Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NAS Drive? Nope This is better
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NAS Drive? Nope This is better

DanielMDanielM Member
edited September 2012 in General

Seen this?

http://pogoplug.com/family

$29 a Year. Gets you a free Pogoplug and 100GB Amazon Cloud storage.

What a bargain! and UK is included too!

Now for the question is it any good. Does anyone here have one?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

$99/year for 1TB is great, if it's trustworthy

• It's nice.
    Just if I can have that stuff :)
    Is it same with Raspberry?

• I'm tempted. Who uses this at home?

• @matt_securedspeed said: I'm tempted. Who uses this at home?

Me in about 2 weeks :D

• @DanielM said: Me in about 2 weeks :D

Okay... why not. The device alone is worth that. I'm joining the party :)

Thanked by 1DanielM
  • Hm, can these be hacked to run a normal linux? Debian?

• @William said: Hm, can these be hacked to run a normal linux? Debian?

yep looks like

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I run Arch Linux on my PogoPlug. http://archlinuxarm.org/

Thanked by 1matt_securedspeed
  • So how do you attach additional hard drives/storage to this device?
    How much does it come included with the device?

• Use the USB ports and 100gb but that's amazon cloudstorage

• @DanielM just one USB port? secondly how much space it comes preshipped with? 1TB?

edited September 2012

The PogoPlug itself does not have any internal storage (besides the few MB to host the original OS). I am using a USB stick for the Arch Linux OS but bought a external hard drive for when I move the PogoPlug into our cabinet.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited September 2012

Apparently you can get an even better deal if you buy it at CNET (newer PogoPlug) but they just ship to the US :(

• Which one is better? the CNET one or the other one.

• According to CNET the CNET one

• @gsrdgrdghd said: According to CNET the CNET one

Can it be flashed?

• This sounds rather interesting. 29 bucks including 100GB offsite AND a Pogoplug Classic is a steal... and The Netherlands are included too, it's a miracle! (usually US only).
    Why is there an option to buy it without the device? Just for those who live outside the Free Offer countries or are there seriously people around who don't want a free Pogoplug Classic?

Does anyone know how long does this offer last? And also, what if I later decide I need more space? I am pretty sure I can upgrade, but will I get this at the same discounted price?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Of course, romania is not included.
    M

• Free Device Offer available in: U.S., UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Austria, Luxembourg, and Switzerland

No love for us Asians </3

• Looks like its exclusively for the west west.

• Hmm i wonder if it is even legal to discriminate customers from different EU countries...

• I have one, I got it on a similar deal a couple of months back but I paid $20 + $10 shipping for the device plus the 'family' subscription. It didn't come with 100GB of space though! Just 5GB which was standard at the time.

The device is OK, but in practice it's often not great. I have a couple of drives attached to it, one of which is a 4 bay RAID device. I can't stream videos from it to my Mac reliably at all. I'm not sure why it doesn't work. I guess the performance just isn't up to it.

It's shame because it works well for other things. It's like having your own unlimited dropbox. I can log in from anywhere and even give friends links to files/folders. The software will even mount the drives you have attached as local disks, so I have my two drives mounted on my work PC remotely and can transfer files as if the disks were local to my machine.

• @rds100 said: Hmm i wonder if it is even legal to discriminate customers from different EU countries...

They are not a EU/UK company.

There is probably a reason why.

• The CNET one is US only.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@MrLabradoodle said: They are not a EU/UK company

In the times NCSOFT had an european branch i couldnt pay my subscription online, needed to buy time cards which were hard to find here.
    I opened a ticket with them to remove the "fraud suspicion" and after 6 months, my card has been manually approved (after being a loyal customer for a couple of years already). It was just in time that it expired and I asked them to approve another one, it took a few months of ping-pong between departments and in the end they said it is not possible, I have to revert the old card which was expired for a long time then. I was then buying time cards online from chinese that were cheaper than those in my shop (very rare) AND online subscription+anonymity.
    The reasons i heard hundreds of times from them (I just didnt quit, every week or so i had some bogus reply and i was again replying) is that i have to quit using proxies (never done that), to ask my bank why the card is rejected (the bank said they never received a request to withdraw funds in the first place), try to use another card (I did and had the same result with 2 other cards), they would simply not confess romania is blacklisted. This continued after 2007 too, had this game with them for 3 more years, no matter if i was happier with the tc from china, i didnt want to quit and see how far would they go, in the end they introduced paypal and that worked with the same card that they were rejecting and even with bogus identities.
    After 2009 or so the eu branch was closed down, so there was no more motivation not to admit romania was blacklisted, yet they continued to feed me lies about proxies and banks and cards rejected when they were not even trying.
    So, if the company is determined, they will never give you the real reason, they will list eu if they are here and reject some countries without giving the real reason which shields them from fines and such. The ones outside EU have no issues unless they have an EU branch.
    M

• Can one actually do anything useful with those things? If i buy one it will probably end up like a LEB that i bought just because it was cheap :/

• @MrLabradoodle said: Which one is better? the CNET one or the other one.

I think there the same.except CNET are getting commission

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Can one actually do anything useful with those things? If i buy one it will probably end up like a LEB that i bought just because it was cheap :/

So, I am not the only one!

@gsrdgrdghd said: Can one actually do anything useful with those things? If i buy one it will probably end up like a LEB that i bought just because it was cheap :/

I use mine for a monitoring server. It monitoring a few hundred IP addresses every minute and sends me an e-mail if one of them goes up or down. Less than 20w of power and works great for what I need it for. I'll be colocating it on a different network in the same cabinet as our nodes for even better monitoring.