Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIPE is running out of IPv4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RIPE is running out of IPv4

rds100rds100 Member
edited September 2012 in General

To: [email protected]
Subject: [ncc-announce] RIPE NCC Begins to Allocate IPv4 Address Space From
the Last /8 Dear colleagues, On Friday, 14 September 2012, the RIPE NCC, the Regional Internet Registry
(RIR) for Europe, the Middle East and parts of Central Asia, distributed the
last blocks of IPv4 address space from the available pool. This means that we are now distributing IPv4 address space to Local Internet
Registries (LIRs) from the last /8 according to section 5.6 of "IPv4 Address
Allocation and Assignment Policies for the RIPE NCC Service Region". This section states that an LIR may receive one /22 allocation (1,024 IPv4
addresses), even if they can justify a larger allocation. This /22
allocation will only be made to LIRs if they have already received an IPv6
allocation from an upstream LIR or the RIPE NCC. No new IPv4 Provider
Independent (PI) space will be assigned. This policy can be found online at:
https://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-553 Those members with open requests for IPv4 address space will shortly receive
an email regarding the status of their requests. It is now imperative that all stakeholders deploy IPv6 on their networks to
ensure the continuity of their online operations and the future growth of
the Internet.

Comments

• World will collapse soon

Thanked by 124khost
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I blame the VPS market :P

• @serverian said: World will collapse soon

No, just the price of IPs will increase.
    And if there is a provider that hasn't started deploying ipv6 by now - they are a fool.

• ChiefChief Member
    edited September 2012

"It's the end of the world as we know it.... and I feel fine".... ;)

Thanks for the update!

Running out of IPv4 can only mean one thing, a greater push towards IPv6. As humans we will use something until it is nearly fully depleted, and instead of being pro-active we will be reactive. I'm wondering now if this leads to an increase in the cost of IPv4's and how long before that affects LEB providers.

@rds100 said: And if there is a provider that hasn't started deploying ipv6 by now - they are a fool.

I disagree, how do you know a provider who isn't deploying IPv6 doesn't have a massive stash of IPv4. I know of a handful of hosts that have mentioned along the lines of having enough IPv4 to last them another 3 years.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

@rds100 said: No, just the price of IPs will increase.

Well, then I better buy all the IPs I can get my hands on!

• How long until ARIN runs out, I wonder....

• Got enough for me, and enough for edis as well, and even more if needed :)

• @William said: Got enough for me, and enough for edis as well, and even more if needed :)

Mind sharing? ;)

• Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
    edited September 2012

@Victor said: Mind sharing? ;)

He bought all of them, causing RIPE to run out. Burn him!

edited September 2012

@rds100 said: And if there is a provider that hasn't started deploying ipv6 by now - they are a fool.

Not really, since deploying it really doesn't take that much time and still almost no one can use it. ISPs won't be in a hurry to deploy ipv6 until the shortage effects them, and we all know they're hoarding ipv4.

• This is because they previously assigned /24's to people like me to play around with, so it's their fault really.

Thanked by 2jar klikli
  • @Chief said: Running out of IPv4 can only mean one thing, a greater push towards IPv6

Hope so. But we all know ISP's will start using NAT more. to save on ip's

@jhadley said: This is because they previously assigned /24's to people like me to play around with, so it's their fault really.

And suddenly the whole world should have to adapt to their failures. I mean I support ipv6, but I'm not feeling very sorry for the idiots who gave them out like candy.

• @DanielM NAT could be problematic though, with some legal requirements for being able to identify who used IP X at time Y.

• jhjh Member
    edited September 2012

@jarland said: And suddenly the whole world should have to adapt to their failures. I mean I support ipv6, but I'm not feeling very sorry for the idiots who gave them out like candy.

In all seriousness I think the largest culprit in terms of actual waste is Google for preferring that linked sites are not the on the same IP, thereby creating the need for "SEO-hosting".

And I just picked up a new VPS for my stuff - £2.40/month per IP. Ouch!

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jarland said: And suddenly the whole world should have to adapt to their failures. I mean I support ipv6, but I'm not feeling very sorry for the idiots who gave them out like candy.

Well no one knew things would become that bad. People are giving out ipv6 like candy right now. In next 30-40-50 year, you grand kids might call us Idiot when they will have to adapt ipv8 (Oh GAWD!)

• @jhadley said: In all seriousness I think the largest culprit in terms of actual waste is Google for preferring that linked sites are not the on the same IP, thereby creating the need for "SEO-hosting".

And I just picked up a new VPS for my stuff - £2.40/month per IP. Ouch!

Exacto!
    Seo and Mail marketing (AKA Spamming).

• @rds100 said: NAT could be problematic though, with some legal requirements for being able to identify who used IP X at time Y

Not sure... But i know here certain mobile networks for example share the same ip to thousands if not hundreds of thousands of users. So it's certainly possible.

• @jarland said: And suddenly the whole world should have to adapt to their failures. I mean I support ipv6, but I'm not feeling very sorry for the idiots who gave them out like candy.

I agree, RIPE gave out /22's and /23's to individuals. My guess is that only 40% of the allocated IPs are actually being used.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @MrLabradoodle said: I agree, RIPE gave out /22's and /23's to individuals. My guess is that only 40% of the allocated IPs are actually being used.

If required, they can forcefully take em back per their Policy if not making mistakes.

• @MrLabradoodle said: I agree, RIPE gave out /22's and /23's to individuals. My guess is that only 40% of the allocated IPs are actually being used.

We had to request more than we needed, since IPv4 wasn't going to last forever, creating a cycle.

• It's not VPSs, it's those hoarders and telcom companies.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • @jhadley said: We had to request more than we needed, since IPv4 wasn't going to last forever, creating a cycle.

I ment to individual houses.

• @DanielM said: Not sure... But i know here certain mobile networks for example share the same ip to thousands if not hundreds of thousands of users. So it's certainly possible.

I bet they are logging all your connections then, and storing this information for at least a year.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

@rds100 Definitely longer, and they need to do bandwidth accounting anyway. You can connect a mobile to VPN or use VPN while tethered.

• Luckily got my /23 which should be enough for some time, thanks to @William <3

@rds100 said: I bet they are logging all your connections then, and storing this information for at least a year.

Don't tell @DanielM that, you know he'll set his mobile phone on fire and move :P

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • @jarland said: Don't tell @DanielM that, you know he'll set his mobile phone on fire and move :P

haha its not the logging i care about. its the fact they mess up all the images and the css on websites.. They claim to save you bandwidth

• trololotrololo Member
    edited September 2012

You know what problem i have atm? I have a root (Hetzner) and i am 1 of the unlucky guys who has to have the 5.x range IP. And guess what, many providers have still blocked this IP because Hamachi uses this range. Everyone who has Hamachi installed has no connection to our ip/domain. What is ripe going to do against Hamachi because obviously that can't go on forever can it?