Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostress gives up GVH Clients
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostress gives up GVH Clients

I cant say as it comes as much of a surprise, and I know a lot of people out there fully expected this some time ago so yeah... I've included the e-mail for those people here that haven't seen it.

Dear Valued Customer,

We regret to inform our GVH customers that we can no longer serve you. The model that the previous company had was not profitable and we can no longer float the debt. At this time the servers are defaulted with our provider and will not be renewed. As a courtesy our provider has given the customers of GVH a 30 day time frame to move their data to a new provider. We unfortunately will not be issueing service creditds or refunds
Hudson Valley Host will be acquiring the dedicated server clients. These clients will receive new client area logins at Hudson Valley Host. Pricing will not change for them.
Hudson Valley Host also would like to extend an offer to the OpenVZ VPS customers. They are offering 55% off for LIFE on any self-managed VPS account or shared hosting account. You can use coupon code: gvh5515. Unfortunately Hudson Valley Host cannot honor the current offerings that GVH did prior and will not be absorbing the VPS and shared customers. If you would like to signup and use the provided coupon you can view their website at http://www.HudsonValleyHost.com.

The current servers will remain online until 9/18/2015. At this time the servers will be taken offline and the data will be purged.

This email only applies to prior GVH customers and the equipment from GVH. This does not apply to previous Hostress customers. Their services will remain online. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank You,
Hostress

Comments

• Ha.

• Thanked by 1niknar1900
  • heh, how unexpected with ho stress.

• Amusing. Do they have a "we can terminate your service at any time of our choosing" in their ToS? Can't be bothered looking, it just seems shaky from a legal PoV that they're just ditching customers like that.

Thanked by 1lbft
  • LeeLee Veteran

So much for knowing what he was getting into and was not going to... What's the point..

• zedzed Member

stupid hostress! this would have been way funnier if it happened under gvh_duke!

Thanked by 1Corey
  • more refugees! not sure there's many who will offer rescue deals for them though

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

What a surprise hostess lied again....

Thanked by 3ATHK TarZZ92 KwiceroLTD
  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited August 2015

SNetworks1 said: They are offering 55% off for LIFE on any self-managed VPS account or shared hosting account. You can use coupon code: gvh5515.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/57237/hvh-50-off-recurring-on-openvz-and-windows-kvm-vps-40-m-atom-2758-8gb-ram-250gb-hdd#latest

They usually give 50% off, no need to be a war refugee.

• SNetworks1 said: The current servers will remain online until 9/18/2015.

I can't believe my server actually stayed online for the whole year, i expected it to go down within a few months.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • J1021J1021 Member
    edited August 2015

zed said: stupid hostress! this would have been way funnier if it happened under gvh_duke!

The way I see it: Duke got himself into a hole that was only going downwards and passed the buck to some other fool when reality smacked him and his wife in the face.

This Thomas kid seems to be holding his hands up on the situation.

Thanked by 3ATHK netomx KwiceroLTD
  • DillybobDillybob Member
    edited August 2015

As we all know, these hosts are all puppets powered by Chris for marketing. What these hosts announce are all stuff that they rehearsed plenty of months prior. Nothing new here, all are a bunch of cancer.

• LicensecartLicensecart Member
    edited August 2015

Took them how long to realize they can't make money from the GVH mess… that's why if you take them on you would have to make cuts to the plan or raise the prices.. who runs Hostress lol.

• LeeLee Veteran

zed said: this would have been way funnier if it happened under gvh_duke!

It did, he just moved it on before this happened.

• KrisKris Member

So... I guess I won't pay the invoice sent this morning?

Must have been a very interesting 14 hours...

• wasn't helped by whoever hacked their nodes. tdale did seem to be making an effort to clean it up and sort it out. a pity for him, his staff, and customers.

so I take it that hostress is dead too, not just the nugget-shit ?

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited August 2015

@Kris said:
    So... I guess I won't pay the invoice sent this morning?

Must have been a very interesting 14 hours...

That's their logic. We are not going to serve you as customer anymore, but we'll send you an invoice. Also, we'll send an invoice towards suspended VPS's as well.

Thanked by 2faulwurf KwiceroLTD
  • At least they deleted my details immediately when I asked, so it doesn't matter to me if the client details are sold on again.

• HVH don't seem to be buying the business, so shouldn't be entitled to the details.

• Ohh c'mon, whoever didn't see this all going to CC in the end is blind to reality. This was all posturing so they could keep what customers they had as long as possible to get whatever remaining money they could out of a sinking ship. This should really come as no surprise as this is the normal play here with all the CC/CVPS aquisitions... buy it (usually tell no one, but this was a bit of a high tension acquisition so they had to make some one in charge of it to run interference) and then a few months later we see a dozen threads about how much service is sucking and things not working out the shortly after some CC affiliate comes in and either scoops the customers up or offers to take on the customers and offer those with products they can't sustain the ability to still get 'a good deal' by moving to the HVH or another one of the many CC brands.

Basically long term bait and switch. I just wish people hadn't spent time pretending they believed this was actually going to get any better.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• LeeLee Veteran

It's the best thing to happen, kill it all off once and for all.

changing pricing was never going to work, the significant majority wanted a dedicated server worth of resources for $5 per month. You can't change those people.

I called it as did many others that @tdale would never make this work, largely because he expected things to happen, there was no real effort on his part albeit it would have succumbed eventually.

Thanked by 1neills
  • Welp, I only ever had a $8/yr plan with them. I got my money's worth I'd say.

• I'm actually happy. This had been the worst service I've ever had, better to just let it die than be sold again.

I wonder if they will delete my account data to prevent some future company buying the data. ..

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

"Alright everyone, I need you to go this direction now"

Sheep herding if I ever saw it.

• jhjh Member

ricardo said: Do they have a "we can terminate your service at any time of our choosing" in their ToS?

It doesn't matter - if you can't afford a half decent VPS, you cant afford a solicitor.

• I feel pity for customers who actually pay their invoices like one day before this email... And again, how long did you really expect Hostress to be able to keep GVH up :/

• ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

@TheLinuxBug said:
    Ohh c'mon, whoever didn't see this all going to CC in the end is blind to reality. This was all posturing so they could keep what customers they had as long as possible to get whatever remaining money they could out of a sinking ship. This should really come as no surprise as this is the normal play here with all the CC/CVPS aquisitions... buy it (usually tell no one, but this was a bit of a high tension acquisition so they had to make some one in charge of it to run interference) and then a few months later we see a dozen threads about how much service is sucking and things not working out the shortly after some CC affiliate comes in and either scoops the customers up or offers to take on the customers and offer those with products they can't sustain the ability to still get 'a good deal' by moving to the HVH or another one of the many CC brands.

Basically long term bait and switch. I just wish people hadn't spent time pretending they believed this was actually going to get any better.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

This is not true. At no time did we own the GVH VPS or shared customer. We do sympathize with them hence the reason we are keeping the servers up for an extra 30 days (which is out of our pocket) so the customers can move their data. Unfortunately we cannot keep servers online that are not paid for.

The plans that GVH had are not sustaining which is the reason we are not interested in absorbing the plans the customers are on. We are here and dedicated to our customers as well as any new customers. If someone has a VPS with hostress or any other provider and is interested in moving to us we are here to assist them in anyway possible.

• jhadley said: It doesn't matter - if you can't afford a half decent VPS, you cant afford a solicitor.

While it might be another reason for people to trample on GVH and its entrails, I'm more interested in the idea that it's a legitimate/compelling reason to charge back for anyone who decides to.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited August 2015

Off-topic:

Live chat: "Please open a ticket and we will assist you further'

Ticket: "A non-robotic response goes here"

I've resold HVH dedicated servers before, setup was fine (2 days) but I learned a lesson at HVH, and it's always use ticket support, not live chat.

• jhjh Member

@ricardo said:

It probably is. Different banks and card issuers are different though. My Mastercard sent me a 6 page form to fill out and attach evidence to, to dispute a £15 nightclub ticket that wasn't honoured. My Amex supposedly lets me have something removed from the statement while I'm on the phone. There are sometimes limitations on the time after the transaction as well, and transactions through Paypal usually have to follow Paypal's dispute process.

This discussion has been closed.