Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting up a Personal DNS Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setting up a Personal DNS Server

Hi
I am looking to use my vps as DNS server so that all dns requests are sent to my vps which resolves it.Currentyl Google's DNS server are not working good for me. Shouild I use any other public DNS server or set my own.I personally wan't to set my own

Poll
  1. Which DNS server to use?16 votes
    1. Google(Not too fast)
      100.00%
    2. ISP (Too slow)
        0.00%

Comments

• If you go with your own DNS make sure you have more than one (in different locations for redundancy) and secure it so it's not used for amplification attacks.

OpenDNS is another popular, public DNS resolver.

• You could try OpenDNS, but to be honest if Google's are too slow I doubt they'll be faster.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @JustaMacUser
    How can I make it personal to me?
    I dont't want it to be for a static IP.Since My ISP changes my IP.Is there some sort of password protection.
    @Nekki
    OpenDNS might be good but too many traffic coming from my country to same IP will result in lower speed(theoreticaly).Packets directed towards my IP would not be much since I would be only using it

Also
    I am a learner.It would be good to learn new things :-)

Thanked by 1maoyipeng
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

noaman said: use my vps as DNS server

And why you didn't add such option to your poll, for those of us who already do exactly this?

• Install pdnsd and use it to resolve from the root server!

It will cache the results locally and then will be very fast, and you know that your dns don't lie to you as you have full power :)

Uses very little resources, too.

• @rm_
    I clicked the arrow to add another option...Due to stupid connectivity it flashed a chrome error screen...so what the hell...Let's just post it.....

• @noaman, DNS servers like Bind have an option to limit (by IP) who is allowed to do recursive look-ups. You can also limit this in your firewall. But if your IP changes that frequently this isn't a viable solution. You could, conceivably, use a dynamic DNS service or some other script that the DNS server could routinely check to update the appropriate settings, but that's kind of clunky.

Best thing, if you really want to run your own, is run it on your LAN. That way it's internal, fast, and you can make sure it's always running.

If you don't want to do all the work of running a full DNS resolver, you can use something like dnsmasq, which is super-easy to setup and caches the results to improve performance. Some routers internally use dnsmasq to improve speed for the client devices on the network.

• Yes...I have heard about dnsmasq...and his about running a custom dynamic dns? On your own VPS

• Update : Just Set up pdnsd and configured it to my personal usage.It is working great.But the problem is that it is not secure.

• @noaman said:
    Hi
    I am looking to use my vps as DNS server so that all dns requests are sent to my vps which resolves it.Currentyl Google's DNS server are not working good for me. Shouild I use any other public DNS server or set my own.I personally wan't to set my own

What I think you are asking is to run your VPS as the DNS server for your home network. Is that right?

Here is a helpful DNS benchmark tool I have used in the past at customer sites. It requires Windows. It does not run natively on Linux or Mac, but it will also run under Wine on those platforms.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

If you set up your VPS as a DNS server, you can add it to the list and compare results between your VPS and other DNS servers, including Google, OpenDNS, and more.

Warning:
    Some firewalls react to this tool as if your computer were infected with malware, because it sends out so many DNS requests so quickly.

• bind9 + rndc is pretty straight forward.

• @noaman said:
    his about running a custom dynamic dns? On your own VPS

You said your home IP was dynamic, which means restricting the VPS to only allow DNS requests from certain IPs wouldn't really work. So on your home computer you sign-up for a dynamic DNS service (NoIP, DynDNS, etc.); a program running locally at your home will update the domain name you pick for your home IP. You would then setup a cronjob on the VPS to do a look-up of that domain name (e.g. myhouse.dyndns.org) and update the allowed IP based on the returned results.

Frankly, it's less than ideal. I'd just use an old PC, throw something like CentOS or Debian on it and set up the DNS server there--running it from your home. It would be really fast since it's on your LAN (though it would probably cost more in electricity than a low-end box :-/)

But an even simpler solution is to just buy a good router that caches the DNS for you. Really that should make things a lot better. How bad are your DNS lookups?

• If google is slow then you might want to use a DNS cache..

• FuslFusl Member
    edited September 2015

Try OpenNIC and to find the fastest OpenNIC server for you try this bash script.

• @fusl will try that

@4n0nx I am currently using pdnsd..

@JustAMacUser....Sometime it flashes DNS probe internet error and when refreshed works fine

Thanked by 14n0nx