Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About SUPERMICRO OPTERON 1385
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

About SUPERMICRO OPTERON 1385

Does anyone have experience with SUPERMICRO OPTERON 1385 ? is it equivalent to Xeon ?

Thank you

Comments

• nearly identical to the 1381 performance wise http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3184293

but depends which xeon you compare it to. the single thread is not that good

• Thank you for your replies ..
    What about Supermicro 2XL5420 16GB 2x1TB SATA RTO ? is this a Dual CPU ?

Also I wanted to Install Vmware Esxi because it is easy .. one cpu license as my friend mentioned is free ? Kindly provide me further informations

• 2XL5420

2 x L5420

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I have very fond memories of the old AMD Opteron 270 series. It was really revolutionary considering it's Intel competitor was the 3.06Ghz classic Xeon chip.

Back in my game server days the Opteron 270 was a big game changer.

• jbiloh said: I have very fond memories of the old AMD Opteron 270 series

I've got about 600 BL35p blades (Dual O270's) if you feel you want to fire some up. Just need the scrap cost of the materials and they can be on a truck to you tomorrow.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@MarkTurner said:

$7

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited September 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    I've got about 600 BL35p blades (Dual O270's) if you feel you want to fire some up. Just need the scrap cost of the materials and they can be on a truck to you tomorrow.

:O I want

Go rent them out :P

• There a lot of metal on them

joodle said: Go rent them out :P

Tempting :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

MarkTurner said: There a lot of metal on them

I can buy 1 or 2 of them, just PM me with specs and price :P

• tomletomle Member, LIR

@kamal said:
    Thank you for your replies ..
    What about Supermicro 2XL5420 16GB 2x1TB SATA RTO ? is this a Dual CPU ?

Also I wanted to Install Vmware Esxi because it is easy .. one cpu license as my friend mentioned is free ? Kindly provide me further informations

Please try to use google or other pages like www.cpu-world.com. Also you can try to read. Do you think that 2XL5420 is dual cpu? Why or why not?

You can't expect to be spoon-fed, make an effort and we will gladly help you.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2015

MarkTurner said: Tempting :)

Power usage of these is insane though, are they even DDR2 yet?

We have 3 bladecenters from HP here (bunch of DDR1 Single core Xeons, bunch of unknown AMDs with DDR2, but not FBDIMM) - not worth anything in sale, cannot run them on 220V, power usage per bladecenter insane (like 12A 220V per BC with 8 blades)

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

William said: Power usage of these is insane though, are they even DDR2 yet?

The power usage is what made the old school opteron a paper weight. Impossible to rent those units at cheap prices and actually make money.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • William said: Power usage of these is insane though, are they even DDR2 yet?

The are pretty antique but hot stuff in their day. I think 16 BL35p (half height) blades at 208v ran at about 18A.