Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtualizing Dedicated server into a VPS with full resources
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtualizing Dedicated server into a VPS with full resources

ServerServer Member

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a dedicated server and virtualize it to one large VPS with full resources in order to save cost on cPanel license.

I've considered to use XenServer, however after looking through the installation guide (http://support.citrix.com/servlet/KbServlet/download/38322-102-714672/XenServer-6.5.0_Installation Guide.pdf), I am still clueless about setting up XenServer on the dedicated server.

Is it true that I must have XenCenter installed on my computer to 'Control' XenServer on the dedicated server?

How do I install 'XenServer' on my server as the 3 installations methods mentioned are: 'From a CD, Set up a network-accessible TFTP server to boot using PXE, Install XenServer to a remote disk on a SAN to enable boot from SAN', I suppose I require the assistance of the dedicated server provider since I do not have access to the hardware physically?

Are there any comprehensive guides on XenServer virtualization or recommendation on other free virtualization softwares which are easy to deal with for personal usage?

Thanks

Comments

• Install proxmox use a KVM. Best choice

• If you have no experience in installing or using XenServer, your want to use something with an easier to use web front end, either Proxmox or another "Open Source" Panel.

XenServer is powerful and gives you lots of options and configuration, however requires knowledge in how to setup and manage ongoing, and troubleshoot further issues.

Which may effect the uptime of your VM in the future, also is it really worth the extra overhead of management of a VM enviornment to save a couple of $$?

• nothing wrong with just using openvz for this. OpenVZ Web Panel is easy to setup and install, then create one big VM

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited August 2015

Don't bother with any control panels, just download CentOS 6 template then follow https://openvz.org/Basic_operations_in_OpenVZ_environment and https://openvz.org/User_Guide/Operations_on_Containers

vzctl set xxx --cpulimit 0 --save
    Run vzcpucheck, and take the power of the node and set as:
    vzctl set xxx --cpuunits 100000 --save

Thanked by 1XiNiX
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

You will have overhead from the virtualization. You want the extra hassle to save $15/month?

Virtualizing has other benefits if you want to take advantage. Potential for easier backups, migration/upgrades and addition of failover in cloud environment.

• agonyztagonyzt Member
    edited August 2015

Debian 8/CentOS 7: systemd-nspawn. No custom kernel required, no overhead. Been running this for a while now to keep my hosts clean and to isolate processes. It's an alternative (still under dev) to both lxc/lxd and docker.

• not a recommendation but ...

replace the Kernel with VZ Kernel without installing a container

• @Server said:
    Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a dedicated server and virtualize it to one large VPS with full resources in order to save cost on cPanel license.

I've considered to use XenServer, however after looking through the installation guide (http://support.citrix.com/servlet/KbServlet/download/38322-102-714672/XenServer-6.5.0_Installation Guide.pdf), I am still clueless about setting up XenServer on the dedicated server.

Is it true that I must have XenCenter installed on my computer to 'Control' XenServer on the dedicated server?

How do I install 'XenServer' on my server as the 3 installations methods mentioned are: 'From a CD, Set up a network-accessible TFTP server to boot using PXE, Install XenServer to a remote disk on a SAN to enable boot from SAN', I suppose I require the assistance of the dedicated server provider since I do not have access to the hardware physically?

Are there any comprehensive guides on XenServer virtualization or recommendation on other free virtualization softwares which are easy to deal with for personal usage?

Thanks

Why not just buy a managed dedicated server and let your host do it for you?

• @JLPHOST said:
    Why not just buy a managed dedicated server and let your host do it for you?

In case you haven't read the OP thoroughly, the reason I'm seeking to virtualize a dedicated server is to reduce the cost of cPanel license. Why would I want to pay more for a managed dedicated server? I might as well use an unmanaged server with cPanel dedicated license and it will still be much cheaper.

@randvegeta said:
    You will have overhead from the virtualization. You want the extra hassle to save $15/month?

Virtualizing has other benefits if you want to take advantage. Potential for easier backups, migration/upgrades and addition of failover in cloud environment.

Since it's for private usage I don't mind having the extra hassle in the short run in exchange for a long term savings in cost. Besides that, I have also learnt about the advantages of virtualizing and this may be a good opportunity for me to explore them.

@Bruce said:
    nothing wrong with just using openvz for this. OpenVZ Web Panel is easy to setup and install, then create one big VM
    @linuxthefish said:
    Don't bother with any control panels, just download CentOS 6 template then follow https://openvz.org/Basic_operations_in_OpenVZ_environment and https://openvz.org/User_Guide/Operations_on_Containers

vzctl set xxx --cpulimit 0 --save
    Run vzcpucheck, and take the power of the node and set as:
    vzctl set xxx --cpuunits 100000 --save

It seems like OpenVZ Web Panel is the easiest to do what I need.

I will need at least 2 IP addresses for Virtualization right? (1 for the OpenVZ Web Panel and 1 for the Virtualized server)

Are there any special requirements in selecting dedicated servers for virtualizing? I know some providers have limitations such as Kimsufi which only allows 1 IP address per server, thus it is not possible to virtualize the server.

Thanks

• Server said: Are there any special requirements in selecting dedicated servers for virtualizing? I know some providers have limitations such as Kimsufi which only allows 1 IP address per server, thus it is not possible to virtualize the server.

If you are going to use openVZ then you only need one IP and NAT. Any hardware will do.

• I haven't tried, but you might be able to use IPv6 for the server and keep the IPv4 for the VPS. owp isn't actively maintained, so there's a good chance v6 isn't supported unfortunately

I don't have any servers using owp now, so I can't easily test some ideas.

• If the Dedi is only for private use, meaning you will be the sole Admin operator to create/edit/delete sites and DBs, I seriously suggest NOT doing any virtualization and installing Free VestaCP with PHP 5.6 + MariaDB 10.x.

It is more feasible, absolutely light and a breeze to control your functions. I do it on my all my servers.

However it may not be the best option security and functionality wise in a multi-tenant environment if you want to re-sell cPanel hosting (which I presume you don't).

• @Server said:
    Thanks

Some host manage for free ............. which was actually what I was getting too.

• elgselgs Member

Interesting idea. Try Proxmox, you cannot go wrong with Proxmox.

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

actually your first choice of xenserver is one of the best because of features and ease of use

you will need mainly to ask your server provider to install it for you, or if they give you ipmi access with virtual media redirection you can mount the iso through the ipmi and install remotely

the install process is just like any linux install process

after installing you will need to install xencenter in your laptop to manage the xenserver if you prefer to manage it through GUI or you can simply use the xe command to manage it from the server itself

read about passthrough feature which you will need it in your case
    the idea is that you can pass the disk, gpu and even the network card directly to the vm so the vm will access those devices directly

that mean you will have 0 overhead for the vm since the vm is accessing most of the devices directly just like dedicated server (once you pass a device to 1 vm you cant use it in other vms simultaneously )

the stability, performance and the ease of use of xencenter is worth the try

Thanks

• @JLPHOST said:
    Some host manage for free ............. which was actually what I was getting too.

Host that manage your server for 'free' usually includes the server management fees in the server price which will add-up to more than the cost of an unmanaged server with cPanel dedicated license. I have not came across any 'free' managed servers that are comparable in terms of price to unmanaged servers given the same specifications.

If not, I would like to know those hosts which offer managed dedicated servers at 'low end' price.

@mehargags said:
    If the Dedi is only for private use, meaning you will be the sole Admin operator to create/edit/delete sites and DBs, I seriously suggest NOT doing any virtualization and installing Free VestaCP with PHP 5.6 + MariaDB 10.x.

It is more feasible, absolutely light and a breeze to control your functions. I do it on my all my servers.

However it may not be the best option security and functionality wise in a multi-tenant environment if you want to re-sell cPanel hosting (which I presume you don't).

I have read on some vulnerabilities about VestaCP's backup system but I'm not sure if it's fixed or are there any other vulnerabilities present. However, the last update was more than a year ago which makes it a little worrying.

Do you happen to know about other vulnerabilities present in VestaCP and is it really safe to run them for private usage?

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2015

@Server said:

E3-1240v3

16GB RAM

1TB HDD or 120GB SSD

/29 IPv4

Internal cPanel vps license

OpenVZ raw kernel based install and setup

$75/mo

If interested please let me know.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

randvegeta said: You will have overhead from the virtualization. You want the extra hassle to save $15/month?

In my experience, the overhead of a single OvZ container on a server is negligible, to the point of unmeasurable.

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited August 2015

@Server said:
    Do you happen to know about other vulnerabilities present in VestaCP and is it really safe to run them for private usage?

Yes I'm aware of them... and I "did" categorically say if it is a Single Admin Environment. Many of those Vulnerabilities can be taken care of by small tweaks yourself, and vestaCP is great at accepting system-wide customization...It doesn't break on them. Basic Security, obscurity and optimization practices apply for VestaCP as with any out of the box server(s).
    Also the latest revision to its version (though minor) was June-2015, however the team isn't consistent on releasing versions/updates timely.

Version 0.9.8-14

... Fixed security bug #HTB23261 (OS Command Injection) Thanks to High-Tech Bridge Security Research Fixed security bug #CVE-2015-2861 (CSRF vulnerability) Thanks to Ben Khlifa Fahmi from Tunisian Whitehat Security and CERT(R) Coordination Center Fixed security bug #VST26329 (Password hijacking) Thanks to Sergey Martynov ...

No software is perfect, even cPanel/WHM, but yes its more commercially oriented and actively developed/patched to be able to hold reseller features, hence recommended for a multi-tenant multi-admin environment.

I definitely do not recommend Vesta if you want to resell Hosting, but you can seriously give it a try for privately administered webserver to control all aspects of it very efficiently... it is a great panel whatsoever which shall gain maturity in due course of time.