Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anybody tried Cloud.net?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has anybody tried Cloud.net?

realbusinessrealbusiness Member
edited August 2015 in Providers

I looked at Cloud.net and quite liked the price for Softlayer SSD VPS

For $25

2.5gb Ram
40gb SSD
10tb BW

But when I go to Softlayer, their prices are more than double?

Cloud.net are selling a $5 plan for Softlayer which is:

512mb RAM
20gb SSD
2tb BW

But this plan doesn't even exist on Softlayer website?

Comments

• Cloud.net is part of the 'OnApp Federation'

Sounding like straight out of a futuristic sci-fi movie, it's actually a bunch of providers who have the OnApp infrastructure who set aside some of their boxes to rent directly via Cloud.net (an OnApp site)

In the beginning, prices were pretty funny, especially with Quadranet's Miami pricing being $7.50/mo for 500GB transfer per month. Based on absurd hourly values.

At the same time you have a couple of solid Softlayer locations at $5/month, and some newer interesting additions such as Host1 (Norway) and SeFlow (IT) at lower pricing.

Solid and trusted. Also has some DNS offering with anycast servers, have not tried that yet so far though.

Thanked by 1realbusiness
  • I may give their UK (Softlayer) a try since I have to cancel Vultr plans before the month is out.

Specs aren't bad at all either.

• jhjh Member
    edited August 2015

The network is the same but apart from that they're very different products. Softlayer's main IaaS services don't share memory or CPU, come with excellent support, a very powerful control panel, a very powerful (albeit badly documented) API, integration with the rest of their services etc. You don't get those things with Cloud.net.

Thanked by 1GStanley
  • I think a lot of people forget this when ordering IaaS (infrastructure as a service)

If you are to be needing your hand held, get actual Softlayer. If you just wanting Softlayer engine, use the Cloud.net

• I have been using the $5 UK server for about a year. So far, it has been top notch. The control panel is lacking in a few departments, but they are slowly improving it.

**9/18/2014**
    UK ~]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  2099.998 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 487 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1023 MB
    System uptime :   0 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 109MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 4.99MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 21.0MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.43MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 93.8MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 14.8MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 8.16MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 18.9MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 16.4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 30.4MB/s
    I/O speed :  558 MB/s

**8/26/2015**
    UK ~]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  2099.998 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 487 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1023 MB
    System uptime :   20:48,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 124MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 9.65MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 18.7MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.87MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 60.5MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 12.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.20MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 15.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 15.9MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 4.18MB/s
    I/O speed :  676 MB/s

• DylanDylan Member
    edited August 2015

I really wanted to like Cloud.net -- the instances themselves are very solid and it's hard to beat SoftLayer's network for $5 -- but their control panel is lacking some very basic features. You can't rebuild an instance, for example, so there's no way to reinstall or install a different OS and retain the same IP. It feels like they launched the service before the CP was finished.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Dylan wouldn't be the first thing they've done in that manner.

• Nice idea but list of locations will be better

• I'm trying out their Norway location (which is quite cheap actually...) and so far I'm quite satisfied. I do agree that the control panel is limited and the lack of IPv6 is a major downer. But a 512MB/20GB/50GB VPS in Norway for $3.26/month... Hard to beat.

• OnApp_TerryOnApp_Terry Member
    edited August 2015

@fitvpn said:
    Nice idea but list of locations will be better

You can see all the locations available in the Cloud.net marketplace at https://jager.cloud.net/search

• @OnApp_Terry I love your platform, but it's lacking two vital features for me.

1.) Native IPv6 networking.
    2.) Snapshots.

Do you have any plans to implement these features?

• OnApp_Terry said: You can see all the locations available in the Cloud.net marketplace

Only seen a lot of US/UK locations,that already overloaded all over internet. Which reason buy from you?

• SolusVMSolusVM Member, Host Rep

kcaj said: I love your platform, but it's lacking two vital features for me.

1.) Native IPv6 networking. 2.) Snapshots.

Do you have any plans to implement these features?

@NullMind

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@fitvpn said:

what locations would you want?

• ditlev said: what locations would you want?

Some exclusive offers, not seen all over internet

Exotic locations be fine :) Just wondering why Isle of Man offered for $25 per month where can order from EDIS from $8 for example..

• @fitvpn said:

Because it's a federation - so you are buying from OnApp cloud providers in those locations, with cloud.net brokering the implementation (in most cases)

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

the softlayer servers are now in the federation as well, at wholesale pricing for all OnApp federation buyers to sell...

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2015

Someone explain this a bit for me. How does the federation work exactly. Who is the controller, the person or company I complain to if things go wrong?

Thanked by 1bersy
  • @Lee said:
    Someone explain this a bit for me. How does the federation work exactly. Who is the controller, the person or company I complain to if things go wrong?

My understanding is that it's just like any other resellable service. As an end-user, you complain to whoever you're paying, and if needed they complain to the upstream.

• LeeLee Veteran

Ah ok, so this "federation" is just a middle person ( << gender etiquette).

If I buy a $5 VM that is listed as SoftLayer in the UK then from my account if I raise a ticket it goes to SoftLayer? Sounds unlikely.

• @Lee Tickets are dealt with by Cloud.net.

From a client perspective, this is no different than anybody else renting or colocating hardware with SoftLayer (or any other DC) and selling CTs/VMs off it.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

@kcaj - OK thanks, this is what I was looking for and suspected was the case.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited August 2015

Lee said: If I buy a $5 VM that is listed as SoftLayer in the UK then from my account if I raise a ticket it goes to SoftLayer? Sounds unlikely.

The federation's not exactly a middle person, but the set of pooled services that individual providers can resell. Cloud.net is effectively just a reseller that's run in-house by OnApp. You're paying them, so they provide your support. Other companies can resell the same services, and in that case you'd get support from them instead.

• LeeLee Veteran

Indeed, this was my point though, whether I was in effect buying from and had direct contact from the company providing the service or whether my contact was cloud.net, so that does therefore make it a purchase through a middle person if it's not direct.

But I get it now, this would therefore be how Seflow intends to expand their service locations, buy reselling say Softlayer in the UK, but in that case they will of course provide the support and what not.

Cool!

• @Lee said:

Not exactly, we work with a mix of own pops and federated pops. I mean, we start with a federated location, if that location grow well or we see good potential we develop our own hardware.

For example, take strasbourg, is owned and not federated and is cheaper as Milan, london and other locations are federated and price grow a bit.

Small differences for customers that can control all VMs from single control panel (OnAPP) and refer to us for support.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @mpkossen said:
    I'm trying out their Norway location (which is quite cheap actually...) and so far I'm quite satisfied. I do agree that the control panel is limited and the lack of IPv6 is a major downer. But a 512MB/20GB/50GB VPS in Norway for $3.26/month... Hard to beat.

Also wanted to give that a try and this far it's been pretty solid. But last month it looks like my vps took a step up to $6.89/month and then to $798/month. I might have missed it, but I can't remember any communication about that.

• @Aene said:
    Also wanted to give that a try and this far it's been pretty solid. But last month it looks like my vps took a step up to $6.89/month and then to $798/month. I might have missed it, but I can't remember any communication about that.

I cancelled it after the first unannounced price increase.