Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who was your 1st provider? [non free]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who was your 1st provider? [non free]

PatsPats Member
edited September 2012 in General

There are many remembrances of 1st Provider - sweet/sour
Or good/bitter experiences :D

My First Provider was C I Host @Dallas/Fort Worth - Reseller Hosting Account (Affiliate model, they didn't have bulk Reseller model that time)
and that was around - wait.. long time already - let me check the archive of email used that time (now defunct :P )

Had very good experiences for 6months-1year, then moved to cPanel reseller account with another good provider found at WHT - better savings and better panel to clients.. :)
Later quickly jumped to own cPanel Dedicated :P

Edit: i wanted to discuss Non-free providers.. as i also started with Tripod.. geocities.. ourfamily etc. :P

Comments

• hostrail :)

• 000webhost.com

Hate it, like it, more then 90% people here used them or other free provider before using anyone else.

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited September 2012

@zhuanyi said: hostrail :)

+1 on this. This is if talking about VPS.

• PatsPats Member
    edited September 2012

@zhuanyi said: hostrail :)

quite happy with 1 word answer eh..?
    how long?
    experiences?
    reseller hosting/ shared hosting/vps/dedi..?
    :)

• connercgconnercg Member
    edited September 2012

SurpassHosting - cPanel Reseller Account in '03

Still have service with them on that same account, but I'm in the process of moving to Hostingation.

First VPS is XEN over a Secure Dragon.

Thanked by 1busbr
  • CheesymacCheesymac Member
    edited September 2012

Tie, I signed up for two LEBs at the same time, and still have them:
    Hostigation
    Secure Dragon

Good experiences for both.

• Oh yeah, excellent experiences...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

First web host (not counting AOL) was mymarkdown.com. They were new back then. First VPS was with 123systems.

• First VPS xygenhosting.com

• BurstNET. Completely terrible experience.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

First Shared Hosting - some Arab IIS web hosting thing, only for "selected" websites.

First VPS - HostRail, was awesome for me because it was the first VPS ever, I didn't care about speed or anything. Having said that I can't really remember, it was probably crap

First Dedicated Server - RazorServers, still have it to this date, very happy.

• @Pats said: quite happy with 1 word answer eh..?

-LOL, I think the rest of the response is unnecessary as everyone knew the story behind it :)

how long?
    -had it for 10 days, but actually logged in for may be 10 minutes?

experiences?
    - Refer to my response to the first question :)

reseller hosting/ shared hosting/vps/dedi..?
    - VPS, since we are on LET :)

@Damian said: BurstNET. Completely terrible experience.

I am still using them, even used them for production website. Unfortunetely I cant agree with you. For my 1 year with them - not a single outage on my node (there were some major packetloss, around 50%, 3 times so far, which ot resolved int imely manner), didn't have to contact their support even one single time and a great uptime of my node. I think I am just lucky, seeing how many people complain of them.

• Zymic, back in 2006

• chicagovps

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

First free hosting: FreeWebTown.com
    First paid shared hosting: webruimtehosting.nl (Dutch host)
    First VPS: RAMHost

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: I think I am just lucky, seeing how many people complain of them.

I'm actually starting to think we were on a bad node or something.

• FastVPS $12/year
    They were quite good for the first few months but I think they're deadpooled now...

• Geocities, Angelfire, Tripod

@Damian said: I'm actually starting to think we were on a bad node or something.

Yeah, this is an option as well. I really had only good experience with them so far. Event he last time I tested the IO speed it was well above 150MB/s. The network is over 500mbps as well.

• First free: Tripod.
    First free that wasn't awful: Panther Hosting, now defunct
    First VPS: BurstNET, quite good.

• My first shared hosting : Lovinghosting.com in 2004
    My first vps provider: NameCheap, they're still $25 or something at that time, providing XEN HyperVM with 256MB memory in 2004

• I just see no "Thank's" button now. Where it goes?

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • First shared: FreeHostingNoAds
    First VPS: Volumedrive (oh dear, good ol' Scranton)
    First Dedi: Kimsufi 2G (never used for anything, just a few file transfers/backups)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

HostGator for shared, reseller, VPS.

First dedi was HiVelocity. That lasted about one month...

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

First VPS: HostV/Citrex

Wasn't bad. I learned A LOT. :)

Dec 23, 2007 - April 2008

-m

• First VPS: WiredTree (A bit of a killer waste back then lol)

• @KuJoe said: First VPS: HostV/Citrex

Wasn't bad. I learned A LOT. :)

Exactly the same here - until they lost the data twice, and their R1Soft continuous backups were "broken".

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2012

I was at first using free hosts, then one payed for a game, back in the times when 10 MB space and 50 MB traffic were 10 $ or so, a huge amount for me back in the late nineties. I run out of traffic before the last stages of the game and had to pay 10 $ more...
    I dont remember, but it was an UK based host.
    My fisrt VPS was in Germany with some guys reselling hezner, terrible experience with "unmettered" 10 mb (huge at that time) I would have been happy with 1 but it wasnt even that...
    Many years after i was still looking for unmettered, but I gave up some 5 years ago. Since then I had my best experience with eNS (unmettered but just because was recommended by LEA) and didnt regret it a minute, until they went down (i still dont regret it, was worth all the pennies, just regret it ended...).

M

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

A few years back, Virtuozzo Containers vps with Eukhost - They charged £60/mo for what would be a £3.50/mo box here.

Used them for two years, the support and uptime was fucking awesome though. And great network. So worth it for my business.