Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any experience with OVH VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any experience with OVH VPS?

Their new VPS line looks amazing http://www.ovh.com/us/vps/

Cheap and lots of resources.
I am thinking to move a lot of production websites there but I am worried about their stability.

Anyone using them?

Comments

• Been using : http://www.ovh.com/us/vps/vps-cloud.xml for a while, good performance all around, had 0% issues, and is backed by a proper SLA, however not had chance to test this yet.
    Fingers crossed

• Got a control panel screenshot? I am curious about how you control most of the features they advertise.

• There you go, it does the job, usual OVH layout same as a dedicated really, just couple more VM features, some still to come, like extra IPs e.t.c

• Had one of the "VPS 2015" line for a few months and it had pretty decent performance considering the price. However there were some reboots from time to time...
    New "VPS 2016" looks pretty promising it would say.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2015

Well. We have a Customer who has a website mirror 'just in case' on their VPS.

Last week I have counted 41 reports of downtime. 41 incidents over a week.

• Clouvider said: Last week I have counted 41 reports of downtime. 41 incidents over a week.

This is on their new 2016 line?

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited September 2015

Clouvider said: Last week I have counted 41 reports of downtime. 41 incidents over a week.

Weird, had zero issues with Runabove (which isn't even made for production) for the past year.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Clouvider said:

Well. We have a Customer who has a website mirror 'just in case' on their VPS.

What is each incident like? 41 doesn't mean anything, maybe I have packet loss on my VPS for a couple minutes and have script monitoring it with ping every second, then there's 60 incidents because it responds to every other ping!

edited September 2015

Every two minutes. To see if HTTP responds.

There are weeks with no incidents, and there are weeks with constant issues.

Current uptime is two days. Obliviously no one rebooted the virtual machine on our end.

Depends on the machine they put you on I guess.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Clouvider said: Depends on the machine they put you on I guess.

The question that was asked is:

sin said: This is on their new 2016 line?

Sorry, missed that.

I don't know, we just manage it. Server was added at the beginning of 2015, I don't know when OVH introduced their 2016 line, they don't make it easy taking into account that is only September '15 now.

• @Clouvider Is your client use their Canada location, client of mine tell me that they oversell their BHS location VMware VMs to a level that is unstable (IO issues)...

P.S One of our name servers are on their VM at RBX and do not have any issues

@coolice France as per the traceroute.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

Clouvider said: Server was added at the beginning of 2015

Then this was their old OpenVZ offer, which has nothing to do whatsoever with the brand new KVM lineup discussed in this thread, you can't even compare the stability between the two.

• @Clouvider said:
    coolice France as per the traceroute.

France is wide guess with them as far as I remember they have Roubaix, Strasbourg and I do not remeber if they have Gravelines location for their old VMs

• I had an issue where I wanted a pro-rated refund for a VPS which couldn't rum Zimbra. They wouldn't apply the unused time to a dedicated server; I had to purchase a larger VPS for them to apply the pro-rated credit to so just a heads up. Policy is policy.

• I've not tried the new servers but the old ones were what i image dollar store awesome vps hosting is like. good and cheap and the canadian support weren't arseholes

• @AshleyUk would you mind showing the available options behind the 'Upgrade my VPS' button? I'd like to know, if one can upgrade e.g hdd space only or at least upgrade to bigger VPS than their 3 pre-defined products . thanks in advance!

edited September 2015

@rm_ said:
    Then this was their old OpenVZ offer, which has nothing to do whatsoever with the brand new KVM lineup discussed in this thread, you can't even compare the stability between the two.

It might be. It has to do a lot, if they would care about their Customers this would be either fixed or migrated. Tells a lot about the company.

What if their KVM platform go downhill? Will they also ignore it and build Xen platform this time, one year later?

Completely unreliable for anything in production.

• @Falzo said:
    AshleyUk would you mind showing the available options behind the 'Upgrade my VPS' button? I'd like to know, if one can upgrade e.g hdd space only or at least upgrade to bigger VPS than their 3 pre-defined products . thanks in advance!

I have a snapshot taken so can't show you the upgrade screen, but it allows you to upgrade to any of the standard plans.

• Just to confirm, OpenVZ and the issues mentioned in this thread are in relation to their Classic VPS, and yes, they were fairly poor in terms of performance, however, they were advertised as only being for testing environments.

For production environments go with their Cloud VPS, they're brilliant, very reliable and come with an SLA.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I have the cheapest VPS they do, and am not too happy with it. I am not home right now, but when I am I will type up my review.

• Can someone tell, OVH accept PayPal now, or CC only?

• @fitvpn said:
    Can someone tell, OVH accept PayPal now, or CC only?

Both, well UK customers defiantly.

Thanked by 1fitvpn
  • madtbhmadtbh Member
    edited September 2015

I have a VPS 2014 Classic 1, works fine for a VPN server.

Not had any downtime for a while, had a few issues when I first singed up.

@fitvpn said:
    Can someone tell, OVH accept PayPal now, or CC only?

Payment methods offered by OVH (UK)

Credit and debit cards

>

Paypal

>

Cheques

>

Money order

>

Prepaid account

>

Bank transfer

Source: https://www.ovh.co.uk/support/termsofservice/payment.xml

Thanked by 1fitvpn
  • Clouvider said: Well. We have a Customer who has a website mirror 'just in case' on their VPS.

Want to comfirm this. I've access to some new VPS'es on OVH and some of them were having network issues for few days. It was around 24 hours of downtime total. It's fine now for a week or two, but i'm now afraid to use their VPS'es. Their old VPS line worked fine for me.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • AshleyUk said: Both, well UK customers defiantly.

We can use Ireland site or US site outside other countries where OVH represented

• @fitvpn said:

I know, I meant I can only confirm myself that take PP & CC on UK site as only one ive used.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited September 2015

Customer of OVH OpenVZ VPS. Does what I need, but would -not- recommend for anything production. Connections drop occasionally for no apparent reason and take minutes to recover. Occasional OOM kills of your processes even when you aren't consuming your plan size in RAM. Sluggish. I doubt these issues are all gone in their KVM offering, except possibly the OOM kills converting into additional sluggishness rather than outright kill.

• singsing said: singsing

Heh.. I use old OpenVZ for six months never got a problem with it