Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Wildcard SSL Certificate - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Wildcard SSL Certificate

124»

Comments

• @dragon2611 said:
    I probably wouldn't use it for an E-commerce site or say WHMCS (Or whatever equivalent people run) but it's great for things like owncloud and various webapps.

Yep, for non-commercial or private stuff it's fine.

@rm_ said:
    You could have chosen to receive the Chinese version of the certificate, then it would say "CA 沃通免费SSL证书 G2" :) Still says "free", but now in Chinese, so not plainly obvious. I chose this option, to me this way it looks unusual, more interesting and perhaps even carries a certain charm (in the past I learned a kanji or two, albeit for Japanese). However I don't use this to secure an eCommerce website, just my hobby one.

That looks pretty strange in my opinion, like "Certificate made in China" (what's correct and nothing wrong with this in this case but you know, the "Made in China" Stuff :) ). But how I already wrote to dragon2611, for non-commercial stuff it doesn't matter much because it's something special as itself that such a site got a SSL.

• kamalkamal Member
    edited August 2015

letsencrypt will change everything..

• ben78ben78 Member
    edited August 2015

pr0be said: Wosing.com is offering free wilcard domain-validated domains

Nice, thanks!

Is there something to select to get a wilcard certificate or are all certificate wilcard ones? I don't see the option on their website...

If they give away wilcard certs for all free certs then do you know what's their business model? I mean startssl give free ssl for one year and one subdomain and you have to pay if you want more but if you get 3 years free wilcard then what more would you buy? :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2015

ben78 said: Wosing.com is offering free wilcard domain-validated domains

ben78 said: Is there something to select to get a wilcard certificate or are all certificate wilcard ones?

WoSign certificates are not wildcard, @pr0be is wrong (and was already corrected back on August 8... http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1207303/#Comment_1207303 )

Thanked by 1ben78
  • ben78ben78 Member
    edited August 2015

rm_ said: WoSign certificates are not wildcard, @pr0be is wrong (and was already corrected back on August 8... http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1207303/#Comment_1207303 )

Ok, thanks - did miss this message! So if I understood well, it's basically the same as StartSSL but with 3 years duration rather than one but without the ability to choose another subdomain than www.

• I want a SSL certificate for *.co.uk

• cassa said: I want a SSL certificate for *.co.uk

https://buy.wosign.com/free/ supports .co.uk as far as I can tell

edited August 2015

ben78 said: it's basically the same as StartSSL but with 3 years duration rather than one but without the ability to choose another subdomain than www.

Sigh, try to read already. WoSign supports 100 arbitrary domains/subdomains in one cert, StartSSL supports 1 domain + 1 subdomain in one cert.

• ReeRee Member

Spent 20 minutes validating domains with WoSign, only to get a 504 Gateway timeout when submitting the order...

Waited a bit and tried again (using "Website control verification"+wget the second time around...much quicker than waiting for email delivery!), and the order went through the second time. About 2 hours later, I got an email saying the cert was ready.

Any idea if I need to validate each domain all over again if I want to add a new domain in the future?

Thanked by 1mcharga3000
  • Yes, you need to do it again.

Ree said: Any idea if I need to validate each domain all over again if I want to add a new domain in the future?

Yes, or as mentioned earlier in the thread just get a cert for that one new domain, and then use SNI to determine which cert to send.

• ReeRee Member

Yeah I saw that suggestion, but the main reason I went to WoSign was to avoid SNI, which I was using previously and I was tired of saying "use Firefox or Chrome" when those diehard XP+IE users complained about my sites.

It's free, so I can't complain too much about having to re-validate. Definitely got easier once I switched to using the website validation instead of email validation, so I highly recommend that for anyone else who'll be validating in bulk.

• Gunter said: Spammers aren't even trying these days.

Honestly this made me laugh... :)
    But now his comment link is immortalized through the quote feature. Quick! Edit it to redact the link

• rm_ said: Sigh, try to read already. WoSign supports 100 arbitrary domains/subdomains in one cert, StartSSL supports 1 domain + 1 subdomain in one cert.

Well, did read it but haven't been able yet to create something with another subdomain than www or with several subdomains.

Could someone tell me how to do that? (Or point me to the right post is it's already explained somewhere!)

Thanks a lot!

• @nexusrain said:
    pr0be The question isn't only the price, everyone can do his / her own SSLs, the question is how many browsers accept it.

If talking about the wildcard cheap price and browser compatibility then go with alphassl wildcard certificate http://www.cheapsslcouponcode.com/store/alphassl.com Price is lowest compared to others as well as provide 99% browser compatibility.

• @scotwhite said:
    Price us lowest compared to others

Uhm, what it HostMyBytes.com then? 5$/y for AlphaSSL Wildcard?

Got 2 Standard AlphaSSL in the meantime, they're working fine. Didn't find a browser yet which doesn't like them.

• ReeRee Member
    edited August 2015

@ben78 said:
    Well, did read it but haven't been able yet to create something with another subdomain than www or with several subdomains.

>

Could someone tell me how to do that? (Or point me to the right post is it's already explained somewhere!)

What have you tried? I just entered stuff like this into the Doman name: box and it worked fine.

domain1.com

domain2.com

www.domain2.com

asdf.domain2.com

jkl.domain2.com

domain3.com

www.domain3.com

etc...

(It'll say you don't need to add www.domain1.com, but presumably you need to for all the others)

And if by multiple subdomains you mean something like www.asdf.jkl.domain3.com ? I didn't try anything like that, but the validator doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

Thanked by 1ben78
  • MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited August 2015

Traffic said: Android (older devices)

I would like to correct you regarding Android SNI support.
    There is an Apache library which is somewhat widely used in applications. The library doesn't have SNI support which is causing certificate issues when using Cloudflare SSL and other SNI SSL certificates.

Fortunately, HttpsURLConnection supports SNI since Android 2.3. Unfortunately, Apache HTTP Client does not, which is one of the many reasons we discourage its use. One workaround if you need to support Android 2.2 (and older) or Apache HTTP Client is to set up an alternative virtual host on a unique port so that it's unambiguous which server certificate to return.

https://developer.android.com/training/articles/security-ssl.html

Here's a widely used library which uses Apache HTTP client and I doubt it is the only one.

https://github.com/loopj/android-async-http

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • Ree said: What have you tried? I just entered stuff like this into the Doman name: box and it worked fine.

domain1.com

domain2.com
    www.domain2.com
    asdf.domain2.com
    jkl.domain2.com
    domain3.com
    www.domain3.com
    etc...

(It'll say you don't need to add www.domain1.com, but presumably you need to for all the others)

Thanks, tried the same and it works fine. Very nice. Thank you :)

• scotwhitescotwhite Member
    edited August 2015

@nexusrain said:
    Uhm, what it HostMyBytes.com then? 5$/y for AlphaSSL Wildcard?

True.

• @HostmyBytes Its not possible to buy more than 1yr?

• Make me become very currious of @HostMyBytes SSL... why it's so cheap compared with others. Tempted me to buy one.. haha...

• @emilv Currently one year is the only purchasing option

@Wira_Soenaryo Go ahead and grab one. We're often able to issue them within an hour, and you can pass them on to your clients. Pricing, however, is liable to change, as this is merely an introductory price.

• No more 5$/y at hostmybytes? It's showing as 8.99$/y now..

• It looks like HMB is now reselling RapidSSL's @ $109.99/yr.

• My previous SSL provider had no support. I switch to SSL2BUY and not only do I get real support but I also get better pricing as well. I bought Wildcard SSL certificate at just $42 for a year. https://www.ssl2buy.com/wildcard-ssl-certificate/

• dj1812 said: My previous SSL provider had no support spammer

hey spammer how are you?

• For real, who needs SSL support?

• @rokok said:
    For real, who needs SSL support?

It is phased out already...

• HarryBannaHarryBanna Member
    edited March 2018

dicks offer cheapest dicks certificate in the market. Wildcard dicks starts from just $dicks per year

This discussion has been closed.