Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colo in Sydney
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colo in Sydney

Any 1U colo in Sydney at a reasonably cheap price?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• ATHKATHK Member

Cloudshards?

Thanked by 1Shivam
  • bohdansbohdans Member
    edited August 2015

I have a rack in my shed, 1.5KVA UPS and NBN? ;)

• @bohdans said:

Perfect ;)

• ATHKATHK Member

Could try asking @Oliver aswell

• Define resonably? Power and space is very expensive in Sydney, and AC is pretty much required 9-10 months per year.

BW is also extremely expensive in AU, don't expect anything below 10$/Mbit.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited August 2015

@William said:
    Define resonably? Power and space is very expensive in Sydney, and AC is pretty much required 9-10 months per year.

BW is also extremely expensive in AU, don't expect anything below 10$/Mbit.

Well I can get 1RU/1A for $125 in Sydney with 500GB BW. I know exactly how expensive it can be, hence why I said reasonable. Reasonable for Sydney :)

Also, AC is required for 12 months of the year. The only times it might not be required are early mornings in winter.

• That's $116 USD, and I'm not a fan of CloudShards, sorry :(

• You won't find anything cheaper than that.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited August 2015

Is this for the successful PHP-as-a-Service brand NoCommando?

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @William said:
    You won't find anything cheaper than that.

Alright, thanks :)

• Mitchfizz05Mitchfizz05 Member
    edited August 2015

@bohdans said:

I got a 3Mbps ADSL1 line with power that goes out when the heater and kettle is ran at the same time. :)

Gotta love Australia. :P

Thanked by 3ATHK bohdans 0xdragon
  • Mitchfizz05 said: with power that goes out when the heater and kettle is ran at the same time. :)

eh, not unusual, if i turn on our stove and the AC runs our home rack overloads the main power and kills the entire floor with 5 flats.... welcome to Austria, Building is 190 years old...

Thanked by 2Mitchfizz05 k0nsl
  • @William said:

How many UPS do you have running in your place? If I owned my flat I'd love to get a tesla power wall or something similar.

• One small one (like 3000W @ 1hour). It kills the 16A circuit it runs on randomly when we lose power, not always, but randomly. New rack design should prevent that by spreading load better.

Problem in our (aka @William and @Fusl) flat is the low general amperage - Our main circuit breaker/fuse is only 40A which is easily maxed out by a 15-16A (3520W) AC, 10A (2200W) rack/servers/ups and 15A (3300W) stove (total 40-41A 220V or 8800W+). The fuse cabinet itself has more than 200A (44kW+) available (like 250mm3 alu uplink on 3 phases, enough for a medium sized DC and the building itself has according to the landlord 2000A+/440kW available) but it ain't cabled from there to our rooms (old cabling, easily 20y+, but not lead anymore, already more recent copper).

• @William, I live in Toronto, where the hydro reliability is decent, but not great. Power surges are common, so generators aren't too rare. I have one in a shed in my back yard, powering my small rack and pretty much everything else, but I try to stay below the maximum so there will still be a surplus powering the batteries there. I feel bad for you @William, but the old, faulty copper wiring underground feeding the house isn't much better - random surges causes the breaker's automatic safety trigger to activate, causing the house to lose power feed from the grid randomly :/

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

You are running a 15A AC? Wtf?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2015

AlexBarakov said: You are running a 15A AC? Wtf?

It's not a split unit, so not extremely efficient - It's one of these with a tube you put out of your window. Cooling power is like 4500W. We probably get a split unit by the landlord next year though.

Last weeks we had 35-40C daily so it was/is running permanently to shove it to ~25 at night and ~28 on day in 2 rooms (bedroom and office)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@William said:

I see. The AC in the office outputs 3.6KW for cooling and consumes 0.95KWH.
    Generally happy with it.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2015

@William

Wait, what are you using to cool your servers anyway (4.5KW just for cooling is quite high)? Just plain A/C or water?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2015

Nothing, the rack runs by itself in an open area, the AC is only for our office/bedroom. Temps vary but are in okish areas (45-50C/server) in summer.