Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest VPS?

Hello guys!

I want to ask you hear about what is the cheapest VPS provider you see nowadays? (NOT SCAM) 5 USD or less :)?

Thanks.

Comments

• time4vps.eu 0,66/month paid biennially.

• Dollarvz, les

• Be careful with super cheap server deals, specially if they ask you to pay anually, probably they will be deadpooled before your paid period expires.
    Considering the price tags on the LEB market, I think its worth to spend one or two bucks more and get a server from a reliable company.

Thanked by 1angrysnarl
  • miklos said: 5 USD or less

Per month or year ?

• miklosmiklos Member
    edited August 2015

@rahulks said:
    Per month or year ?

month

• SadySady Member

@miklos said:
    month

You can't go wrong with neither digitalocean nor vultr.
    Else there are RAMNode, BuyVM & others quality providers which are lies under your budget. And not to forget Quadranet's cheapest package is something $5.xx as well :)

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@miklos,

Free from VPSBit! :D

But in all seriousness, everyone on LET does cheap VPS, many of which are below $5 /m. Some are stupidly low even.

Fancy competing at the bottom end of the market?

• There's more <$5/mth VPS's than I can count, absolute cheapest I've seen, beside "free" would probably be the LES boxes.

Hell there's even been dedicated servers cropping up at <$5.

Umcookies said: Hell there's even been dedicated servers cropping up at <$5.

I'll never understand a dedi at that price. The electricity alone must cost more than that.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

martinandrino said: Be careful with super cheap server deals, specially if they ask you to pay anually, probably they will be deadpooled before your paid period expires.

Unless you will do your homework and research company with whom you are dealing with. Price is not indicator of company reliability or service quality nowadays. This has been proven many times by many reputable budget service providers.

Thanked by 1faulwurf

time4vps said: Price is not indicator of company reliability or service quality

Indeed. Plenty of expensive hosts that are really quite poor.

• randvegeta said: The electricity alone must cost more than that.

Depends, newer Atom chipsets have a TDP of ~5W - The Octcore C2750 has a TDP of 20W and delivers around 4000 Cpubenchmark points (roughly half of a 60W i7, so around 15% more efficient). For 5$ you'll likely only get a D525 (15W), D425 (10W), Via Nano (5-10W) or similar.

1 Amp 120V power (~120W) in Mid-west USA (like, Ohio, or whatever is there - not much idea about US geography) seems to cost around 15$ (according to offers at WHT) after UPS/AC (kinda insane, same amount in EU costs easily x5 that) - Means 25W (10W CPU, 5W RAM, 8W SSD/HDD, 2W other stuff) cost the ISP 3.2$, if we assume 50% load it goes down to 1.6$. Space is cheap there (likely converted warehouse/factory in most cases) and AC is negligible at 25W (same for UPS, even a cheap in-rack one would power a rack full of 25W atoms (back to back/twin per U = 80 servers or ~2kW) for at least 30min).

Not much profit to be made but it ain't a loss case either, just very low margin - Works on scale of OVH, mainly due to cheap energy and space deals.

@William,

That's crazy low pricing. I am not familiar with US electricity costs, but in HK, UK and Lithuania, it's damn expensive, and there is no way you can run a server that cheap.

Let's not forget air conditioning, which I usually estimate at 100% of equipment power. Which may be unnecessary in cold climates, but totally necessary in hot climates.

• Maybe we'll soon see atom x5/x7 based dedi @ 2W.

• randvegeta said: That's crazy low pricing. I am not familiar with US electricity costs, but in HK, UK and Lithuania, it's damn expensive, and there is no way you can run a server that cheap.

Lithuania was pretty cheap before when the NPP did still run and they were net exporter (plus the plant was debt free as it was built by the Soviets and the post-Soviet gov(s) just ignored all debts to Russia, pretty logical if you say they occupied you) - Now they area a heavy net-importer without money (or the right geography) to build useful power plants (no large mountains for dams, no geothermal sources, no oil, negligible coal amounts...) so pricing is one of the higher ones in Europe... Nuclear power would be a solution (Uranium is pretty damn cheap per ton and there is shitloads in countries like Namibia and South Africa) but a new NPP (regardless of design) costs in the range of 5-10 BILLION dollars (per block!) (with Russian tech on the cheaper side which the EU will probably not allow, officially for safety but inofficially it is very clear that they want to support companies like Siemens and the Frenchies) - At a GDP of only 45bil EUR (50 bil USD, 2013) they can't get a loan of 20bil (nobody would finance that, repayment plan would be something like 150 years) and can't finance it themself either.

HK is a different story with the very restricted space (lol where to build NPP, on the water? Or wait 20 years for another few km^2 reclaimed land?) and (IIRC, pretty sure) is a net importer of (likely subsidized by Beijing and Guangzhou) energy - Shenzhen uses a lot of power and is not far, plus with no other countries in between (unlike i.e. parts of Malaysia/ID) power cabling is easy to lay.

UK.... no real excuse, they have space and money.

• There are quite a number of providers which were featured in lowendbox though, that you may choose and select. I also agree that price is not the sole indicator of a company reliability or service quality. The point is that, you may need to do research based on your requirements and budgets. These will reveal the information which you would need for your decision making :)