Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Verizon fios conmection to providers.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Verizon fios conmection to providers.

edited August 2015 in General

For people who have verizon fios can you tell me what your connections are like to various server providers, vps hosts. Etc.

I understand a lot if things may be different including location factors, maxed out nodes and CO's but it will give me an idea of what to expect. I'll have a choice of fios 300/300 or charter 60mbps for my apartment I'm moving in to.

Thanks

Comments

• blackblack Member
    edited August 2015

I had a friend that used TWC and switched over to Verizon FIOS, he's pretty happy with it.

• sinsin Member

I love my Verizon FIOS connection (I'm near Washington DC). I've had it for a couple of years now and have never experienced any issues.

• Justin417Justin417 Member, Host Rep

I currently have Verizon FiOS and would suggest it in a heartbeat. The service itself is pretty solid, at least in my area, in the 2 years I have had verizon service I have never had an outage.

As for routing, I get good connection to MaximumVPS and VPS Soldiers, and most are under 15 Hops away if not less.

Plus the upload speed is fantastic, I have yet to find another provider that will give you the same upload speed as download (most of the time, with Charter for example, you can get good download but the upload will be AWFUL... usually 5 Mbps awful...)

Here are some traceroutes, first to VPS Soldiers (Dacentec Network):

Next up, Maximum VPS (Quadranet Network):

All in all if you have the option DEFINITELY go with FiOS, you won't regret it.

• UrDNUrDN Member

All the traffic goes through a transit network, no peering. I have less hops joining those hosts from Ukraine. Poor American, you can't even have access to the Internet pretty much in the country where it used to be implemented first.

• Justin417Justin417 Member, Host Rep

@UrDN said:
    All the traffic goes through a transit network, no peering. I have less hops joining those hosts from Ukraine. Poor American, you can't even have access to the Internet pretty much in the country where it used to be implemented first.

Coulden't agree more... internet service in America is pretty awful all around.

• edited August 2015

Still I think fios might be the best option I have right now. I know its not always the best but it's what I got for now...

• I'm waiting for the Fios to cover our community.

• Price wise it could be a little cheaper, but it compares to the other service providers in the area. We were one of the first people to sign up for Fios when it came to my area, and we haven't looked back since.

• Lucky souls. In Canada (specifically Toronto, the biggest city in Ontario), we barely have FTTH (fiber to the home) :(

Take a look at "http://bell.ca/internet" and compare it to Verizon FIOS plans. Want to know about the best part? In their terms, it states that Bell Canada cannot guarantee speeds on the DSL line. *sniff sniff

• FIOS network is pretty bad at peak times - Especially to Cogent and HE. No peering at all, EU providers without Telia will be pretty bad as well.

Price wise pretty cheap.

• FiOS to OVH just plain sucks....cant get more than 800kbp/s on a 150mbit line...

Move over to my charter 65mbit cable line and BAMN maxed out download....

Seriously FiOS sucks to OVH no matter the time of day.... -.-

• cmsjr123 said: FiOS to OVH just plain sucks....cant get more than 800kbp/s on a 150mbit line...

If you want to run some tests with us then happy to send you some test links.

• Quickpacket has been slow lately on Verizon FIOS. I blame Verizon because both Cogent and NTT routes are really slow to them. It has gotten really bad lately, 30KBps-100KBps. Could anyone test quickpacket right now and verify that it's a global issue and not them throttling me.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I would go with Fios and its a no brainer.

• @camjac251 said:
    Quickpacket has been slow lately on Verizon FIOS. I blame Verizon because both Cogent and NTT routes are really slow to them. It has gotten really bad lately, 30KBps-100KBps. Could anyone test quickpacket right now and verify that it's a global issue and not them throttling me.

Do you have a test download I could use?