Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leaseweb asked for an initial deposit of EUR 1000
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Leaseweb asked for an initial deposit of EUR 1000

I have already sent my ID verification, is it legit? Do you have experience with Leaseweb?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Ask for a sales manager to call you and explain, that is the only way you will get anywhere with leaseweb.

Thanked by 1Archie
  • I first received a phone call from leaseweb department and they asked me for ID verification then I sent it, after that they asked for cc verification and deposit

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

All you can do is ask why and complain, although leaseweb being leaseweb it probably will not get you far.

Thanked by 2KwiceroLTD netomx
  • They are legit, what are you going to order? Bare Metal Servers with long term contact?

or just virtual server?

• @rokok said:
    They are legit, what are you going to order? Bare Metal Servers with long term contact?

Just virtual server

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited August 2015

€1000 deposit for a VPS??

Wow, I assumed you were talking about colo or something.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

Yes, they do ask this deposit from high risk countries and China is one of them

• LeaseWeb is sometimes a bit bureaucratic and slow to respond, but they are also very professional and reasonable. I will recommend that you give them a call and try to figure out why they want the deposit.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @hostnoob said:
    €1000 deposit for a VPS??

Wow, I assumed you were talking about colo or something.

With €1000, think of the amount IPv4s that you could hoard..... it's time to rule the world :)

• I would rather buy vps at GVH than to deposite 1k euros AFTER verifying my ID at leaseweb.

Thanked by 2geekalot netomx
  • Oh come on, it's only 17 years worth of their smallest VPS. It's not like they asked you to pay 100 years in advance...

• @DalComp said:
    Oh come on, it's only 17 years worth of their smallest VPS. It's not like they asked you to pay 100 years in advance...

Well, if you use the 40% off code and pay tri-annually, you can get 40 years of service for €1000. And maybe even more if you choose US DC and convert €1000 into USD.

Thanked by 1lostinwoods
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

cfgguy said: Yes, they do ask this deposit from high risk countries and China is one of them

This. They don't want the risk to have you as a 3€/month customer.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

@doghouch said:
    With €1000, think of the amount IPv4s that you could hoard..... it's time to rule the world :)

Not even that many
    You can buy a ~/24 with that on RIPE

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Zappie said:
    You can buy a ~/24 with that on RIPE

Not really, prices are at most a third of that.

• Maounique said: Not really, prices are at most a third of that.

eh? Where do you buy a /24 at 300EUR one time? I usually sell /24s at 14EUR+ per IP and have zero issues getting buyers....

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Right, wrong math, sorry, I have a headache. Anyway, for a buyer, in the case of a uniform commodity, the price is the lowest he can find someone to sell at. That is above 10 Eur now, true, but there are people selling for less than 14.

• I ordered their service and was asked for deposit of EUR 1000 as well. However, only customers from a part of country need to do this. My homeland is one of these. I tend to treat this as they purposely make difficulties for customers from special countries. Thus, i will never consider their service! Not because i can not afford for deposit of EUR 1000. What i need is respect and fair treatment. I know lots of chinese buy vps around the world and the most thing they do is to install shadowsocks which has similar functions with VPN.
    I guess you know why they have to do with these. Besides, i do not think the percentage of abuser in china is higher than others countries. Thus, i really don't understand why leaseweb has such rule. whatever they are going to do, there is no connection with me. In my view, leaseweb is always a small company i can ignore.

In addition, if what i said offend you, i am apologized to you and i do not want to argue with anyone.

• so.. when would you get back the deposit?

• Yep I'm from China, is this can be defined as discrimination?

• It's sad as it is (or used to be) a really nice company and they have a pretty good network...

• @Archie said:
    Yep I'm from China, is this can be defined as discrimination?

More like unhealthy precaution.

• gabriellgabriell Member
    edited August 2015

@Archie said:
    Yep I'm from China, is this can be defined as discrimination?

Is it necessary, i will never use their service in any case.

• jhjh Member

It's nothing to do with the cost of the server - it's to do with the cost of dealing with abuse.

If you don't like it, take your business elsewhere. As a UK customer, I'm happy that they scrutinise Chinese business to protect their network. Our site is completely blocked from China and about 15 other countries because it's just not worth the bandwidth.

Thanked by 3boernd marrco Lee
  • @jhadley said:
    It's nothing to do with the cost of the server - it's to do with the cost of dealing with abuse.

If you don't like it, take your business elsewhere. As a UK customer, I'm happy that they scrutinise Chinese business to protect their network. Our site is completely blocked from China and about 15 other countries because it's just not worth the bandwidth.

You have no evidence to say there are more chinese people tend to abuse their service. In other word, we live in the dfferent society. We do not know each other well. It is possible that we have misunderstand to others. However, as a famous, leaseweb can not make this rule with any extra interpretation.

• gabriell said: You have no evidence to say there are more chinese people tend to abuse their service

uh, by pure numbers - Yes, there are more. Simply because there are more people in China than in any other country.

gabriell said: However, as a famous, leaseweb can not make this rule with any extra interpretation.

Sure? Leaseweb has no obligation to deal with Chinese people and can outright decline any Chinese order without any reason - The ONLY people they can't decline without a good reason are EU citizens (which are entitled to the same treatment as NL citizens).

OVH is a prime example, they for a very long time did not accept any signups outside the EU and only via the specific local country websites - They also declined some EU countries but this was later redacted by a french court.

• We ARE Chinese, but we are paying for abusers who ARE from China too...

lol, if some company declines to offer services to Chinese, I will not use them, and will spread this on Chinese forums to make more Chinese away from these ****.

Thanked by 1rokok
  • XIAOSpider97 said: lol, if some company declines to offer services to Chinese, I will not use them, and will spread this on Chinese forums to make more Chinese away from these ****.

And? They aren't accepting orders from China anyway? It's actually less work for them if you spread the word and less Chinese people try to sign up.

• @gabriell said:
    You have no evidence to say there are more chinese people tend to abuse their service.

Maybe our country's "abuser rate" is not high, but you need to remember our huge population, which means a LARGE amount of abusers though the rate may be low.

• @William said:

It might be more appropriate to use word "percentage" instead of mounts of people.
    For "leaseweb can not make this rule with any extra interpretation." It is my mistake. Actually i mean i can not understand that. I buy their service before and they do not displayed any more information about initial deposit for special customers like me. It is possible to find this rule in their TOS. However, i think it is more suitable for they to display it on a conspicuous place as people pay for their service.

As a pure chinese, can you try to understand what i am thinking when i was asked for extra deposit. If you can not, you'd better to ignore all my words because i do not want to argue with anyone.