Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How hard would it be to setup a small datacenter? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How hard would it be to setup a small datacenter?

2»

Comments

• @Shane_Elmore said: Not like, super professional with cooling

How do you do anything without cooling?

• edited September 2012

While searching for a graphical response to @Jack, I found this:

Not what I was looking for, but probably better than what I'd find.

Thanked by 3jar Infinity Pats
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Shane_Elmore said: Please do not post "oh but shane you're only 17 you cannot open a datacenter". I know that, which is why I said around a few years from now.

Nobody around here should use age as the basis for approving or condemning a business idea. We have several early-20s people around here running huge companies. But the key to all this is money and experience. If you don't have the experience and can't pay someone who does, you're out of luck.

Start small, see what it's like from the ground up, and then decide if you really want to pursue something like that. If those DCs in your area were bringing in lots of customers, they would probably be charging considerably less. Doesn't sound like a good market.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited September 2012

Start small with a server room first then see what you can do in a larger scale. Like everyone has mentioned experience + startup capital is key

• @Jack I didn't think you would give up your company's secrets!

• I think it's possible, just rent a tiny office space like 300-500 sq feet for dirt cheap and just stuff it with servers.. not sure if it's available in your area but that Google fiber offering with 1000mbps would be a good choice.

Where I use to work I know of a few folks who has done exactly this they rent the upstairs office space and colo computers, I'm sure it's not for everyone but I know a lot of hobbyist would sign up for your service if it's cheap enough

• @Zen said: Not allowed. No ISP will allow you to do this sort of thing on a standard plan.

And either way, Google Fiber doesn't exist yet and it will be in Kansas City first. It'll be a while, I think, before it's readily available anyhow.

• @MannDude said: And either way, Google Fiber doesn't exist yet and it will be in Kansas City first. It'll be a while, I think, before it's readily available anyhow.

Not to mention that Wholesale Internet and Datashack kinda have the Kansas City budget market saturated. And they're using real transit and fiber, not some residential line.

• JTRJTR Member
    edited September 2012

@Jack

I found some servers for Shane!

• @JTR Too fancy.. we want to keep costs down remember!

Thanked by 3klikli ihatetonyy Ishaq
  • This looks like an ideal rack mounted kvm console thingymedoodle.

• JTRJTR Member
    edited September 2012

@AsadHaider

He should just buy some servers from http://hostbluff.com and resell them.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

@ElliotJ Too many buttons.. WHAT TO DO?

• @AsadHaider

Problem solved!

• @JTR You're a problem solver, I like you.

• @AsadHaider said: WHAT TO DO?

HIT THEM ALL!

• RandyRandy Member
    edited September 2012

Shane. do you really think you can handle it ? we dont want a dc to not pay its bills and have our server taken offline
    like others said you need 20 M and it will cost you alot to open one the equipment itself is already a killler.

Stop dreaming and just rent servers. you cant even pay the server bils what makes you think you can pay for your own DC?

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited September 2012

Isn't google notorious for not always using chassis and velcro mounting ups batteries to the mb?

• @bdtech Ya, they build their own hardware though.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Randy said: Stop dreaming snd just rentcservers. you cant even pay the server bils what makes you thing you can pay for your own DC?

Randy this is exactly what we're talking about. This kind of comment. You're just talking to talk at this point, parroting what others are saying as if it you're adding content.

I'm not trying to get on you but I want you to recognize what you're doing and how others perceive it so that you can better interact with this community.

Thanked by 3Taz DeletedUser NanoG6
  • Understod thanks Nick

• Have fun paying for dark fiber in a tier 3 market.

• @liam said: @william would not agree.

I would, under at least 500k-1mil you don't need to even try it.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

@ElliotJ said: thingymedoodle

My daughter has one of those, eats batteries like crazy though so not very power friendly. :)

Setting up a DC is fairly easy with enough planning, securing the money is the tricky part. At my day job we were looking at purchasing an already build data center and without power or bandwidth it was $7m just to get it up to spec (they decided to just build a brand new one in Denver where power and bandwidth are cheap but they are spending tens of millions for it).

If you don't do it right then it's not worth doing unless you plan on leaving the building when you want to do it right or you plan on spending millions to do it right.