Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datacenter IPv6 providing less than /64 per dedicated server - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datacenter IPv6 providing less than /64 per dedicated server

2»

Comments

• BruceBruce Member
    edited August 2015

THIS article is good reading on the subject

typical usage:

the case for ISPs:

nowhere does it suggest it's a good idea to issue anything longer than a /64. although "end site" is never defined, this article does mention a low bandwith PDA should still be issued with a /64. So I think it's reasonable to apply this to VPS

interesting that nowhere, that I can find, refers to the hosting business at all, in regard to IPv6 allocation for servers, VPS, websites, etc.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited August 2015

@nexusrain said:
    That's something completely else. And I already revoked my first comment.

Thanks for revoking. However IMHO they are quite similar. In a IPv4 NAT environment you share IP address with someone else. Technically there are ~65535 ports (what a waste) to be shared with your neighbors. When your neighbor did something wrong and got blacklisted, sued, etc, you are affected as well.

The same applies to IPv6, where a /64 is consider a single organization / entity / group / person. So if you share the "18.446.744.073.709.551.616" addresses with someone else, and they do something wrong, you are affected as well.

OVH, who assign you a /128 address, will also reserve the whole rest of the /64 for you. This solves 2 problems, (1) you are assigned only a /128, so no "waste" (/sarcasm), (2) you don't share the subnet with anyone else.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2015

msg7086 said: (1) you are assigned only a /128, so no "waste" (/s), (2) you don't share the subnet with anyone else.

Even if accepting your silly "waste" argument, how is there no waste, if the whole /64 is allocated to you? And then you're told you can't use it, and of course nobody else can. This is worse than waste, marking IPs as occupied but then forbidding anyone to use them. (Actually of course you can).

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited August 2015

@rm_ said:

Note /s (Just fixed it so people won't miss it)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

msg7086 said: (Just fixed it so people won't miss it)

Okay, now is a bit clearer, but it still doesn't make any sense, even in a sarcastic manner.

• So leaseweb answered and they refused to issue a new range since:

"I already have a range assigned and I didn't ask for that from the start, IPv6 is provided for free so they won't do it after this time period (since I requested them) has passed."

At this point I hope some other customer gets my /64 blacklisted somewhere since I am pretty sure (without having re checked their TOS) that they have to provide clean IPs and see how they fix it.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Nihim said: that they have to provide clean IPs

Yes, it will be clean at provisioning, if it gets dirty, you are guilty too, terminated, no refund.

• @Maounique said:

That would be wrong and illegal, since I can't be held responsible for what another customer does with his own dedicated server, their fault for splitting a /64 over multiple different customers.

@Nihim said:
    That would be wrong and illegal, since I can't be held responsible for what another customer does with his own dedicated server, their fault for splitting a /64 over multiple different customers.

Agreed, but you cannot prove that and even if you could, would you go to another country/state and sue them for 50 bucks? Doubtful.

• zedzed Member

If I don't get a full /64 (or /48, circumstances), I'm going to assume there are probably other things networking they are also clueless about.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • It's not about the amount of IPs but about being blocked by providers who adhere to standards and think of one /64 as one individual.

4n0nx said: who adhere to standards

That is why standards are there, so everyone adheres to them, if they do not adhere, should suffer the consequences.

• Yea I have some friends that are from NL and are also customers of leaseweb, I 'll get them to call leaseweb and ask for the same thing. Usually on phone they are more "level headed".

I shall name it the "IPv6 Crusade" !! (sorry I am kind tired and could't resist)...