 1 hour, then turn it off, and only pay the surcharge for the 1 hour when it was turned on?

That's a good question and I just looked. Seems like that is indeed possible.

Edit:

Are you sure you want to disable DDOS protection? Once disabled, DDOS protection cannot be reenabled on a subscription. This can take up to 5 minutes to take effect.

• Their support and attitude towards customers is unrivalled. As we know, @DaveA et all don't give a shit.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

Monthly is too expensive. Plus, I think they start charging the moment you turn it on, not from when it becomes effective. Server creations are also charged that way.

Hourly sounds good if someone's pissing on you, though.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

10 gpbs is not really much. Anyway it's difficult to trust they will help with the mitigation during a difficult attack considering the bad support.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2015

Nyr said: Anyway it's difficult to trust they will help with the mitigation during a difficult attack considering the bad support.

Well, they either help with the mitigation, or their other customers on the same node suffer. Or they nullroute and call it mitigation :)

• Didn't vultr fake the CloudFlare DDoS-protection page to keep themselves online against some attacks they received?

• tr1cky said: Didn't vultr fake the CloudFlare DDoS-protection page to keep themselves online against some attacks they received?

No, they're genuinely using CF to protect some areas of their website.

Ironic - with their New Jersey footprint boasting over 1000Gb/s of network capacity and now themselves entering the DDoS mitigation game, why aren't they capable of defending themselves?

Thanked by 2asf rgenzon
  • DeanDean Member
    edited September 2015

I thought when I signed up they had DDoS protection listed on their website for a couple of locations?
    This was when they first launched, mind you.

• @DeanKamitsis said:
    I thought when I signed up they had DDoS protection listed on their website for a couple of locations?
    This was when they first launched, mind you.

They then stated "no we never said that <.<"

• Wörks great:

• @tr1cky said:
    Wörks great:

It seems their DDoS protection is by null routing lol.

• DeanDean Member
    edited September 2015

@Mun said:

Wow - guess i'll use my credit and move away...
    It definitely said it as it was one of the reasons I joined!

• Yeah, I was going to move a lot of stuff to it as well then found out that they stated no to it.

@tr1cky said:
    Wörks great:

Mind making it so we can actually see the time of that notification, as it sure looks like you are just making shit up. (I see you removed the date)

• Mun said: Mind making it so we can actually see the time of that notification, as it sure looks like you are just making shit up. (I see you removed the date)

Already removed the VPS, but here is the notification:

and the billing for it:

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Hmm weird... wonder how big you got hit by?

• Mun said: Hmm weird... wonder how big you got hit by?

I know how big I hit myself and it was not even 5gbps.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • GM2015 said: Monthly is too expensive

Because billing per hour :)

• Why does your ticket say updated by customer and then the text? Confused...

• Ticket ABC-666XY has been updated by Abraham Barnie Charleston [staff].

Hello,

I have removed the default SMTP block on your account. Please restart any active instances via https://my.vultr.com for the change to take effect (restarting via the server itself _will_not_ work).

For reference, our ANTI-SPAM policy is listed here:

https://www.vultr.com/legal/antispam_policy.php

Regards,
    Abraham Barnie Charleston
    Vultr.com

To update or check the progress of your ticket, please login to https://my.vultr.com/support/ or reply directly to this e-mail. 

Thank you for using Vultr.com

Follow us on Twitter!  

https://twitter.com/vultr

It's probably an automated ticket opened by their system on behalf of the customer. Doesn't whmcs do stuff like that?

DeanKamitsis said: Why does your ticket say updated by customer and then the text? Confused...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Congrats Vultr! Quite a nice add on!

• Speaking of nice things, that's a nice title @Jar ;)

Thanked by 1jar
  • Their filtering in Amsterdam doesn't work at all, their filtering in New Jersey works.
    Mitigates ~5gbps SSDP without a problem.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @kcaj said:
    Ironic - with their New Jersey footprint boasting over 1000Gb/s of network capacity and now themselves entering the DDoS mitigation game, why aren't they capable of defending themselves?

Made my say 'oh shit'

• Nice! Really love my VULTR instances and I like how they keep adding more and more features.

• sin said: Nice! Really love my VULTR instances and I like how they keep adding more and more features.

Eh okay, I guess this alright. I mean I understand if they need more cash for the DDOS protection but the per hour is a giant put off for me. Charge me for it in the price of the instance and be done with it. This add on stuff is for the birds.

• What is mind-boggling is that while Vultr really doesn't seem to give much about customer service and experience, their operation at Choopa works quite well. I have a dedicated server with them in New Jersey for quite some time. Initially there were some issues with the network - major latency issues caused by an over-reliance on GTT - but ever since they reduced GTT from their network mix, things have remained stable and reliable. The support I was in contact with was top notch.

• zeitgeist said: What is mind-boggling is that while Vultr really doesn't seem to give much about customer service and experience, their operation at Choopa works quite well. I have a dedicated server with them in New Jersey for quite some time. Initially there were some issues with the network - major latency issues caused by an over-reliance on GTT - but ever since they reduced GTT from their network mix, things have remained stable and reliable. The support I was in contact with was top notch.

I am still wondering about the entire world in general in this regard though. Seems no matter where you go most places have lost the customer service aspect of things. I get it that everything is supposed to be self service now but some things are still not and when my server at a restaurant is annoying I am annoying back.

I have services with a few providers here and I hope I am not that big of a pain in the butt. I try not be anyways, but at some point you have to have some skills and care about customers.

• @AuroraZ said:
    I have services with a few providers here and I hope I am not that big of a pain in the butt. I try not be anyways, but at some point you have to have some skills and care about customers.

I would partially agree with that. Race for the lowest price means something has to go and why not start with something that can't be measured.

That being said, there are some provider out there such as @DediServe who I have now used for closer to 4 months and have achieved 99.99%/100% uptime on all servers.

My experience with @Vultr has not been great either, their Customer Service is quite "rough", but then I am assuming all these "pay-by-hour" services have to put with huge number of spammers who buy these hourly, that they are fed-up to the hilt.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • I wonder how much RAID is going to cost.