Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email Server

Hello guys ,

I own a company that have at least 4000 emails sent monthly from 10 to 15 email accounts , it's not bulk emails it's business emails .

I was also planning to get a windows server from reputable data center to use it as domain server to share files on it and connect all PCs at my office to that server .

What i'm asking for , can i have a server with windows installed , with 16 Gigs RAM and an i7 Proc. to use that server for both emails server and sharing files on server too ?

Thanks in advance ,

Comments

• elgselgs Member
    edited August 2015

Yes, sure you can. 4000 emails per month is not too many.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

No reason why you shouldn't be able to do it like you've described.

All though you could go for an external SMTP service such as mandrill or sendgrid, to be sure your emails reach their destination.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If you go the Microsoft route and looking at Microsoft Exchange it is against all recommendations to install Exchange on a Domain Controller.

It is also not cheap to do it for only 10-15 email accounts, I assume here that the 10-15 accounts are not aliases, only mailboxes. Is this correct?

Depending if you would like to have the Office software suite included it could be interesting to look at Office365 with Exchange online.

• i have better suggestion Go with windows vps with 4 GB RAM,And user licensed smartermail solution from that you can sent 4000 emails easily.For inbox delivery set domain key with rdns etc..

:)

• @vandy1285 said:
    i have better suggestion Go with windows vps with 4 GB RAM,And user licensed smartermail solution from that you can sent 4000 emails easily.For inbox delivery set domain key with rdns etc..

Good suggestions. I use SmarterMail and it's nice. On a cheap dedi or VPS it would work fine.

• When i use the SMTP , is it better than Google apps ? i pay 50$ on each email yearly and i want to decrease costs for 15 email and planing to upgrade to 20 / 25 mailbox . ??

• Use Yandex or Zoho, they're providing free mail for your domain as well.

Setting up a mailserver is too much work.
    Configuring, securing etc takes too much time. Too much to learn...

Does it worth it?

• Nomad said:

Setting up a mailserver is too much work.

Configuring, securing etc takes too much time. Too much to learn...

Not that much to learn and nowadays there are easy ways to set it up, like mailcow http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/58855/mailcow-a-complete-mail-server-suite/p1 or any free panel for webhosting that includes email management..

• @ben78 said:

Still, ready made solutions carry you till a certain point.

You should know how to set up DKIM, spf, domainkeys, Antivirus, greylisting, SpamAssassin etc. And when all are combined, there's too much to learn.

Or yeah, you can just copy paste and look at your screen blankly when something occurs.

• Nomad said: And when all are combined, there's too much to learn.

You're right.
    But with the pre made solution you have less control over your setup and no logs (did they setup greylisting? wha's going on with this mail that doesn't reach you? etc)