Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SFBA co-location sought or offered
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SFBA co-location sought or offered

Despite being warned of the difficulties of VPS hosting in a previous thread, I've crunched some numbers and I think I can make a sufficient ROI on VPS hosting to make it worthwhile.

I am now looking for (cheap) co-location in or around SFBA, maybe around 10U to start.

Does anyone have any recommendations (or, even actual U available to rent out?).

If not, I may be looking to get a full cabinet, most probably from HE which appears to be the cheapest data center in this area.

In which case, does anyone want to rent from me to share costs?

Btw, for either of these possibilities, I am a real programmer w/ 10+ years of experience in network software, not just a computer nerd. I do know the basics of managing a LAN so you can trust me to keep accidents to a minimum.

If interested, comment (or message for confidentiality).

Comments

• Please email me at michael(at)frixelsolutions(dot)com - I think we can help you with this :)

• singsing said: If not, I may be looking to get a full cabinet, most probably from HE which appears to be the cheapest data center in this area.

Singlehomed HE BW is a pretty bad idea.

• SF is expensive, we have space in SF but Santa Clara is a lot cheaper. PM me with your power/bandwidth and space requirements and I'll get you some costs.

• William said: Singlehomed HE BW is a pretty bad idea.

Would appreciate if you have anything more specific to add. I've heard of day-long power outages at HE's data centers, so it's clear that they don't have a stellar operational record. But that's just something I'll have to live with until I have a few clients. Do you have any specific beef with HE's bandwith?

If I go that route, I will of course be looking into adding network redundancy as soon as I have sufficient customer income to pay for it (I don't mind putting some capital into equipment, but I need to at least make back the recurring costs before I can think of adding network redundancy).

MarkTurner said: PM me with your power/bandwidth and space requirements and I'll get you some costs.

Will do.

frixelsolutions said: Please email me at michael(at)frixelsolutions(dot)com - I think we can help you with this :)

Please advise if you have space in a real data center. Whatever your uptime may be in your own facility, it's a harder sale to make to clients if the VPS is not even in a real data center.

• singsing said: Do you have any specific beef with HE's bandwith?

It is simply not good singlehomed - Routes that go via their Asian leg are pretty oversubscribed, EU network lacks larger important peers (DTAG, UPC) which means it is backhauled to US often, no IPv6 route to Cogent, Telia interconnections sometimes overloaded...

Cogent plus HE are a solid mix, either of them singlehomed is generally frowned upon.

• William said: Cogent plus HE are a solid mix, either of them singlehomed is generally frowned upon.

Now that's solid intel! Thanks!