Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a difference between microsoft server downloads from the dreamspark programme?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a difference between microsoft server downloads from the dreamspark programme?

GM2015GM2015 Member

I've sneaked in and verified myself as a student on Microsoft (I'm one, yes, trolls) and wondering whether there's any point in downloading more than one copy of windows 08 and 12.

Is it not that your key determines the "capabilities" and "limits" of your server?

Comments

• I'm not sure as I've just downloaded it per 'spec' however yes the key is one time use and determines the limits/capabilities as far as I'm aware instead of the ISO. I've never compared their sizes though so that's just purely a guess.

• ISOs are ISOs.

• What do you mean by one time use? That it can't be used again on reinstallation for example?

HyperSpeed said: I'm not sure as I've just downloaded it per 'spec' however yes the key is one time use and determines the limits/capabilities as far as I'm aware instead of the ISO. I've never compared their sizes though so that's just purely a guess.

• Nah, doesn't really make sense, except if you want to have several ISOs with a different base language or architecture. Atleast in the past you were sometimes able to get multiple license key from the same product, you should give that a try. (Like Win8+Win8Debug+...)

• @GM2015 said:
    What do you mean by one time use? That it can't be used again on reinstallation for example?

You can reinstall on the same hardware, and sometimes phone activations will allow you to install on other h/w

• That's awesome. So I just can't easily use this iso on my next vps. My present standard 08 r2 copy is on a vultr trial server. When it runs out of credit, I'll dump it.

MikeSpears said: You can reinstall on the same hardware, and sometimes phone activations will allow you to install on other h/w