Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't figure how to make NFS work under OpenVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can't figure how to make NFS work under OpenVZ

I've always used KVM or dedicated. Making a NFS server up and running was a piece of cake. Now I'm using a OpenVZ VPS and I'm having different issues.

From the OpenVZ wiki:

You will need the following software:

vzctl version 3.0.13 or higher (do vzctl --version)
kernel version 2.6.18-028test006 or higher (2.6.18-028stab* will do), or any recent RHEL5-based or 2.6.20-based kernel.

My requirements are met.

I already asked the VPS provider to load the NFS module, and she kindly did it. However, I get a time-out from my laptop (the client):

$ sudo mount IPADDRESS_OF_VPS:/home/issam/ /mnt/VPS
mount.nfs: Connection timed out

IPTABLES is not the issue:

issam@VPS:~$ sudo iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Everything is allowed.

Did anyone successfully mounted an NFS server from an OpenVZ VPS?

Thanks!

Comments

• Be sure to contact your provider and request that they enable NFS for your container. Once it has been enabled, follow the directions at the following page to setup NFS.

https://openvz.org/NFS

• duh, did you even read his post? It was enabled already.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Thanks for the answer!

As I wrote, the provider already loaded it. But I still get the time-out. I also double checked the export list but it has no mistakes.

• What does your NFS export look like?
    Are you trying to access it over SSH portfowarding or a VPN?

• Issam2204Issam2204 Member
    edited September 2015

@Bochi This is how my NFS export look like:

/home/issam    IP_HOME(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
    IP_VPS1(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
    IP_VPS2(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
    IP_DEDICATED_SERVER(rw,sync,no_subtree_check) IP_VPS3(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)

My laptop is behind a VPN. But I don't think it matters, I also mount NFS from the others VPS (behind a VPN) without any issue.

• @William said:
    duh, did you even read his post? It was enabled already.

She might have missed a module.
    Been there...

• @Nomad said:
    Been there...

I asked her to double check. I hope it's not the case she forgot twice.

• @Issam2204 said:

Firstly no offence take, but im a guy.. don't worry your not the first person to get confused.

Feel free to confirm back on the ticket and I will gladly have a look over your config and make sure their is nothing I can see you may have missed.

• BochiBochi Member
    edited September 2015

@Issam2204 said:
    Bochi This is how my NFS export look like:

/home/issam IP_HOME(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
    IP_VPS1(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
    IP_VPS2(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
    IP_DEDICATED_SERVER(rw,sync,no_subtree_check) IP_VPS3(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)

My laptop is behind a VPN. But I don't think it matters, I also mount NFS from the others VPS (behind a VPN) without any issue.

Ok, export looks good - nothing special.
    So we are searching an error on your client side as the same share works correctly on the other machines?

/EDIT/
    Maybe a stupid question, so forgive me, but:
    You exports says you do it for your IP_HOME, but you just told us that you are using a VPN which would provide the VPNs IP to your NFS server?

• Sorry for the confusion Ashley!

I wrote here simply because I didn't want to abuse of the support system for issues other than technical failures :)

Thanked by 1AshleyUk
  • @Issam2204 said:

Ok, the last time my provider told me he enabled the daemon but forgot the service. (It was a beta)

Here are the commands he used:

vzctl set 103 --feature nfs:on --save  
    vzctl set 103 --feature nfsd:on --save  

Also, try NFS 3, I've been told OpenVZ didn't support NFS 4

• @Bochi said:
    So we are searching an error on your client side as the same share works correctly on the other machines?

All other shares work perfectly on my laptop. I tried to mount the OpenVZ share on my laptop as well as in other machines (KVM VPS) but I always get a timeout.

• @Nomad said:
    Also, try NFS 3, I've been told OpenVZ didn't support NFS 4

Both where enabled at the same time, however as pointed out to Issam sometimes a reboot of the VM is required. @Issam2204 was this completed?

• @AshleyUk said:
    Both where enabled at the same time, however as pointed out to Issam sometimes a reboot of the VM is required. Issam2204 was this completed?

Yes..multiple times :)

• Problem solved! The issue was that it needed a reboot from the provider' side. Now everything works perfectly!

I must say that ZXPlay has a top notch support! Tickets are replied within 15 minutes in the weekend! Unbelievable! Ashley followed my issues for different time with extreme professionalism and kindness.

Thanks everyone, and thank you Ashley!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Issam2204 said: it needed a reboot from the provider' side

Reboot of the node with hundreds of customers on it? Lovely.

The real solution is to just cancel all OpenVZ and don't even bother with it in the first place.

• rm_ said: Reboot of the node with hundreds of customers on it? Lovely.

Ok, wait a minute. Let's not jump to conclusions and don't take my "explanations" as absolute. I don't specifically know what magic he did, but he did it. From my brief experience, ZXPlay showed to be an excellent VPS provider.

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited September 2015

@rm_ said:
    The real solution is to just cancel all OpenVZ and don't even bother with it in the first place.

A reboot of the customers container from the command line.

Obviously not a full reboot of the node, which was never mentioned in the first place.

Edit:
    However, yes I agree OpenVZ can be a pain, currently we only use it on the LET Storage offer, however a plan is in place to upgrade to KVM in the near future if the client wishes, to match the rest of our offerings.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

The reboot could most likely have been done by the client from SolusVM (if thats the control panel used).

This is not the only thing that is solved by clicking that reboot button rather then issuing a reboot from inside the vm.