Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIPE is running out of IPv4 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RIPE is running out of IPv4

Comments

• @trololo said: What is ripe going to do against Hamachi because obviously that can't go on forever can it?

Agreed, they are using IPs which do not belong to them.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@trololo said: You know what problem i have atm? I have a root (Hetzner) and i am 1 of the unlucky guys who has to have the 5.x range IP. And guess what, many providers have still blocked this IP because Hamachi uses this range.

That's terrible. I had no idea that was an issue. Why would providers block this range? I admit very little interaction with Hamachi.

• @MrLabradoodle The problem is that our root provider doesn't give a shit they won't give us a new IP (newly ordered root) without demanding 100$. They say it's not our problem its Hamachi's and Ripe's. That really pisses me off.

• @trololo said: What is ripe going to do against Hamachi because obviously that can't go on forever can it?

I don't think they can do anything against Hamachi. However LogMeIn should really reconsider that and maybe move Hamachi to 10.0.0.0/8 or so.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited September 2012

@jarland said: That's terrible. I had no idea that was an issue. Why would providers block this range? I admit very little interaction with Hamachi.

Anyone who has Hamachi installed can't connect to 5...*

http://community.logmein.com/t5/Hamachi/Hamachi-and-the-5-0-0-0-8-netblock/td-p/55826

• @jarland indeed it is a big problem.. and since our visitors are mainly gamers the chance is very high that they have hamachi installed. The ips were blocked i think because they were just released this year (april).

edited September 2012

@MrLabradoodle said: Anyone who has Hamachi installed can't connect to 5...*

I thought he meant they were blocked by ISPs, but yeah I guess that could be quite a problem. I'd be quite upset with logmein.

• trololotrololo Member
    edited September 2012

@jarland we also had cases where people didn't have hamachi installed and still couldn't connect to the IP. There was no routing at all.

• @MrLabradoodle said: I agree, RIPE gave out /22's and /23's to individuals. My guess is that only 40% of the allocated IPs are actually being used.

Well, RIPE was never able to assign anything smaller than a /24 as PI.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited September 2012

@William said: Well, RIPE was never able to assign anything smaller than a /24 as PI.

Corrected, still don't see why a home would need anything other then anything more then a /28 or /27.

• TazTaz Member
    edited September 2012

@MrLabradoodle said: Corrected, still don't see why a home would need anything other then anything more then a /28 or /27

/29 would be more than enough for average home. Unless your fridge and coffee machine needs to have their own tweeter account.

• @MrLabradoodle said: Corrected, still don't see why a home would need anything other then anything more then a /28 or /27.

This was not for "home" users but for anyone having VALID JUSTIFICATION, even 10 years ago it was not possible to walk up to ripe and get a /24 because you simply wanted it.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2012

@trololo said: You know what problem i have atm? I have a root (Hetzner) and i am 1 of the unlucky guys who has to have the 5.x range IP. And guess what, many providers have still blocked this IP because Hamachi uses this range. Everyone who has Hamachi installed has no connection to our ip/domain. What is ripe going to do against Hamachi because obviously that can't go on forever can it?

I wouldn't worry too much, with LogMeIn's "screw the customer" attitude and their continued bastardization of what they want to charge people to use their crappy services, I do not imagine they will be around that much longer. I would suggest using Neorouter to anyone currently using Hamachi anyhow. Anyone who bowed down to LogMeIn and paid their ridiculous prices just to continue to have more than 5 users in a network is an idiot to being with. Not to mention, I would not be surprised if they eventually do away with their free services all together, even though they had promised users and the previous Hamachi owners they would never do this when they purchased Hamachi. (After my experiences with LogMeIn, I wouldn't use their products again if you paid me to.)

You do however have to realize that Hamachi is a VPN product, so Hetzner has no control over what they do. They would probably just suggest you turn off Hamachi, as without it running they should be able to reach your server. If there are provider blocking it, I would have said customer send their provider an e-mail explaining that they need it unblocked, might be a pain in the butt, but they have no reason to refuse this. I also would suggest to those who are still using Hamachi that are having issues contacting your server to quickly move to Neorouter ( http://www.neorouter.com ) and abandon Hamachi anyhow.

Good luck with figuring this out!

• @apollo15 said: Luckily got my /23 which should be enough for some time, thanks to @William <3

np :)

• @William Going to give some IPs back? That would be nice off you :P

• @Taylor said: @William Going to give some IPs back? That would be nice off you :P

He should share them instead :L, it's really hard to get ip's these days. the last lot i got took 2 weeks :(

• STOP, HAMMERTIME.

No, i won't give any IPs back, these are MINE
    BWAHAHAHAHA

• Yes, this is investment. It's like asking someone who bought a lot of gold 5 years ago to give it back now.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I guess it is about time to look more seriously at LIR asignment, 1-2 months back when I was looking into it, I thought I'd have enough time. Guess not so much. I can't figure if there are any mroe LIR's in here, except william@edis, who I already PMed.

• Alex, i am afraid you are too late for this now...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@prometeus is also LIR.
    But I guess he wont be sharing, everyone is hoarding :)
    The first reaction when a famine is in the cards is an acute hunger feeling...
    M

edited September 2012

@rds100 said: Alex, i am afraid you are too late for this now...

Oh, so it is late to even get small /23 or /24 allocated PI space?

@Maounique said: everyone is hoarding

Seems like the only smart move for those who can. Sad, but sometimes you're either the villain or the victim.

• Maybe there should be a show called "IP Address Hoarders".

No network would pick it up. :P

Thanked by 3jar Jacob Maounique
    edited September 2012

From what I know many ppl will get rich off those, for example BuyVM has tons, they were ready to give them away for 5 $ in a bundle just to allow ppl to run Tor.
    M

P.S.

@Shane_Elmore said: No network would pick it up. :P

Hahahhah !

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Oh, so it is late to even get small /23 or /24 allocated PI space?

Yes, it is too late. RIPE will issue no more PI after today. Yesterday was the last possibility.

@Maounique said: From what I know many ppl will get rich off those, for example BuyVM has tons, they were ready to give them away just to allow ppl to run Tor.

BuyVM might have tons... However this guy should be hanged http://i.imgur.com/d92Ed.png

Thanked by 1NanoG6

I think RIPE and ARIN will start clawing back some.
    The end is not so near, i think by clawing back and strictly enforcing the policy they can make them last a couple of years at least.
    M

• Arin still has 3 /8s left, they are OK for now. But i doubt reclaiming old unused address space would yield much. People are not willing to give it up.

• Once they force all those pharmacy and cosmetic businesses to give back their /8, Things gonna become more FUN!