Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a VPS provider similar to BuyVM with Luxembourg location
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a VPS provider similar to BuyVM with Luxembourg location

FuslFusl Member
edited August 2015 in Providers

Hi everyone!

As the title says, I'm looking for a VPS provider with pricing similar to BuyVM in Luxembourg. Is there any alternative to BuyVM available?

Thanks in advance!

Thanked by 1J1021

Comments

• Uhm as far as I see the pricing from BuyVM is very similar to the one of BuyVM and they offer a Luxembourg location as well!

Why do you want an "alternative"?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@Fusl - what do you need?

• XeiXei Member

@nexusrain said:
    Why do you want an "alternative"?

Probably a non-ghetto network that doesn't lag daily randomly. Tried them for at least 7 months... staff is great and support is quick but it's the worst provider I've ever had when it comes to their network.

Thanked by 3J1021 tr1cky paily
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Xei said:
    Probably a non-ghetto network that doesn't lag daily randomly. Tried them for at least 7 months... staff is great and support is quick but it's the worst provider I've ever had when it comes to their network.

The LU DC has had some fairly nasty DDOS issues outside of what we get which causes some of the weird blips. Their BGP communities also take a tad bit longer to kick in for autonulls than I'd like.

With that being said, there's a bigger/better router on the way to LU that'll give us some room to ride out when that happens. The LU DC is also replacing all of their Cisco's with supposedly some massive Juniper deployment.

The Junipers were supposed to go in a couple months ago but supposedly they wanted to beef out something even more.

Fingers crossed, I've had some yelling matches with them because their DDOS monitoring has been pretty poor. They have a lot of tanking capacity (supposedly 300gbit or something), but they've had multiple 150Gbit+ floods over there so it isn't easy to ride. With that being said, I did send them a modified copy of our autonull that'll work with sflow/netflow.

Francisco

• Francisco said: They have a lot of tanking capacity (supposedly 300gbit or something)

I think its 80G to FRA, 80G to LON and 80G local (each 2x40G waves) - So not really much useable as protection (very splitted), though surely helps. Pain in the ass network design and management wise.

@Fusl server.lu offers VPS from 12EUR for 1GB RAM, 2GB SSD and 100Mbit flatrate on same network

• FuslFusl Member
    edited August 2015

@nexusrain said:
    Uhm as far as I see the pricing from BuyVM is very similar to the one of BuyVM and they offer a Luxembourg location as well!

I would use them but they apparently don't let me order. Order has been cancelled and refunded. Never had any issues with about 60 other VPS providers, BuyVM is the first one I had issues with and I honestly don't want to run my infrastructure on a shitty provider that doesn't let me order a new server though it's a legitimate order and whose support is highly unfriendly.

Something like "Yes, yes we do offer servers in Luxembourg but you can't order them because we don't like you."

William said: @Fusl server.lu offers VPS from 12EUR for 1GB RAM, 2GB SSD and 100Mbit flatrate on same network

Thanks, will use them for my infrastructure in Luxembourg.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • XeiXei Member
    edited August 2015

@Fusl said:
    I would use them but they apparently don't let me order. Order has been cancelled and refunded. Never had any issues with about 60 other VPS providers, BuyVM is the first one I had issues with and I honestly don't want to run my infrastructure on a shitty provider that doesn't let me order a new server though it's a legitimate order and whose support is highly unfriendly.

At least they gave you a refund. The .LU server was useless for me but I still wanted to give them another chance so I bought a second VPS (this time in the .US) as I wanted to migrate my data over because they for whatever reason can't or don't do that... in hindsight that was a bad idea. The only reason I even picked up the VPS with them was to support BuyVM cause I'm big on supporting current and prior top LET VPS providers and plus I had never been let down... well till I joined BuyVM. The fool me once, fool me twice saying applies here (it's the first time I've ever felt that way towards a VPS provider which is kind of sad). I at least gave them more than a fair chance but their networks are just crappy sadly, daily intermittent lag was my biggest issue. One time the VPS lost all of it's assigned IPs without ever having been restarted or touched... I ran into all kinds of shoddy things with BuyVM I'd never experienced anywhere else but they would at least resolve them instantly if you brought it to their attention -- aside the poor network performance / packet loss which was an ongoing thing. I really tried though... I would never recommend them to anyone just because every other provider I've been with was infinitely more usable. And I'm out $30 for servers I never was able to get any use out of because they were useless to me (I cancelled very recently, I had like 1 yr 5 months years of service left). It was a lesson learned at least -- of all the prior top providers BuyVM was the only one I was ever apprehensive to join because a plethora of negative past reviews -- but Francisco told me to give them a chance as things are different now and so I did. I will say Francisco is a very nice guy to deal with and support was always fast, but being nice sadly cannot make up for such a poor service.

edited August 2015

@Fusl - You should've got an automated email & ticket telling you what the issue with your payment was. If you didn't, could you please let me know so I can check what might be wrong with our WHMCS hooks? Either way, if you're still interested come by live chat or drop billing a ticket and we'll get you sorted.

@Xei - Honestly, I feel your issue is likely something on your end. The majority of our high paying managed users are in Luxembourg and if the location was 'completely dead/useless' they would be freaking out ticketing non stop. We have many corporations and such that have their mailservers there so they would let us know.

The only 'ips completely gone' issue we've had was an anycast ARP issue that happy early in the year, but that hasn't been a problem in LU since I made some additional changes to stallion to address it.

Don't get me wrong, the location hasn't been perfect, but we've been adjusting whatever we've needed as well as the DC is making improvements they need as well. With that being said, the issues mentioned weren't multi day ordeals, the longest was a couple hours due to router issue with the datacenter happening during a holiday for them.

There has been some outbound DDOS attacks from compromised containers, but, again, that gets caught fairly quick and we add localized rules for it.

Francisco

• LeeLee Veteran

Xei said: a non-ghetto network

That made me laugh..

• @Fusl said:

>

Made a similar experience (though I don't remember support being unfriendly, what was your actual rejection reason?). Rejected my order because account email != PayPal email. Tried to order in LU as well.

Take a look at exoticvps.com for more providers in LU (server.lu is in that list as well), but don't forget searching for reviews before ordering.

• FuslFusl Member

Francisco said: @Fusl - You should've got an automated email & ticket telling you what the issue with your payment was. If you didn't, could you please let me know so I can check what might be wrong with our WHMCS hooks? Either way, if you're still interested come by live chat or drop billing a ticket and we'll get you sorted.

The problem is that I'm sharing my account with @William because I know someone who had a bad experience with BuyVM already and as such I don't want to give out my personal information to such a company. His PayPal account got closed down due to whatever reason and he cannot use his Credit Card on BuyVM for some other reason (probably shitty payment gateway) so I decided to pay the invoice with my PayPal account, and guess what? We instantly received a reply on that order that it has been marked as fraud, because different PayPal account information and whatsoever... I then even fucking offered your god damn team that they can just send an email to my PayPal email address and I will reply that this is indeed a shared PayPal account, but you declined.

Francisco said: if you're still interested

The question is not if I'm still interested. The question here is if you allow me to pay my god damn services on his account with my PayPal account because you are the only VPS provider out of 50 other VPS providers I tried so far that handles different PayPal account information like that.

Thanked by 1J1021

Fusl said: The question is not if I'm still interested. The question here is if you allow me to pay my god damn services on his account with my PayPal account because you are the only VPS provider out of 50 other VPS providers I tried so far that handles different PayPal account information like that.

And of those 50, we're the only one that gets < 1 chargeback a month with the customer count we carry. The rules are like that and to be honest we have a far better track record with privacy, protecting customers, and dealing with govt. orgs than most on here. I've have long drawn out arguments with most 3 letter US organizations and most times they just back off.

Please try to understand that we get a ton of people that try to order with sketchy deals or with stolen account details just because of the Luxembourg location. I get no less than a dozen+ chats from people wanting to run sketch things out of there (botnets, booters, carding forums, etc) or they want to signup with completely sketchy things ("I promise man, this american lady said it's ok for me to pay with her credit card, lol").

You're going to have to either signup yourself, or have @william pay for you and you pay him. There's no way around that and no vouching @william can do will help, i'm sorry :(

Francisco

Thanked by 2HostMyBytes sambling
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2015

Francisco said: You're going to have to either signup yourself, or have @william pay for you and you pay him.

How? Your shitty stripe acquirer declines all my CCs - Both Austrian and foreign.

Further this DID work before - Older invoices WERE paid with another paypal account, that was NEVER an issue.

But eh, tells me to find another ISP - Clearly i was wrong to give an US/CA company another choice. Should've never done that and should've bought inside EU/Europe as usual. Not surprised.

William said: How? Your shitty stripe acquirer declines all my CCs - Both Austrian and foreign.

Acquirer? It's paypal webpayments pro. Stripes on the TODO list, I'm just having to fix some bugs that exist in the module.

If it's worked before then why not ask Aldryic for a hand? Do you have a ticket where he's been lashing out or are you just annoyed for other reasons?

Francisco

• No matter what you use - i thought it was stripe due to WHMCS integration - it continues to decline all my CCs as either invalid, over limit or fraud. Not helpful in any way.

Francisco said: If it's worked before then why not ask Aldryic for a hand? Do you have a ticket where he's been lashing out or are you just annoyed for other reasons?

You know exactly (and as do i) that this makes zero sense, he will never get rid off his position - Impossible.
    Check former payments on account [email protected] and you'll see half of them were not made by a PayPal accounts in my name (aka @Fusl). Was never a problem until now.

Thanked by 1J1021

@William said:
    No matter what you use - i thought it was stripe due to WHMCS integration - it continues to decline all my CCs as either invalid, over limit or fraud. Not helpful in any way.

Check former payments on account [email protected] and you'll see half of them were not made by a PayPal accounts in my name (aka Fusl). Was never a problem until now.

He's actually pretty damn reasonable about payments once you're verified. I won't go into detail but he's more than accommodating.

I doubt it's a problem with your card then and likely something on our end. Did you open a ticket and ask Aldryic to check the gateway log? Or no? If not, I'll talk to him and see what's up.

FYI, I think all of the WHMCS Stripe integrations these days use stripe.js, so it loads Stripe's overlay to accept the payment and then fires the callback. I know the paid module we have on Minerack does exactly that.

Francisco

• FuslFusl Member
    edited September 2015

Francisco said: ("I promise man, this american lady said it's ok for me to pay with her credit card, lol").

And what to do in such cases? Obviously not what you're doing, because you're doing it wrong. You should just check the email address of the PayPal account owner, write an email to them and ask them if it's ok for them for person XYZ using their PayPal account. That easy, you got it confirmed on both sides, what could go wrong now? Nothing! But you apparently just don't understand that. And because you don't understand that, I will pump my EUR 200,- per month into server.lu instead into BuyVM because you wanted it like that and not me.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • Fusl said: Thanks, will use them for my infrastructure in Luxembourg.

Did you get postage charges?

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • @Fusl said:
    And what to do in such cases? Obviously not what you're doing, because you're doing it wrong. You should just check the email address of the PayPal account owner, write an email to them and ask them if it's ok for them for person XYZ using their PayPal account. That easy, you got it confirmed on both sides, what could go wrong now? Nothing!

Of course, because that's 100% legit ◔_◔. If someone is using a hacked/stolen PP account, then odds are they have access to the email too.

edited September 2015

@telephone said:
    Of course, because that's 100% legit ◔_◔. If someone is using a hacked/stolen PP account, then odds are they have access to the email too.

The part that gets me is that @william knows our policies and Aldryic put in a fair bit of effort to trim down the TOS into a very straight forward bullet list. You can see it over at http://buyvm.net/terms-of-service/ - It's really slimmed down with a good chunk of it just being extra formatting to make it fit into the new site.

It's a tough one. I get @william's and @fusl's frustration, but we're also trying to protect ourselves here. I feel there's no reason for @william to be as angry as he is over the CC issue when it's probably just WebPayments Pro having another moment. He could've simply asked about it and we would've either looked into it, or given him an update about our Stripe plans (read: goes up tomorrow).

Instead, we got a very...stern tone over it thinking we banned/blocked him or something. If we didn't want him as a customer he wouldn't have been able to signup in the first place.

Aldryic sent him a reply and from there will get the CC issue sorted (and Stripe support added on Tuesday either way) and work something out with @fusl and @william if they're still interested.

Francisco

• I'm genuinely curious about this too, though. I've only been able to find BuyVM and server.lu but the latter is too expensive for me. Is there no one else worth considering?

• I paid by credit card.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • @telephone said:

Well, what prevents them from using the stolen email account too in order to register at BuyVM? That leads to the same result and even further! If ones email account is hacked, you can't find out if it's stolen/hacked or whatsoever until the person complains.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • belinikbelinik Member
    edited September 2015

being difficult on your case is their choice, rules and standard are being set for a reason. What you know works does not mean it fits their system.

Restrictions
    3,3,1 - Clients may not open multiple personal accounts under any circumstance.
    3,3,2 - Clients may not give other persons access to their accounts.

5,1,1 - PayPal payments must match the client's name on file. Third party payments are not permitted.
    5,2,1 - Credit/Debit Card payments must match the client's name and address on file. Third party payments are not permitted.

you are sure crossing so many of their ToS yet claiming buyvm is doing everything wrong, and i am sure if you opened a new account with buyvm, with YOUR INFO, assume no geo ip and fraud history you get your server thru. Why should buyvm be hosting you if you don't feel like giving them your info? Compare to other 50 other provider you used. And should buyvm go after @william if shit goes wrong?

I had my fair share of payment problem since i moved, using a Canadian cc/pp, on a jpn/china ip(also a good chance on FR due to an issue with bluevm). Every time i pay a new company i will trip on every system the host has in place, I have to go open a ticket and explain my case nicely.... for Buyvm Aldryic was very helpful on my issue. And since then new server order with different payment method is no problem, of course unless you have another person use your account.

• The solution is simple, open your own account with legit details. If you would trust a company with your data, surly trusting them with your details would not be an issue for a legit operation.

• FuslFusl Member
    edited September 2015

belinik said: being difficult on your case is their choice,

Well, it's after all their decision. They don't want my money, I now went with server.lu and gave them my money. Works perfectly fine, no issues there. Account registered under different name and location as the PayPal account.

belinik said: rules and standard are being set for a reason.

I do understnad that, indeed. But it just doesn't make any sense.

If, for example, I steal someones PayPal login information, but don't have access to their email account, it obviously makes sense that BuyVM's first step is to decline this order. But they should offer a way for the PayPal account owner to confirm that this is legitimate use. For the case that I (who stole the PayPal account information) don't have access to the email account, the real owner says "NO; THIS IS NOT A LEGITIMATE USE; I DIDN'T ORDER THIS." -> Problem solved; If I otherwise have access to the email account linked with that PayPal account I can write back "Yes, this is a legitimate order.". At this time, BuyVM still decides to not accept my order and refunds the money. Fine. I will now just continue registering a new BuyVM account with PayPal address, name, location, etc. matching the PayPal information. BuyVM now will never find out that this PayPal account is stolen. It just doesn't make any, fucking, sense.

TL;DR BuyVM's rules are shitty, unnecessary and can be circumvented.

BuyVM apparently doesn't understand and at this time I have to assume that they also don't understand what they're even doing.

PS:

What if I have critical infrastructure at BuyVM, my PayPal account gets closed for no apparent reason and my Credit Card doesn't get accepted by the payment processor. I am now having a server at BuyVM I'm not able to pay. For other providers I would just ask a friend of mine to pay the invoice for me, that wouldn't be an issue.

TL;DR TL;DR BuyVM's rules again... are shitty, unnecessary and can be circumvented.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2015

Fusl said: They don't want my money, I now went with server.lu and gave them my money. Works perfectly fine, no issues there.

I suspect they are more relieved than you.

Fusl said: What if I have critical infrastructure at BuyVM, my PayPal account gets closed for no apparent reason and my Credit Card doesn't get accepted by the payment processor.

Maybe if you were a reasonable, honest and up front client they would give you a bit of time to pay. If someone else paying was going to help you out then I also suspect they would consider letting them after a bit of DD on it, if you were a reasonable, honest and up front client.

Fusl said: But they should offer a way for the PayPal account owner to confirm that this is legitimate use.

Who actually does that? I know of no provider that would go to that trouble at order stage. Those desperate for the business might I suppose.

• In my experience with BuyVM, The address needs to match the card details since they have AVS ON with webpaymentspro. (address verification service) ... My card got declined because i used wrong address, used the correct one and it went through.

• buyvm has issues from day 1. Dont worry,its never their fault,its always the datacenter or separate issues out of their control. Go to http://ramnode.com instead for same price and better service by far.

Thanked by 2netomx Fusl

Lee said: I suspect they are more relieved than you.

I've said it once and i'll say it again, i'm fine going the distance to get people settled in, no matter how much (or little) they pay. I've put hours into getting completely newbie users setup with their buyshared plans and such.

The fraud module Aldryic wrote does a lot more than just compares some emails, there's far more to it to catch the usual case where the email address is also compromised (since that's how people usually get into someone elses paypal).

It isn't uncommon for webpayments to have undocumented maint windows and can't handle certain cards. There's random times every so often where our CN users can't pay with credit card then a few days later it's fine again.

As mentioned, Stripe's been in use on minerack for a few months now with the only complaints being that the module was buggy. That's fixed now so that'll go out just fine.

This case is pretty well solved at this point, there isn't much else to it.

Francisco