Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is 1 vcore and 1024MB enough? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

is 1 vcore and 1024MB enough?

2»

Comments

• @Nekki said:
    Angling for thanks is never a good look.

I didn't say "press the thanks button at my post only" I just wanted to inform him as he's new and maybe didn't use Vanilla yet how to thank someone quickly.

• @nexusrain said:
    I didn't say "press the thanks button at my post only" I just wanted to inform him as he's new and maybe didn't use Vanilla yet how to thank someone quickly.

I'm yanking your crank.

• nexusrainnexusrain Member
    edited September 2015

@Nekki said:
    I'm yanking your crank.

I can live with that.

Edit: If I've got the dictionary right as I needed one for these words.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Thanks everyone!
    I managed to install the centos web panel, which is very very slow with 1GB.
    SMF seems to be working ok, but again very slow...
    Perhaps I need a better VPS

• Centos with centos web panel, is heavy on resources. If you like Centos as OS, maybe you should try something froxlor or vestacp as panel or, even better, if you have a bit knowledge of linux, virtualmin.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

Thanks, I'll try virtualmin!

• @Arkas said:
    Thanks, I'll try virtualmin!

Interworx is free for one website!

• Don't run a Control Panel, just set up the software manually. Lighttpd/PHP/MySQL, the configuration should be just fine.

Thanked by 3Profforg hostnoob Arkas
  • ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited September 2015

If you'll use control panel, it's hard to affect software configuration manually if it's not done via control panel's native features (really native, not file editing). Better not to use any control panels. Also centos better to replace with Debian.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

You could also take a vps offer that can be upgraded, so you will be able to upgrade ressources if needed.

• Ikoula said: You could also take a vps offer that can be upgraded, so you will be able to upgrade if needed.

any can do that, some even call them "cloud" (which is simply a marketing term)

• As @MarkTurner said, vCore means very little because it's shared. Do a few benchmarks at different times of the day if you want some reassurance.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2015

It depends of what kind of core it is (vcore is meaning nothing): the real question is how much cpu power are you having access, if the node aka the cpu is overcrowded, and what i/o wait you will face to that node, again depending on how overcrowded is.
    A well configured forum with 5k-7k unique visitors per day and/or 100 concurrent users on line (that is ~10 concurrent requests per second) is not a heavy duty for a server.
    If your VPS company is good enough and you don't sign up with a hoster that advertises "1GB memory 1 Core 100GB disk 1 ipv4 with 10$ per year" (signing up with a good company like Ramnode, InceptionHosting, DRServer, Prometeus etc.) would do fine. A GVH-like chippie company could lead to continuous crashes of the server, even iv you have access to 4 vcpu cores and 3GB memory...
    P.S. I host in @AnthonySmith 's Inception Hosting, a joomla 2.5 heavy site with 7-8K unique visitors per day, lot of php/html5/flash and pictures, that is going excellent on a 2GB RAM machine and 2vcpu cores. The load is always lower than 0.15-0.25 and the RAm is not exceeding 350-400MB, with Apache-MySQL-Php on it. Same site is working (tested) in a 1GB mem and 1 cpu vps, even if it was a little streched in the nightly backup/rsync/transfer jobs

Thanked by 1drserver