Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can i offer vps through vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can i offer vps through vps?

HostMayoHostMayo Member, Host Rep

I am getting vps for 5% per month from serverhub. I know I can offer reseller accounts through this but can I also offer vps through my vps?

Comments

• BG32BG32 Member

depends, if its windows its a NO

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

No. If you want to sell vps either get a vps reseller account, resource bundle package, or dedicated server

• You can, but host VPS must be KVM or Xen (no OpenVZ), provider needs to allow it and the performance of the VPS on a VPS may be kinda meh.

• yep I think this is what @anthonysmith does with LES in Japan/Australia?

The host VPS can't be OpenVZ though

• I'm sure we remember what happens with OpenVZ and QEMU...

• HostMayoHostMayo Member, Host Rep

@Awmusic12635 The nexusrain is saying that it's achievable through baremetal servers i.e KVM. What are you views on that?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Waqass said: The nexusrain is saying that it's achievable through baremetal servers i.e KVM. What are you views on that?

I should have worded my post differently. It's possible, however you likely won't get super great performance unless the resources are dedicated to you. Having a dedicated server gets you much more control and the ability to not be affected by others on the node.

Personally If I knew a host was selling virtual servers inside of another hosts (minus something like LES) I probably wouldn't buy it.

In addition some providers don't allow nested virtualization.

• @hostnoob said:
    yep I think this is what anthonysmith does with LES in Japan/Australia?

The host VPS can't be OpenVZ though

Technically it could. Qemu?

• It is possible to do that yes, some host actually offer it as far as performance depends on what host you go with, If you have dedicated resources then its totally possible.

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Technically it could. Qemu?

Doesn't that offer awful performance though?

• FlamesRunner said: I'm sure we remember what happens with OpenVZ and QEMU...

What?

• @hostnoob said:

But it works. Technically.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

Theoretically, yes. Actually, some providers on here do this. It is a technique called slabbing, where larger hardware nodes are split into a few KVM VPSs, each treated as their own hardware nodes. This allows for a few more VPSs to be stored on a single hardware node.

Thanked by 1HostMayo
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Don't do it.

Thanked by 1angrysnarl
  • sinsin Member

Just get a cheap dedicated server and put VPSes on that

• This will not be good though you can. dedicated resource need to do this.

• roykemroykem Member
    edited August 2015

How to know when a vps hosted inside another vps?

• jhjh Member

With the technology, it's possible. With your knowledge level, I don't recommend it.

Virtualisation is very complex. Being able to sign up for a SolusVM-type service and run the installer command is far from everything you need to offer a stable/useful service.

Thanked by 1HostMyBytes
  • elgselgs Member
    edited August 2015

@jhadley said:
    With the technology, it's possible. With your knowledge level, I don't recommend it.

Virtualisation is very complex. Being able to sign up for a SolusVM-type service and run the installer command is far from everything you need to offer a stable/useful service.

Right, it's far, but it's definitely the right starting point.

Technically it's possible, when you install SolusVM, Proxmox in your VMWare/Parallels, you actually did it. But if you want to do a serious business, you still need dedicated servers.

• Well its possible. Last year I found some tutorial on how to do this. If you need it send me PM :)

• @roykem said:
    How to know when a vps hosted inside another vps?

1 KB/second IO speeds.

• Yeah... Just get a cheap dedi.

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited August 2015

@PeopleSuggestedHimToGetADediInstead
    He asked "can he" not "should he".

Summary:

Can you? Yes.

Should you? No.

• This reminds of Inception the movie :) & then @AnthonySmith 's Inception Hosting (of course only because of the coincidence)

• virtualizor's cloud account allows you to sell VPS. there's even a WHMCS module to automate it.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@raza19 said:
    This reminds of Inception the movie :) & then AnthonySmith 's Inception Hosting (of course only because of the coincidence)

Server within a server, dream within a dream, it's no coincidence:)

• HostMayoHostMayo Member, Host Rep

lolz may be in if you go into server within a server the space and time extends ;)....well I have concluded that I should buy a cheap dedicated server better than getting a vps and selling further vpses through it.

• @Waqass said:
    lolz may be in if you go into server within a server the space and time extends ;)....well I have concluded that I should buy a cheap dedicated server better than getting a vps and selling further vpses through it.

I am not sure what your definition of "cheap" dedicated server is but if you plan to use it for hosting VMs for others on it then your server must have at least the following specifications:

1) Intel Xeon 12xx v2/v3

2) 32 GB DDR2/DDR3 ECC RAM

3) 4 x 1 TB HDD/ 4 x 500 GB SSDs in RAID 10

4) Preferably IPMI/KVMoIP access

And decent support which can take of any issues which may arise quickly at least during business hours.