Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mail Server on 256mb RAM? Possible?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mail Server on 256mb RAM? Possible?

juanjuan Member
edited September 2012 in General

Hi, i have a unused vps with 256mb RAM running on FreeBSD, I'd like to transfer one static website and a mail server on it. Is 256mb RAM with 25gb storage enough for it? And does anyone have a very good tutorial on how to setup a very simple mail server with a good anti-virus and spam controller. Thanks.

Comments

• Yes it is perfectly possible. Anything is possible as long as it is linux.

• I have a 128mb VPS and run both web services and mail services. I followed most of this tutorial depending on my needs...madspace2.rajeshprakash.com/lowendvpsconfig.htm and it idles between 30-60mb of RAM.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It depends, for 10 k mails an hour, wont cut it, for non-spam usage, even with filters and webmail will do, albeit a bit slow.
    M

• install postfix mail server on freebsd :

h++p://www.unixug.com/content/install-mail-server-postfix-freebsd-82-release
    h++p://www.scriptinstallation.in/freebsd_postfix_install.html

• I run postfix+dovecot on a 128MB XEN, traffic about 300 mails/day and it handles it absolutely fine. (Debian 6)

• @juan said: a very good tutorial on how to setup a very simple mail server with a good anti-virus and spam controller

+1 for postfix and dovecot.

There's endless tutorials out there, good and bad. The problem is, most implement spamassassin & clam for spam/antivirus. Spamassassin and clam will suck 10X more memory than the actual mail apps.

If you want a really lean LEB mailserver for your personal accounts, and don't mind getting your hands dirty, look at implementing spamprobe, a fast, light bayesian filter. Once it's trained it's extremely effective.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: Yes it is perfectly possible. Anything is possible as long as it is linux.

Can it do my taxes?

• @jarland said: Can it do my taxes?

All it takes is a php script :P

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said: Can it do my taxes?

you might end up with a lesser tax return, windows is trained by bill, will do a better job.
    M

Thanked by 2Taz jar
  • I have a buyvm OVZ with 128mb ram (256 burst) and the offsite mysql capability they offer. Would the mysql option help in this case for a stable installation for mail only?
    Roundcube (nginx probably?) for webmail and dovecot+postfix?

• @haris said: Would the mysql option help in this case for a stable installation for mail only?

I doubt if it would make any difference, unless you're hosting thousand of virtual users, or have roundcube storing mail in the db (totally unnecessary IMO). Dovecot can cache authentications, significantly reducing db queries. And if you put imapproxy between roundcube and dovecot you relieve the constant auth requests that a stateless webmail app makes on the imap server.

Thanked by 1haris
  • thanks all, i think i'm set for postfix+dovecot setup. this is just going to be a personal mail so i guess clamav or spamassasin is not necessary at all. thanks again.